Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 117 of 387 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127167217 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 7734

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    It remains to be seen what impact, if any, the appointment of Michael O'Neill as manager of the IFA's senior team will have on matters. I recall MNS did a feature on the eligibility issue during the Summer (I think it was around our fixture with NI in the Carling Nations Cup) and O'Neill gave his two cents on things. He didn't appear to be up-to-speed with the rules, but then he was with Rovers and wasn't the manager of an international team at the time. I remember he talked of limiting the number of times a player eligible for more than one association may change his allegiance throughout his career, seemingly failing to realise there already was a limit of one change in place, and also suggested the introduction of an age cap by which a player's allegiance ought to be decided if already capped by an original association. The problem with that is that FIFA scrapped the age cap from their statutes a few years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    The appointment of O'Neill is completely inconsequential with regard to the eligibility issue. The CAS judgment has dealt with this issue comprehensively and whatever personnel come in and out in the IFA will have absolutely no impact when it comes to changing the status quo.

As regards footballing matters, NI have got themselves a good manager, without a doubt but I feel the task he faces is similar to that with Rovers in the Europa group stages, the gulf in class is simple to vast to make a difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French Toasht View Post
    The appointment of O'Neill is completely inconsequential with regard to the eligibility issue. The CAS judgment has dealt with this issue comprehensively and whatever personnel come in and out in the IFA will have absolutely no impact when it comes to changing the status quo.
    That's true. I'd been more wondering how young undecided players from nationalist backgrounds might take to him as someone from a nationalist background who played for NI and managed a team in the League of Ireland. If even they're aware of his story. I'd heard the name before, but it wasn't until he took over at Shamrock Rovers that he really entered my conscience of thought.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    How did they take to Sammy McIlroy?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Is O'Neill the first NI manager with a nationalist background?
    Sounds to me, the IFA wanted to appoint someone like that, with some football credentials of course and he was their only candidate.
    He won't rock the IFA boat.
    It's an unusual situation for an association to have to think for ways to persuade players, who not that way inclined, to chose the IFA.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Sounds to me, the IFA wanted to appoint someone like that, with some football credentials of course and he was their only candidate.
    He won't rock the IFA boat.
    It's an unusual situation for an association to have to think for ways to persuade players, who not that way inclined, to chose the IFA.
    In fairness based on most recent managerial performance I would go for O'Neill myself.

Dowie started well a few years ago but it went downhill at a fair belt. Magilton was average at Ipswich and was again average at QPR. And there has'nt exactly been a stack of clubs after Dowie or Magilton which is a tad surprising because when you get on the managerial carousel the same people often keep re-appearing.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    His "nationalist background" will not have been a factor in the IFA's decision making process.

None of the candidates on the IFA's final shortlist of three are from a "unionist background", unless you bracket Dowie in that categoiry.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    His "nationalist background" will not have been a factor in the IFA's decision making process.

None of the candidates on the IFA's final shortlist of three are from a "unionist background", unless you bracket Dowie in that categoiry.
    I did not claim that any of the candidates were from a Unionist background, however, Dowie is not from a Nationalist background. And O'Neill is the first nationalist manager appointed as manager of NI.
    It's true that I can't read the minds of the IFA but I would not dismiss the 'nationalist background having an influence' theory out of hand.
    There are 2 issues, NI needs a capable manager and the fear that the trend of nationalists declaring for the FAI will continue. O'Neill has genuine credentials but nothing too spectacular that would stand him above Dowie and Magilton and none of those 3 come close to the experience of Kerr whose interest in the job was not even acknowledged. I would guess that O'Neill would have been third choice of the 3, by the OWC fans.
    Seeing as you can read the minds of the IFA, what was the factor in the IFA's decision making process that perceived Kerr as not even being worthy of a response?
    Last edited by geysir; 27/12/2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling - again

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Seeing as you can read the minds of the IFA, what was the factor in the IFA's decision making process that perceived Kerr as not even being worthy of a response?
    This, too, confused me. Those who were against Kerr, suggested that he "started the poaching".
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Well, Kerr had made welcome (from the IFA perspective) statements about how the eligibility situation, as it developed, had unfair affects on the IFA and was in favour of some restrictions being imposed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Well, Kerr had made welcome (from the IFA perspective) statements about how the eligibility situation, as it developed, had unfair affects on the IFA and was in favour of some restrictions being imposed.
    Indeed. Like Iain Dowie, he also has "blood connections" to OWC, so to exclude him on grounds of not being connected to Norlin Airlann, would be strange. I wonder does his being a Dub have anything to do with it? Or the fact that his Faroe Islands team frustrated the IFA's efforts during qualification and managed what Worthington could not in beating Estonia.

The IFA will hope that Michael O'Neill can replicate the success he achieved at Shamrock Rovers: bringing an Irish team to the group stages of a European tournament. Although Kerr's past successes with Irish teams seem to have been unduly overlooked.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Of course Michael O'N's background was an issue.
    As in potentially appeasing nationalist defectors.

But to be fair to the North, Fergie, Moanrinhio & Guardiola could all jointly be in charge and they'd still be sh*te.
    They just don't have the players, currently.

And be interesting to see if they ever will, again...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    You mean Kerr talked out of his arse like so many others.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Interesting photo of Liam Boyce with two Cliftonville players in the Felons Club, Belfast the other night (tweeted by himself): http://yfrog.com/od8x1vtj

Didn't go down too well on OWC.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Maybe Michael O'Neill will also pop in, along with 'Agent Gerry'?

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    what was the factor in the IFA's decision making process that perceived Kerr as not even being worthy of a response?
    I honestly don't know - he would have been my choice, for sure.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Good luck Michael O'Neill anyways. Any word on his number two?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    I honestly don't know - he would have been my choice, for sure.
    Isn't Kerr friendly with figures within the IFA? I know he shared the IFA's flight from the Faroe Islands after their game and I think I recall you having spoken of his attendance at functions or something of the sort run/organised by the IFA.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    A beggar getting a lift with the IFA, with the barely concealed satisfied grin of a job well done.
    Maybe the IFA have a different recollection of their time, sharing the ride home with Brian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael O'Neill
    That is my primary objective – to restore a sense of belief and pride in what it means to represent Northern Ireland so that our players will want only to play for their country. That is how it should be.

http://www.irishfa.com/news/item/698...ional-manager/
    Off to a good start.

25. Thanks From: