Results 7,681 to 7,700 of 7722

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Pretty sure he's not eligible, unless you have evidence to the contrary?
    only throughout several comrades of the cause, over the last five years or more time like 8 years when Trap. Forde was the keeper.

He Is the guy who used to play for Reading when a bunch of irish were there as well

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Even though we are desperate for keepers. Just no no. The man has played for England. He is not Irish please no

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Even though we are desperate for keepers. Just no no. The man has played for England. He is not Irish please no
    We need cover for Randolph just in case Westwood retires

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    He may not want to play for us and the England Goalkeeping spot is not exactly tied down ! !

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    He may not want to play for us and the England Goalkeeping spot is not exactly tied down ! !
    I checked, some irish journalists said so and the player Shane Long back in 2011, he talked about him and Alex Pearce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Wasn't really sure which section to put this one into.

An interesting discussion on the history of the football split in Ireland, an All Ireland team, an AIL, flags and anthems etc, etc.

Irish Soccer, Past History and Future Prospects

"The history of the IFA and FAI and the potential and the challenges of bringing them together. Speakers: Cormac Moore an Irish historian to address the history of the two organisations. Gerry Carlile a businessman and sports agent, addressing future issues. Chair: Brendan Crossan, Irish News Sports Commentator."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctehoBoGO7Y

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post

Frankly I find it insulting to the kids and their families who might not be ethnically 100% Irish, but are as committed as those who are. It's an insult to their own backgrounds, to their local clubs and coaches, and to us as well. I'm not necessarily throwing punches at you specifically backs, but this is a narrative that's almost out of control on social media - cap him, tie him down - it's a moveable feast with FIFA, and they'll continue to change goalposts as they see fit, or as money sees fit.
    Just look at the current 17s squad. On name alone - without knowing much about them - there's maybe 10 that have dual heritage at least. That's the type of ratio that we'll be looking at for years to come.
    Tsk, in your head maybe. Gibberish. The reality is there are a lot of dual nationality kids out there, its a FACT. You are allowed to have dual nationality. I hope some day my two kids can play for their country......but what country is that who knows! No one cares.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    You’re a bit dim at the best times Bennocelt. Hopefully the kids take after their mother
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    You’re a bit dim at the best times Bennocelt. Hopefully the kids take after their mother

He's only a bit dim some of the time but he's capable of owning up to it , potentially.
    But re FIFA's changing their goalposts, I do not agree with you. The FIFA regulations on eligibility do change but for the most part it's an evolution in favor of the rights of the dual national player.
    The changes have nothing to do with money or favoring the big nations. Possibly there are votes to be gained from the ex colonial country in Africa but i think that motive has little currency.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    But re FIFA's changing their goalposts, I do not agree with you. The FIFA regulations on eligibility do change but for the most part it's an evolution in favor of the rights of the dual national player.
    The changes have nothing to do with money or favoring the big nations. Possibly there are votes to be gained from the ex colonial country in Africa but i think that motive has little currency.
    I have no problem with dual, triple or whatever rights players. I have them in my own extended family. I don't see how Irish people of all nationalities could be opposed to it.
    The comment about FiFA changing goalposts to suit them - I never mentioned big nations? My comment was in relation to the notion that capping a player - Obafemi for example - to tie him down, becomes irrelevant if FIFA changes the rules subsequently. Which they have done a few times on "nationality". We should cap players who deserve to be capped, nothing else.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Interesting reading recently : https://www.the42.ie/ireland-eligibi...76145-Oct2021/

Quote Originally Posted by Ogbene View Post
    “I guess it was the best decision that he made for his family, and I’m reaping the rewards for being here.” Stephen Kenny made Ogbene’s eligibility for Ireland a priority, and set it in motion on his second day in the job.

“There was a long process to get him registered to play for us”, said Kenny. “The process was with Uefa and Fifa, and having to trawl through records, which I didn’t feel was right. He was living in Cork since he was seven.”

It took 14 months and reams of paperwork to satisfy Fifa’s requests. Ogbene submitted school records from primary school and secondary school, a chronology of the family’s time in Ireland, a proof of address, proof of his parents’ jobs, and character references from teachers and the local community.

All had to be done to comply with Fifa’s shifting eligibility rules. Under the latest guidelines, the FAI and Ogbene had to show that he had lived here for three years before the age of 10, and also prove he did not move here solely so Ogbene would become a professional footballer.
    And the other side of this, rough on him as it seems he's still not 'Irish' which is ridiculous IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim Kouogun View Post
    Maxim Kouogun moved to Ireland when he was five months old, holds Irish citizenship, but he has yet to be deemed eligible to play football for Ireland.

Kouogun was born in Cameroon but was all of five months old when his parents moved to Ireland, initially to Celbridge and then to Leixlip. “They came here for a better life”, says Kouogun, “a better standard of life and future for myself and my siblings.”It was while at Cherry Orchard that Kouogun came to the attention of Tom Mohan, then the Irish U17s manager.

By this point Kouogun had Irish citizenship – granted when his mother was granted hers – and was selected in the squad for a double-header of European qualifiers in Armenia.

“The squad was announced on the Monday or Tuesday and we were due to travel on the Saturday”, he remembers. “Then, on Wednesday evening, Tom Mohan gave me a call to ask if I was born in Ireland. I told him ‘No, but I have my citizenship.’ He said, ‘No problem, I am going to ring you tomorrow to clarify a few things.’

“I was completely in the dark and didn’t know what was happening. The following day – I don’t mean to sound bad or anything – but I was excited and went and bought new football boots for my trip. My mum picked me up from Liffey Valley with my new boots but while I was at school she had taken a call from Tom Mohan to say I couldn’t travel because of eligibility issues.“I hadn’t a clue. I was under the impression I was Irish. I came here when I was five months old, I had my Irish citizenship as I had been in the country for so long and had gone through the schooling system. I was Irish. My mum was Irish, my siblings were Irish. Myself and my mum had Irish citizenship, my two younger siblings were born here. I was completely unaware that there would be any doubt about my eligibility.”

Mohan could play Kouogun in friendly matches – he excelled in one appearance against Latvia – but couldn’t play him in competitive matches, and thus began the long process to prove to Fifa he was eligible to play for Ireland.

“I was told by the FAI that Fifa required school transcripts, proof of attendance through all of primary school and proof of attendance through all of secondary school. I remember I had to submit a proof of address of where I was living, and I remember going into Garda station and having to request a letter from them as well.”

Meanwhile, the years ticked by. He got a scholarship to UCD, playing there while getting degrees at undergraduate and masters level. While he had opportunities at club level, nothing was moving at international level.

Having missed his chance with the U17s, Paul Doolin tried to cap him with the U19s, but that chance slipped by too. Same story when it came to Noel King with the U21s.

“I was in and out of the FAI, submitting paperwork, from school transcripts to garda letters proving my proof of address since I was in the country, school reports. Everything. And it never manifested into success.

“Anytime they came back requesting a document, I provided it, but it never seemed to manifest in success.”

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Would Hondermarck have to jump through the same hoops?

It's ridiculous that children are being treated with the same scrutiny as adult, already professional players moving and becoming residents.

Wouldn't these rules make it difficult for Odubeko to get his dream England cap too? He literally only moved there to become a professional

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Would Hondermarck have to jump through the same hoops?

It's ridiculous that children are being treated with the same scrutiny as adult, already professional players moving and becoming residents.

Wouldn't these rules make it difficult for Odubeko to get his dream England cap too? He literally only moved there to become a professional
    Being born an EU citizen might help Hondermarck get his paperwork sorted faster. Has his Irish passport since last year according to an interview a few days ago and seems to be in some contact with Jim Crawford. If it does drag on his mother is Congolese born so could play with them.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    I was under the impression that once you had a passport you were eligible but it seems not ? Crazy. I’d much rather see the likes of Ogbene playing for us than some second or third generation lad who has never set foot in the country. Nothing against those guys, but I don’t see how you can have the same feeling as someone who grew up here.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I was under the impression that once you had a passport you were eligible but it seems not ? Crazy. I’d much rather see the likes of Ogbene playing for us than some second or third generation lad who has never set foot in the country. Nothing against those guys, but I don’t see how you can have the same feeling as someone who grew up here.
    Fully agree, it makes little sense. In the full article, both players reference Quatari behaviour in importing players for their national side as the reason they faced this, Quatar get to host a world cup & Kougoun will most likely never represent, at any level, the country he sees as his, which it is.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I think there have been quite a few 2nd generation players who have had a real affinity with Ireland starting with the likes of Shay Brennan and Charley Gallagher. Kilbane would be the outstanding example, but there are many more Walters, Aldridge, Sheedy, Carsley etc who were clearly not playing for us for opportunistic reasons. There have been a few mercenaries along the way too. The worrying thing is that we have missed out on so many 2nd G players of late for reasons that have more to with career prospects than identity or affinity. Playing for England has a massive income generating potential, and the prospect of almost automatic qualification for tournaments. It’s probably not a coincidence that we attracted more 2nd and 3rd G players when we had a better team and got to finals.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Shivers in more ways than one...
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    In fairness in those days there was probably a lot of Irish Kids ( well children of Irish People ) in some of the London schools.