Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Central Contracts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts

Central Contracts

These were brought up in another thread.

How would they work if brought in in the League of Ireland, and what would be the legality of them with regard to the EU?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Legally they'd work, the players would be employed by a company (the FAI for example) and there would be set guidelines on salaries etc. No club would hire players they couldn't afford and funds received from transfers out of the league would go centrally with a chunk to the selling club and the rest divided for different purposes. In addition taxes would be paid centrally (from source) and a salary cap would be perfectly permitted under company rules/regulations. It means that clubs would be tightly regulated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer This is an obvious path (scroll down to organization)

It would and could and should work in Ireland, but it's rarely that turkeys vote for Christmas. There are too many egos and grubbers grabbing small change to let it live.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    To be honest I just wouldn't trust the people at the top currently running the FAI with that much power. With other people at the top it could work but not anytime soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    I wouldn't trust them with that power either. At the end of the day clubs should be capable to run their own financial affairs. If they can't/don't they will go bust. It is in clubs best interests that they do not go above spending 65% on player wages.
    Hopefully Shamrock Rovers and Sligo Rovers can do their bit this season to keep stories on the what's happening on the field of play. Most of the talk going into the new season should be on both of these clubs after the great day that was the FAI Cup Final 2010, a great show advertisement for the domestic game.
    Also with the licences handed out, credit should go to Cobh, Carlow, Tralee and Fanad Utd who are putting every effort to be part of the LoI. If more regions put put in this effort, the game will be in a stronger position in this country.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    So basically the players sign a contract with the MLS, and then the individual clubs "rent" them, for the cost of the wages?

I like the sound of that, and it sounds ideal for the LOI. Of course, the FAI aren't doing much to convince people that they can be trusted with holding all the contracts. I can only imagine the havoc they would have wreaked on Limerick's squad for this whole legal action thing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Let's see how both Shamrock Rovers and Sligo Rovers get on. They seem to be going about their business ok, though I guess we have hoped for this before. Hopefully with these clubs, we've turned a corner where clubs are being more sensible about their finances. I hope their finances are sound, that they are successful and that it will be an example for all other clubs in how to run a football club both on and off the field.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    So basically the players sign a contract with the MLS, and then the individual clubs "rent" them, for the cost of the wages?

I like the sound of that, and it sounds ideal for the LOI. Of course, the FAI aren't doing much to convince people that they can be trusted with holding all the contracts. I can only imagine the havoc they would have wreaked on Limerick's squad for this whole legal action thing!
    This is exactly what i was thinking.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Peadar and BWA, of course trust in the FAI would be difficult, however it doesn't have to be the FAI who look after the central contracts. Of course we'd like to think they can behave like the IRFU (who also need a good kickstart at times), but a commercial entity can be set up to run the league. Now this goes against every anti-monopoly bone in my bone, though it would almost mean having a closed league akin to what it is at present - teams applying for licences etc. However there is a way around it, you have the top 2 leagues with 12 and 12 clubs, below that you don't have reserve teams, you have distinct farm clubs or feeder teams (though there would be under 18 and 20 leagues). In North American sports it works well, though there is no upward movement (normally). Instead you have distinct tiers of leagues from Major down through AAA, AA, A and Minor A leagues. And therein lies the rub.

Can anybody see the LSL, MSL or any other league allowing reconfiguration and realignment which would cost them their place at the FAI trough? Personally I can't, they have a certain amount of power that is milked and plamased by JD and his minions, change would mean change of thinking and a new approach, this would scare the life out of most people we know involved in Junior football.

So ultimately contracts won't work from the ground up, top down. Though it is a fantastic idea in many senses, it will fall into the realm of having a proper pyramid structure, All-Ireland league and financial sensibility as concepts that have no place in LOI. (Sorry to be so negative, it's the half bottle of red leftover from Monday that didn't go down well last night).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    So ultimately contracts won't work from the ground up, top down. Though it is a fantastic idea in many senses, it will fall into the realm of having a proper pyramid structure, All-Ireland league and financial sensibility as concepts that have no place in LOI. (Sorry to be so negative, it's the half bottle of red leftover from Monday that didn't go down well last night).
    Agreed, this is the way it is and it's not likely to change. At least the league isn't an entirely closed league and looks set to remain so with the proposed Reserve League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Peadar and BWA, of course trust in the FAI would be difficult, however it doesn't have to be the FAI who look after the central contracts. Of course we'd like to think they can behave like the IRFU (who also need a good kickstart at times), but a commercial entity can be set up to run the league. Now this goes against every anti-monopoly bone in my bone, though it would almost mean having a closed league akin to what it is at present - teams applying for licences etc. However there is a way around it, you have the top 2 leagues with 12 and 12 clubs, below that you don't have reserve teams, you have distinct farm clubs or feeder teams (though there would be under 18 and 20 leagues). In North American sports it works well, though there is no upward movement (normally). Instead you have distinct tiers of leagues from Major down through AAA, AA, A and Minor A leagues. And therein lies the rub.

Can anybody see the LSL, MSL or any other league allowing reconfiguration and realignment which would cost them their place at the FAI trough? Personally I can't, they have a certain amount of power that is milked and plamased by JD and his minions, change would mean change of thinking and a new approach, this would scare the life out of most people we know involved in Junior football.

I know absolutely zilch about business, could the organising authority be set up as some sort of charitable foundation idea, so they're not allowed to turn a profit? And would the LOI really need the junior clubs to go along with this for it to happen? Probably the best way to ever get them on board for some sort of integrated system is to make the LOI as strong as possible in its own right. If we can ever get to the situation where LOI clubs are living comfortably and sustainably off their matchday and sponsorship income, I think a lot of junior clubs are going to want in.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,258 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    These were brought up in another thread.

How would they work if brought in in the League of Ireland
    What would be the benefits of central contracts? Or what would they be trying to achieve?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    What would be the benefits of central contracts? Or what would they be trying to achieve?
    You tell me. Finding out was the whole point of starting the thread

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,258 Posts
    Ah, ok. I can't see any point, tbh. Certainly not as long as the FAI think Bohs are in ok nick for a licence. Out of the frying pan and into the fire and all that. But yeah, see where the thread goes.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Aren't central contracts only used (and useful) when the players being awarded the contracts are internationals who the national association need available for international games? That seems to be how it works in rugby and cricket anyway. I've never seen it in football, and LOI players certainly aren't required for Irish national duty.

I can't see anything in it for the FAI whatsoever.
    Last edited by osarusan; 16/02/2011 at 4:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Aren't central contracts only used (and useful) when the players being awarded the contracts are internationals who the national association need available for international games? That seems to be how it works in rugby and cricket anyway. I've never seen it in football, and LOI players certainly aren't required for Irish national duty.

I can't see anything in it for the FAI whatsoever.

I think the major advantage for a league like the LOI is that it would allow greater central control by the central authority. Of course, the major disadvantage for a league like the LOI is that it would allow greater central control by the central authority!

One other advantage I can think of is that a larger body would have more financial clout, and would be able to offer players longer contracts, therefore pushing up transfer fees, at least to foreign clubs. To what degree this effect would actually be seen is debatable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I've never seen it in football, and LOI players certainly aren't required for Irish national duty.
    MLS use them, though their system is so drastically different it's barely worth comparison.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,650 Posts
    there is a lot that could be gained by adopting the way american sports are adminstered but, again, the vested interests in Irish football mean theres a snowballs chance in hell of that ever happening!

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Can anyone explain in 500 words or less exactly how the MLS system works?

Tried in on fm one time: 5th draft pick, 9th draft pick, WTF, exit game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,650 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Can anyone explain in 500 words or less exactly how the MLS system works?
    that is literally impossible.

here are some links though that i have found informative.

http://www.bagsynotin.net/2010/12/th...ls-superdraft/

http://soccerlens.com/how-the-mls-system-works/6235/ (older but gives good overview)

Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Tried in on fm one time: 5th draft pick, 9th draft pick, WTF, exit game.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Is there a way it could be done without a draft?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast