Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Really?

Because that's not making an awful sense considered McClean has stated repeatedly the exact opposite...

I don't know what he said on his Facebook page but there's been much discussion about how littered it is with his political persuasions...

But anyhoo I know the guy's an ROI fan and he's said as much so...I still don't know what you're getting at. Do you actually have a problem with a guy choosing to play for his country at the risk of not playing international football at all? Isn't that better for both ROI and NI fans?

The only person who's used it as a fallback is Alex Bruce. Gibson, Wilson, McClean et al have chosen to represent their country even though they've faced bitter recrimination and far more competition for squad places. McCourt and McGinn chose to play for the NI presumably because they would be honoured to play international football for Norn Iron and, to a certain extent, felt they wouldn't break in to the ROI set-up (remember McCourt was capped very young, back in 2002). I still don't quite grasp if you're having a go at these guys and, if so, why, but throwing round words like mercenary in relation to them is disrespectful.

It isn't a fallback, but as I said, it is a gift to have the opportunity to play for both and players shouldn't abuse it. Having said that anyone who thinks it's 'nice to have a fallback' should remember how real nice the last 40 years and hundreds previous have been...
    I never said or suggested that he's not an ROI fan - he's blocked his Facebook page so I cant post the comment - but he posted along the lines that it would be more beneficial to his career that he declare for us - as I stated previously - and as I stated nothing to do with him being an ROI supporter all his life.

Has he now rushed his decision to declare for us to up his profile as can be construed from his comments.

And as I stated would he have done the same were he still with Derry?

We dont know but it's a question that worth asking.

As for your comment regarding the last 40 or years previous.....I'm not from there so I cant comment on what that was like. I'm going on a purely non-political basis regardless of what his are.

Could therefore the same point be made or even more so about O'Kane who has been with the NI set up from the U16's up.
    Last edited by greendeiseboy; 16/08/2011 at 5:39 PM.
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    I never said or suggested that he's not an ROI fan - he's blocked his Facebook page so I cant post the comment - but he posted along the lines that it would be more beneficial to his career that he declare for us - as I stated previously - and as I stated nothing to do with him being an ROI supporter all his life.
    Well he's also stated: “However, it’s always been my dream to play for the Republic and hopefully that will become a reality now that I’m going to be a Sunderland player.”

Besides regardless of what he said - this move won't be more beneficial. Realistically he won't be breaking into the international squad for the foreseeable future and it's uncertain he ever will. He almost certainly would've got an NI cap or two at some point or other.

If you're saying McClean is being in some way a mercenary and has no affinity to the ROI, you are way off. Surely it's simpler - and more evident - to suggest McClean is taking a tougher route to international football but one he sees as more worthwhile because it's for HIS country.

Has he now rushed his decision to declare for us to up his profile as can be construed from his comments.
    This suggestion is downright weird, since it didn't up his profile in any meaningful way but did give the NI media and their fans a chance to collectively have a go. The only real reason to make that decision is because he wanted to play for HIS country.

And as I stated would he have done the same were he still with Derry?
    It's impossible to say. But what's the point of the question? You seem to be suggesting McClean is putting his own personal profile over the honour of representing his country (or any country). But that's another weird suggestion. Because, if anything his decision is the bravest and most honest one he could've made.

If he actually wanted the profile boost and didn't care for the ROI, he could play internationals in the near future. But he's eschewed that in favour of declaring for a tougher side to break into but the one he actually wants to play for. Just because the guy's at Sunderland doesn't mean he'll make it as an international. McClean could've chosen the easy option, but he didn't. There is nothing to be gained from his decision except the possible honour of playing for HIS country.

We dont know but it's a question that worth asking.
    Why? Again I still don't know what you're trying to suggest to McClean but I think you're barking up some kind of mercenary tree for some really odd reasons....

As for your comment regarding the last 40 or 400 years.....I'm not from there so I cant comment on what that was like. I'm going on a purely non-political basis regardless of what his are.
    I didn't say it to be political, but only as a warning shot to anyone who thinks these issues over nationalities are in anyway easy. In footballing terms, the NI/ROI situation may seem very cosy. But, realistically, it's not some situation that simply dropped out of the sky. The circumstances through which they've come about should not be taken for granted.

Could therefore the same point be made or even more so about O'Kane who has been with the NI set up from the U16's up.
    Again I'm not sure what point.

All I'm saying is this - for the likes of O'Kane, McClean etc they could've gotten an easier possibility of international caps playing for NI. They've thrown they're hat in with us and the only real reason they would do that is because they genuinely want to play for us. McClean may never make it and I'm fairly certain O'Kane won't but I think they should be credited for being definitive (albeit late) on their futures. And I think it's great to see NI born players exerting their rights to declare for their country.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    So everybody who wants to play for Ireland is a 'republican'?? Yeah, right.
    Clearly you don't have much knowledge of what the phrase even means, beyond certain ill-conceived myths....
    Who said that? Or, is that your paranoia kicking in (again)?

Clearly, James McClean sees himself as an Irish Republican.

I am well aware of the "ethos" of Irish Repuiblicanism, thanks all the same - from reading some of your posts, I think it is YOU who doesn't understand what the phrase really means.

Why would a true Irish Republican ever represent Northern Ireland?

Come to think of it, why would any true Republican support the partitionist team representing the territory of the 26 Counties?
    Last edited by Not Brazil; 16/08/2011 at 6:51 PM.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    And I think it's great to see NI born players exerting their rights to declare for their country.
    It would be even better to see them exerting their rights to declare for "their country", before they ever represent Northern Ireland.
    Last edited by Not Brazil; 16/08/2011 at 7:12 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    Who said that? Or, is that your paranoia kicking in (again)?

Clearly, James McClean* sees himself as an Irish Republican.
    You did, up thread, more than once. Selective amnesia or whataboutery? Not to mention hypocrisy.

Because McClean* supports SF? Next you'll be telling me every Unionist who votes DUP supports the UVF & UDA...

Am well aware of the basic precepts of republicanism ( & loyalism), mainly because I have made the efforts to talk to those who were involved.

As for playing the North;it's down to the individual surely.

Doubtless the likes of Sammy Clingan would have a re-think given the chance again whilst many decent nationalists also play GAA to escape the clutches of the IFA.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Well he's also stated: “However, it’s always been my dream to play for the Republic and hopefully that will become a reality now that I’m going to be a Sunderland player.”

Besides regardless of what he said - this move won't be more beneficial. Realistically he won't be breaking into the international squad for the foreseeable future and it's uncertain he ever will. He almost certainly would've got an NI cap or two at some point or other.

If you're saying McClean is being in some way a mercenary and has no affinity to the ROI, you are way off. Surely it's simpler - and more evident - to suggest McClean is taking a tougher route to international football but one he sees as more worthwhile because it's for HIS country.

This suggestion is downright weird, since it didn't up his profile in any meaningful way but did give the NI media and their fans a chance to collectively have a go. The only real reason to make that decision is because he wanted to play for HIS country.

It's impossible to say. But what's the point of the question? You seem to be suggesting McClean is putting his own personal profile over the honour of representing his country (or any country). But that's another weird suggestion. Because, if anything his decision is the bravest and most honest one he could've made.

If he actually wanted the profile boost and didn't care for the ROI, he could play internationals in the near future. But he's eschewed that in favour of declaring for a tougher side to break into but the one he actually wants to play for. Just because the guy's at Sunderland doesn't mean he'll make it as an international. McClean could've chosen the easy option, but he didn't. There is nothing to be gained from his decision except the possible honour of playing for HIS country.

Why? Again I still don't know what you're trying to suggest to McClean but I think you're barking up some kind of mercenary tree for some really odd reasons....

I didn't say it to be political, but only as a warning shot to anyone who thinks these issues over nationalities are in anyway easy. In footballing terms, the NI/ROI situation may seem very cosy. But, realistically, it's not some situation that simply dropped out of the sky. The circumstances through which they've come about should not be taken for granted.

Again I'm not sure what point.

All I'm saying is this - for the likes of O'Kane, McClean etc they could've gotten an easier possibility of international caps playing for NI. They've thrown they're hat in with us and the only real reason they would do that is because they genuinely want to play for us. McClean may never make it and I'm fairly certain O'Kane won't but I think they should be credited for being definitive (albeit late) on their futures. And I think it's great to see NI born players exerting their rights to declare for their country.
    Never said he was a mercenary, Never said he had no affinity to the Republic. You obviously havent read all of what I said.

I started off earlier questioning why O'Kane is now declaring for us when realistically he has very little chance of playing for us especially given that he's been involved with the North since the under 16's - regardless of where his national identity lies, I see no benefit in him declaring for us. So wouldn't he be bettr off staying with NI?

Nothing weird or cryptic in that!

I questioned one thing about McClean and that was if he was using declaring for us to up his profile and you twist it to make out that I said he was some kind of mercenary etc - when that wasnt the point of my question.

I never once said that I thought there was anything wrong in him doing that either.

I asked whether certain players were therefore using NI as a flag of convenience seeing as their first choice, ROI, would have been out of their reach - which you explained well in fairness -But that can be said for anyone declaring for a country other than that of their birth not just in this case

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    You did, up thread, more than once. Selective amnesia or whataboutery? Not to mention hypocrisy.

Because McClean* supports SF? Next you'll be telling me every Unionist who votes DUP supports the UVF & UDA...

Am well aware of the basic precepts of republicanism ( & loyalism), mainly because I have made the efforts to talk to those who were involved.

As for playing the North;it's down to the individual surely.

Doubtless the likes of Sammy Clingan would have a re-think given the chance again whilst many decent nationalists also play GAA to escape the clutches of the IFA.
    I have suggested that it is quite rational and logical for an Irish Nationalist/Republican to want to play for/ support the South. The clue is in "republican".

What I'm unclear about is why a steadfast and principled Irish Republican would ever represent an international team representing a British Association (as defined by FIFA) and a territory which forms part of the United Kingdom.

The last time I looked, (P)SF clearly style themselves as an Irish Republican Party - so, therefore, it seems reasonable to assume that young McClean's support for (P)SF would be indicative of an Irish republican outlook.

I'm an unapologetic Unionist and Loyalist - I totally denounce the UVF and UDA. It is they, not me, who has a misguided sense of "loyalty", and what that means.

It is you who seems to always equate Republicanism and Loyalism with paramilitarism - not me! Although, in the case of (P)SF, they don't hide their admiration for paramilitaries, as evidenced on their website and other publications.

What do you mean by "those who were involved". We're all "involved".

However, we digress.

I met with members Sammy Clinghan's family (mother and sister) at a supporters function in The Hilton Hotel, Belfast a couple of years back - his family travel extensively to watch him play. Sammy loves playing for Northern ireland, and his family are very proud of him.

Those Northern Irish born players who have switched to the South of late, have exclusively been from a nationalist/republican background.

Perhaps we'll see the day when a great prospect, born in Northern Ireland, from a Unionist/Loyalist background declares for the FAI before ever representing the IFA - and then plays for the South through all ages, up to his senior international call up. At that point he'll realise what his "childhood dream" really was, and will switch to the IFA?

PS. I know one or two "decent nationalists" who gave up playing GAA to embrace the opportunity to play for my favourite club side. One of them scored the winner in last season's Irish Cup Final. And how we celebrated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    regardless of where his national identity lies, I see no benefit in him declaring for us. So wouldn't he be bettr off staying with NI?
    Maybe it's dawned on him that Northern Ireland isn't "his country", and has decided to stop living a lie and be honest to himself?

He's got off the uncomfortable fence he found himself on?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Maybe it's dawned on him that Northern Ireland isn't "his country", and has decided to stop living a lie and be honest to himself?

He's got off the uncomfortable fence he found himself on?
    Well he sat on it since the under 16's with ye - I'd say his ass is ruined with the splinters embedded in it!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Well he sat on it since the under 16's with ye - I'd say his ass is ruined with the splinters embedded in it!!
    At 16 & 17 is international football not determined by where you go to school (in terms of territory), and is therefore a different kettle of fish?

I'd cut 16 & 17 year olds some slack on this matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky-O'Hare View Post
    I don't think any catholic in the right mind would be proud to stand for GStQ as their own national anthem. Lets be realistic here.
    I presume you mean any Nationalist/Republican in their right mind, as opposed to "any Catholic"?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    At 16 & 17 is international football not determined by where you go to school (in terms of territory), and is therefore a different kettle of fish?

I'd cut 16 & 17 year olds some slack on this matter.
    No, you're not correct there, James MCarthy played under 17 for us - along with many others who didnt go to school here. There are schoolboy teams which are different to national teams alright where you have to be going to school in that country as in the case of Daniel Kearns (discussed earlier) who played one week for us and the next week for NI schools agaist us
    Last edited by greendeiseboy; 16/08/2011 at 8:43 PM.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    No, you're not correct there, James MCarthy played under 17 for us - along with many others who didnt go to school here. There are schoolboy teams which are different to national teams alright where you have to be going to school in that country as in the case of Daniel Kearns (discussed earlier) who played one week for us and the next week for NI schools agaist us
    The NISFA are responsible for internationals at Under 15, Under 16 & Under 18 levels.

The IFA are directly responsible for representative teams at Under 17, Under 19, Under 21 and Senior levels.
    Last edited by Not Brazil; 16/08/2011 at 8:52 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    The NISFA are responsible for internationals at Under 15, Under 16 & Under 18 levels.

The IFA are directly responsible for representative teams at Under 17, Under 19, Under 21 and Senior levels.
    Yeah, the SFAI are responsible for the schoolboy teams here.

But the youth national teams start here at U15 up to the U18's

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    PS. I know one or two "decent nationalists" who gave up playing GAA to embrace the opportunity to play for my favourite club side. One of them scored the winner in last season's Irish Cup Final. And how we celebrated.
    What do you mean by embrace? I am somewhat confused, unless of course that was your intention. There is a huge difference between focusing on one sport or another, or even in the case of professional football giving up other sports, however that does not mean in any shape or form, that one "embraces" one sport more by doing so.

I don't know why that annoyed me, but the way you said it I'm pretty sure you knew what you meant in this case.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Never said he was a mercenary, Never said he had no affinity to the Republic. You obviously havent read all of what I said.

I started off earlier questioning why O'Kane is now declaring for us when realistically he has very little chance of playing for us especially given that he's been involved with the North since the under 16's - regardless of where his national identity lies, I see no benefit in him declaring for us. So wouldn't he be bettr off staying with NI?

Nothing weird or cryptic in that!

I questioned one thing about McClean and that was if he was using declaring for us to up his profile and you twist it to make out that I said he was some kind of mercenary etc - when that wasnt the point of my question.

I never once said that I thought there was anything wrong in him doing that either.

I asked whether certain players were therefore using NI as a flag of convenience seeing as their first choice, ROI, would have been out of their reach - which you explained well in fairness -But that can be said for anyone declaring for a country other than that of their birth not just in this case
    Apologies if I took what you said out of context but, if I'm honest, I wasn't sure what point you were making. Was a bit vague to me tbh.

The benefit for Eunan O'Kane is he's being honest with himself and NI fans, as NB pointed out. Anyway to answer your point, without reference to mercenaries - no, I don't think they're doing it to boost their profile!
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Gerry Armstrong has a job like the little Dutch boy with his finger in the dyke. (I await the smart ass comments!) The Linfield u15s will soon be representing NI and a few League One players. The constant reference by NB to Irish Republicans shows how politics has certainly influenced the decisions made by many to join us. I have asked this question before, why don't the NI supporters who come on here stop avoiding the issue of why players are moving, solve it and offer the necessary pastoral care that is evidently needed to ensure this does not continue. Dissecting posts, offering irrational reasons why as well as becoming bitter are not our issue, but yours.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    I have suggested that it is quite rational and logical for an Irish Nationalist/Republican to want to play for/ support the South. The clue is in "republican".
    Er, no. If they were as dogmatic as you claim, it would be a UI team....

What I'm unclear about is why a steadfast and principled Irish Republican would ever represent an international team representing a British Association (as defined by FIFA) and a territory which forms part of the United Kingdom.
    Hmm and this says what exactly?
    Doubtless numerous have, as they were previously coerced into doing so. But that's largely history for now.

The last time I looked, (P)SF clearly style themselves as an Irish Republican Party - so, therefore, it seems reasonable to assume that young McClean's support for (P)SF would be indicative of an Irish republican outlook.
    This mythical (P) meaning what exactly...

I'm an unapologetic Unionist and Loyalist - I totally denounce the UVF and UDA. It is they, not me, who has a misguided sense of "loyalty", and what that means.
    I don't doubt it, so what?
    That you don't speak for the majority of your community?

It is you who seems to always equate Republicanism and Loyalism with paramilitarism - not me! Although, in the case of (P)SF, they don't hide their admiration for paramilitaries, as evidenced on their website and other publications.
    Selective Amnesia alert.
    Perhaps ask some of your more 'hardcore' Linfield fans?

Sammy loves playing for Northern ireland, and his family are very proud of him.
    Because he had no other choice at the time....

Those Northern Irish born players who have switched to the South of late, have exclusively been from a nationalist/republican background.

Perhaps we'll see the day when a great prospect, born in Northern Ireland, from a Unionist/Loyalist background declares for the FAI before ever representing the IFA - and then plays for the South through all ages, up to his senior international call up. At that point he'll realise what his "childhood dream" really was, and will switch to the IFA?
    Contradiction alert. What about the ones who were previously coerced into playing for the North?

And if a unionist does declare and switch back;it's their choice. As per 'the rules'.

Though if they read OWB and the like, they'd doubtless get a 'greeting' some way worse than any potentially afforded to Messrs.Duffy & co, so don't presume it would happen automatically.
    Especially if the paranoid postal users get involved....

I know one or two "decent nationalists" who gave up playing GAA to embrace the opportunity to play for my favourite club side. One of them scored the winner in last season's Irish Cup Final. And how we celebrated.
    That they'd given up GAA?? Shouldn't you all be supporting Aontroma....

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I presume you mean any Nationalist/Republican in their right mind, as opposed to "any Catholic"?
    In Northern Ireland it's the same thing. Lets not kid ourselves here. We live in a backwater where your political ideaoligy is confirmed the day you are born. The only Catholics I've ever seen really embracing their Norn Irishness is Rory McIlroy and Gerry Armstrong. Though even Rory doesn't come out for the football team.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky-O'Hare View Post
    In Northern Ireland it's the same thing. Lets not kid ourselves here. We live in a backwater where your political ideaoligy is confirmed the day you are born. The only Catholics I've ever seen really embracing their Norn Irishness is Rory McIlroy and Gerry Armstrong. Though even Rory doesn't come out for the football team.

Francis Campbell from Newry,the British Ambassador to the Vatican is proud of his British and Irish Identity

Frank Carson would also fit into that category.

I have many Catholic friends in Belfast who all have British passports and would identify as British as well as Irish.

22. Thanks From: