Results 5,521 to 5,540 of 7734

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Strictly, I said that they MAY not have met. Taking words out of others' mouths eh?
    I wouldn't say so. You said that many such players may not have met their grandparent. So unless you're now agreeing that it isn't at all likely and that you used the word may but didn't really mean it then I'm not sure what you're getting at.

You've no more idea than I do exactly how many of these family groups have actually met, and you've ignored my step-by-step logical explanation why they may not have.
    I must have missed that bit. The two main reasons that I can think of for someone not meeting their grandparent would be:
    - Grandparent died before the player was born
    - Some kind of family dispute/scandal/adoption

both of which would be very unfortunate for the individual concerned, but I don't think it applies to too many players at all.

Think of it this way. It's the odds of not meeting a grandparent multiplied by the odds that that grandparent was born in a different country to all of the other grandparents, the parents and the player. It's a very small number of players. I'm still waiting for the first example of such a player.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    More trolling crap by Gather round.
    Just ignore him lads.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    After all the faux outrage from Gerry Armstrong & the IFA U21 boss last week over Liam McAlinden opting to play for Ireland rather than the north, the same IFA U21 boss Stephen Robinson is directly quoted in a sunday paper today saying : "And i make no apology for saying if there any English born players in the Republic set-up, we will look at them. That is something we have to do. If an opportunity arises whereby we can benefit the other way round, then we would not be doing our jobs right to ignore it."

You couldn't make it up!

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by co. down green View Post
    After all the faux outrage from Gerry Armstrong & the IFA U21 boss last week over Liam McAlinden opting to play for Ireland rather than the north, the same IFA U21 boss Stephen Robinson is directly quoted in a sunday paper today saying : "And i make no apology for saying if there any English born players in the Republic set-up, we will look at them. That is something we have to do. If an opportunity arises whereby we can benefit the other way round, then we would not be doing our jobs right to ignore it."

You couldn't make it up!
    In their myopic, self-righteous and insular world your opinion would be deemed to be wrong!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts

You couldn't make it up!
    What? Does he mean English born with a link to the 6 or any English born with links to any of the 32? There was that BBC report recently that said,

They took advantage of a Fifa ruling that allows players from the island of Ireland to choose which national side they represent, provided they have not played for the other in a competitive senior international.
    before it was corrected, possibly following the complaint from BonnieShels. Maybe NI are having second thoughts on the FIFA proposed deal that they rejected, although I'm not even sure if that would have applied in this case. Things are getting desperate up there in IFA central.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    With the possible exception of NB, most of the North/IFA's 'supporters/apologists' have proved themselves singularly unable to grasp the implications of the GFA & CAS Ruling on selection criteria for their team.
    It may not be their demise as NB says, but they do appear ​to be a team in decline. Though probably not terminal.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    IFA U21 boss Stephen Robinson is directly quoted in a sunday paper today saying : "And i make no apology for saying if there any English born players in the Republic set-up, we will look at them. That is something we have to do. If an opportunity arises whereby we can benefit the other way round, then we would not be doing our jobs right to ignore it."
    Stephen might be a little confused - it would only be worth his while looking at English born players in the Republic set up who have a Northern Irish Parent or Grandparent.

That might limit his search somewhat.

I find such statements and measures to be demeaning to International football.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Heh. Good point, well made...

Hence, er, Alex Bruce...
    And his ilk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irwin3 View Post
    What? Does he mean English born with a link to the 6 or any English born with links to any of the 32?
    You just couldn't be sure how the IFA interpret the statutes...

It's an interesting comment in its explicit admission of their preparedness to "poach" players born outside of the north, but also players actually active in the set-up of another association. Not that I have any issue with that; it's all above board. It's the hypocrisy of it and the positioning of themselves on some (very suspect) moral high-ground in relation to FAI activities that I find rich.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    You just couldn't be sure how the IFA interpret the statutes...
    You'd have thought they'd have a copy of the CAS Ruling lying about Windsor Avenue somewhere - then again....

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    It's the hypocrisy of it and the positioning of themselves on some (very suspect) moral high-ground in relation to FAI activities that I find rich.
    Agreed. I have spent time on here arguing that taking players like Alex Bruce isn't the 'same thing' as they accuse the FAI of doing, but the quote above would suggest this (new?) approach is very much the same thing, and does leave them open to claims of hypocrisy.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Agreed. I have spent time on here arguing that taking players like Alex Bruce isn't the 'same thing' as they accuse the FAI of doing, but the quote above would suggest this (new?) approach is very much the same thing, and does leave them open to claims of hypocrisy.
    Not forgetting...desperation.

Very sad really.

You'll excuse me if I don't terribly excited about about the prospect of some English lad, who has chosen to play for the FAI, being begged to come play for Northern Ireland.

Nah...that doesn't get my International football juices flowing one bit!

PS: I see the ROI have a Fans team going over to Lviv in Ukraine next week for the Annual "Eurofans" tournament...any of you lads on here going over?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I don't think it is a new approach, to be honest. They've always seemed happy to work, like any other association, within the rules as they are, but then have a moan when the FAI specifically do the exact same thing. Didn't Armstrong contact Connor Wickham, for example?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    They have fallen so far off the deep end they've gone into orbit and will one day be visible with the naked eye.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    I don't think it is a new approach, to be honest. They've always seemed happy to work, like any other association, within the rules as they are, but then have a moan when the FAI specifically do the exact same thing. Didn't Armstrong contact Connor Wickham, for example?
    IFA U21 manager Stephen Robinson "I will continue to spend part of my week at academies in England & Scotland meeting players and managers. We will hopefully benefit from young English ansd Scottish players who aren't getting a look-in in their own set-up's. Michael O'Neill is heavily involved at that level too, and has been with me several times to speak to young lads and their families. And i make no apology for saying if there any English born players in the Republic set-up, we will look at them. That is something we have to do. If an opportunity arises whereby we can benefit the other way round, then we would not be doing our jobs right to ignore it."

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    They have fallen so far off the deep end they've gone into orbit and will one day be visible with the naked eye.
    ..before going supernova under the crushing weight of their own inconsequence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    “The one lad in the team who might end up playing for Ireland is the captain Cameron McGeehan. He has played for Northern Ireland but I think he might be interested in switching to us.”

See More: http://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/kyle-callan-mcfadden
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Another article in that paper gives another angle to the complex issue of Irishness and ancestry!

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/seco...-claims-leader

I think it's fair to say we won't be seeing his kids in green anytime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Those EDL lads sound like a great laugh...

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Another article in that paper gives another angle to the complex issue of Irishness and ancestry!

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/seco...-claims-leader

I think it's fair to say we won't be seeing his kids in green anytime.

From the same neck of the woods as one Kevin Patrick Foley. Funny how paths differ.

28. Thanks From: