Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Club Finances

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poster View Post
    "Sligo are offering me €4,000 a week and another €5,000 if I turn up for training. Spread the word, maybe Pat's might up the offer"
    The players are already Sligo players (and happy there). YOu don't think I've any influence on who Pats try and sign, do you?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    God no, I was having a joke Dodge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Cool we have hit the bigtime at last , only reason we are been noticed is that most of the overspending clubs are now in the first division or just promoted from it , seen the source article in the News of World yesterday and it mentioned that via 400club,lotto and sponsorhip we bring in 7.5k a week before gate receipts are even taken into account . Would be reasonably happy with our spending and people in charge and FAI are watching closely as well it also helps that we don't have to pay rent or a mortgage for our ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dublinred View Post
    Cool we have hit the bigtime at last , only reason we are been noticed is that most of the overspending clubs are now in the first division or just promoted from it , seen the source article in the News of World yesterday and it mentioned that via 400club,lotto and sponsorhip we bring in 7.5k a week before gate receipts are even taken into account . Would be reasonably happy with our spending and people in charge and FAI are watching closely as well it also helps that we don't have to pay rent or a mortgage for our ground.
    Do you own the Showgrounds? And does the 400 Club pay for the weekly expenses, or is it servicing the debt if any?
    Sporting F*ck All!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dublinred View Post
    seen the source article in the News of World yesterday and it mentioned that via 400club,lotto and sponsorhip we bring in 7.5k a week before gate receipts are even taken into account .
    Fairly impressive stat, in fairness.

But just cos I know someone else will do this, if you take an average gate of 1700 @ E10 a head and 26 home games over the year (one every other week), that's E8.5k in gate receipts a week on average. Add that to the E7.5k a week you mention and that's E16k a week, or E832k for the year. So roughly E400k gate receipts, E400k lotto/sponsorship/400 club/etc, but still E400k of the E1.2m mentioned earlier (and I've no idea if that's accurate)

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    430 Posts
    I give it a week before there's a poorly observed Sligo Rovers boycott of foot.ie.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    So who are the possible 11 clubs that made a profit?

Most Likely:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Sligo Rovers
    Dundalk
    Cork City
    Derry City
    Monaghan Utd
    Limerick FC
    Shelbourne FC
    Finn Harps
    Athlone Town
    Longford Town

Possible:
    Bray Wanderers?
    Waterford Utd?
    Wexford Youths?
    Mervue Utd (presuming cause they are amateur they may have made a small profit)
    Salthill (presuming cause they are totally amateur they may have made a small profit)

Didn't:

St. Pats
    Bohs
    Sporting Fingal
    Drogheda
    Galway Utd
    UCD
    Last edited by Jofspring; 01/03/2011 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.F.C. View Post
    Do you own the Showgrounds? And does the 400 Club pay for the weekly expenses, or is it servicing the debt if any?
    The Showgies is owned in trust of the people of sligo town as far as I know.
    As in the club technically does not own the ground so it can never be sold.
    Now im not 100% sure about that, not big into land law tbh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Fairly impressive stat, in fairness.

But just cos I know someone else will do this, if you take an average gate of 1700 @ E10 a head and 26 home games over the year (one every other week), that's E8.5k in gate receipts a week on average. Add that to the E7.5k a week you mention and that's E16k a week, or E832k for the year. So roughly E400k gate receipts, E400k lotto/sponsorship/400 club/etc, but still E400k of the E1.2m mentioned earlier (and I've no idea if that's accurate)
    A showpiece friendly which we have about once a season, good cup runs in the FAI Cup, LC and Setanta, the car park, the super reds for kids, telly income, prize money, renting the astro-turf pitchs, selling players, merchandise, programs and other club productions such as the very successfull DVD released, the new credit card scheme, supporters renting out houses to players for next to nothing as insentives and numerous other stuff like getting free goals from the phone network 3 for fans switching to their network etc etc.
    It all adds up and like what was said all our accounts are laid bare at our AGM's because we are a members run club.
    None of it is secret.
    So unless someone can point out where we are making a loss or any actual evidence of our financial instability it really would be enlightening because as of now all we have is groundless accusations that are more at home on the always-ultra forum.
    And again I ask the shams fans when this alleged "financial investigation" into our finances are going to be published?
    Last edited by Rasputin; 28/02/2011 at 4:05 PM.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post

Most Likely:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Sligo Rovers
    Dundalk
    Cork City
    Derry City
    Monaghan Utd
    Limerick FC
    Shelbourne FC

Possible:
    Bray Wanderers?
    St. Pats?
    UCD?
    Athlone Town?
    Finn Harps?
    Waterford Utd?
    Longford?
    Wexford Youths?
    Salthill (presuming cause they are totally amateur they may have made a small profit)

Didn't:

Bohs
    Sporting Fingal
    Drogheda
    Galway Utd
    Harps made a profit last season. Only €11k but still a profit.

Plus, that €900k debts must surely be missing a zero?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    You're coming across as very bitter, jealous and childish in this thread Dodge.
    "Even if the sun ceases to rise, Even if the sea ceases to flow, Even if the wind stops to blow, The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning, glinting star in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    A showpiece friendly which we have about once a season, good cup runs in the FAI Cup, LC and Setanta, the car park, the super reds for kids, telly income, prize money, renting the astro-turf pitchs, selling players, merchandise, programs and other club productions such as the very successfull DVD released, the new credit card scheme, supporters renting out houses to players for next to nothing as insentives and numerous other stuff like getting free goals from the phone network 3 for fans switching to their network etc etc.
    It all adds up and like what was said all our accounts are laid bare at our AGM's because we are a members run club.
    None of it is secret.
    So unless someone can point out where we are making a loss or any actual evidence of our financial instability it really would be enlightening because as of now all we have is groundless accusations that are more at home on the always-ultra forum.
    And again I ask the shams fans when this alleged "financial investigation" into our finances are going to be published?
    I genuinely hope all is well with my hometown club, but let's face it - it's the LOI. It's Ireland. There's always a lesson that hasn't been learned, there's always a brown envelope, there's always a blind eye turned, there's always the 'shure, we'll be alright on the night' mentality that is just so hard to shake off. I think this is where the questions are coming from. We've all seen this happen so many times before that the idea of a club in no apparent financial difficulties is just hard to accept.

15. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    The Showgrounds is owned in trust for Rovers by the people of Sligo. There is a dept but its a internal one and isn't much left on it I reckon 18 months we'll have it paid off fully. The 400 is for the day to day running of the club, we also have the astro turf pitch which brings in a weekly income along with fundraisers throughout the season. Since the club became a co op in 1988 we have never been in such a solid financial state.
    Misfits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw82 View Post
    I genuinely hope all is well with my hometown club, but let's face it - it's the LOI. It's Ireland. There's always a lesson that hasn't been learned, there's always a brown envelope, there's always a blind eye turned, there's always the 'shure, we'll be alright on the night' mentality that is just so hard to shake off. I think this is where the questions are coming from. We've all seen this happen so many times before that the idea of a club in no apparent financial difficulties is just hard to accept.
    Oh I can understand completely where alot of the fans reservations are coming from (bar Shams fans who just concoct blatant lies) but all the evidence I have seen would suggest we are in a solid financial footing.
    As for all the other clubs that you say had "no apparent financial difficulties", well from what I saw we all knew Sporting Franchise was just another Dublin City, it was not a viable enterprise because it was being bankrolled by Gannon, Bohs whole collapse stemmed directly from the financial property bubble collapsing but we are not mortgaging our ground, Drogs also had big money men behind them in an unsustainable affair which we do not, Cork was showing accumulated defecits for a few years if im not mistaken and I havent got a clue what was known about Derrys financial dealings but none of them were sustainable models hence why they collapsed, we dont have any of those models.
    Like I have said repeatedly, the accounts were shown to the members, we have nothing to hide and unless some evidence can be garnered saying the opposite to that then my opinion wont be changed.
    Last edited by Rasputin; 28/02/2011 at 4:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post

Most Likely:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Sligo Rovers
    Dundalk
    Cork City
    Derry City
    Monaghan Utd
    Limerick FC
    Shelbourne FC

Possible:
    Bray Wanderers?
    St. Pats?
    UCD?
    Athlone Town?
    Finn Harps?
    Waterford Utd?
    Longford?
    Wexford Youths?

Didn't:

Bohs
    Sporting Fingal
    Drogheda
    Galway Utd
    You can take us off the possible list, we did not make a profit last year
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    dublin city
    shels
    drogheda
    cork city
    derry city
    bohs
    sporting fingal
    galway utd

all these clubs have screwed up off the field, and even sligo posted trouble in the recent past. on foot.ie, the common denominator amongst posters from each of these clubs has been 'nothing to see here'. hell, i've been guilty of it myself. excuse the cynicism and spare the righteous indignation if it seems to be happening again. yes, there may not be any evidence either way, but with the nature of the LoI, history has shown that it's usually a better bet to expect the worse. i don't think anyone is hoping or wishing for sligo to have financial bother, but we'll wait and see how the season runs for a bit first.
    i believe in one man, one vote. i should be that one man with that one vote.

ALWAYS ON TOUR!

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    but i think the difference here is that any accusations against Sligo seemed to be based on a hunch or based on player hearsay type stuff as opposed to anything substantial. Its all a bit ridiculous if you aske me.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Think we made €4k last year.
    Sporting F*ck All!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    agree stu, can't see any basis for it myself. but then, those amongst the derry fans who warned of trouble were repeatedly shouted down and ostracised. I've learned to be overly skeptical of defensive arguments and statements from clubs and fans. bit harsh yes, but the LoI clubs have form for screwing things up, sometimes quite quickly.
    i believe in one man, one vote. i should be that one man with that one vote.

ALWAYS ON TOUR!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Attn Rasputin: The rumours of the FAI investigating Sligo for alleged under the table payments to players first surfaced on the Bohs forum, not from Rovers fans.

http://www.thebohs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15031

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast