Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 95 of 387 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 7734

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Gerry Armstrong warns Derry footballers about Republic switch': http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15656709

The 1998 Good Friday Agreement ruled that anyone from Northern Ireland can designate themselves to be British or Irish and FIFA have recognised this by letting players decide to pursue an international career with the Republic.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Jaysus. When will it end?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    It's all about the nuances. Maybe I underestimated Jobby, he's always got his (good) eye on the ball.
    How about -

It's all about the nuances maybe. I underestimated Jobby, he's always got his (good) eye on the ball

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    No, I don't think a lot us did, just expected such bitterness from a delusional individual.
    Say, what?
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Good to see that Northern Ireland youth players are taking Gerry Armstrong seriously :

shaymccartan shay mccartan
    Really hope ireland win tonight,can't believe its been nearly ten years since the world cup in japan #gettingold

CBrennan44 Conor Brennan
    Estoina down to 10' brilliant opportunity to get a few goals for Ireland! #qualification

rmckeown23 Rory McKeown
    Can't believe that Estonia team beat N.Ireland 4-1 haha. Cmon the boys #trapsarmy

RyanMcL2 Ryan McLaughlin
    What a great night, the Irish are taking over Poland cmonnnnnnn

lee_toland Lee-ryan Toland
    Ireland for the euros #sohappy ☺☺☺
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    How about -

It's all about the nuances maybe. I underestimated Jobby, he's always got his (good) eye on the ball
    You're like a cat with a ball of yarn, toying! I did underestimate Jobby. There I said it!
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Those guys on Twitter are predictably getting a fair amount of abuse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    Those guys on Twitter are predictably getting a fair amount of abuse.
    Rory has a solution:

rmckeown23 Rory McKeown
    @Liambo9 mo chara! We'll speak in irish and they can't abuse haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Good to see that Northern Ireland youth players are taking Gerry Armstrong seriously :

Really hope ireland win tonight,can't believe its been nearly ten years since the world cup in japan #gettingold

CBrennan44 Conor Brennan
    Estoina down to 10' brilliant opportunity to get a few goals for Ireland! #qualification

rmckeown23 Rory McKeown
    Can't believe that Estonia team beat N.Ireland 4-1 haha. Cmon the boys #trapsarmy

RyanMcL2 Ryan McLaughlin

Come on lads..you know you want to...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    It must be a bit of a blow to hear that the players you support don't even support the team they play for. Sure, they give 100% on the pitch, but they're more passionate about watching their real international team.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    It must be a bit of a blow to hear that the players you support don't even support the team they play for. Sure, they give 100% on the pitch, but they're more passionate about watching their real international team.
    The day will happen when a NI player refuses to play in a match/meet up with a squad because he'd rather watch the Republic on telly.

Mark my words

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    some interesting future talent there in fairness. Mcloughlin is supposed to be a very good attacking right full for liverpool and Conlon highly thought of striker at celtic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    It's very silly of OWCers to seize upon this obvious reality and chastise their own players.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts

CBrennan44 Conor Brennan

rmckeown23 Rory McKeown

RyanMcL2 Ryan McLaughlin

Haha Gerry has his work cut out for him. A few alleged whispers in the ear from someone in the FAI would be one of the last things needed to urge those young lads to play for the South. Also, qualifying for the Euro's could see a spike in Northern players switching allegiance.

Is that the same Shay McCartan that I saw playing for Down minors before? I'd say there's a fairly comprehensive list of present or past professional footballers who have played for their county minor team in the Ulster Championship; McCartan, Lennon, O'Neill, Ferguson, McGinn...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Brilliant post about the tweets. Sums up the scenario fairly well.

Is that the same Shay McCartan that I saw playing for Down minors this year or last? I'd say you could draw up a fairly good list of Northern professional soccer players who represented their county in GAA too; O'Neill, Lennon, Ferguson, McCartan, McGinn...Armstrong himself?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The players dealt with it very well from what I saw. Seem like a level-headed bunch.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

CBrennan44 Conor Brennan

rmckeown23 Rory McKeown

RyanMcL2 Ryan McLaughlin

It's this kind of crap that continues to alienate Catholics in NI. It angers me at this Unionists type attitude to those who decide to play for us, as being in some way treacherous in their decisions. This antiquated attitude is something even the English themselves don't possess. Hopefully, many of those who are mentioned above will play for a country which judges them on their abilities, not their background.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-n...n-2933227.html
    Last edited by gastric; 13/11/2011 at 1:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Hopefully, many of those who are mentioned above will play for a country which judges them on their abilities, not their background
    They already have.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Like who??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Gerry Armstrong: 1972 withdrawal has caused player problem': http://www.derryjournal.com/sport/fo...blem_1_3237650

GERRY Armstrong believes Derry City’s withdrawal from the Irish League in 1972 has had a long-standing and detrimental affect on the association’s image within the North-West region
    Whilst the club's membership of the League of Ireland may aid its players' access to the FAI and vice versa, I don't think it would be correct at all to attribute the declarations of northern-born players for the FAI to Derry's withdrawal from the Irish League in 1972. To do so is to completely misunderstand the crux of the issue, again. Derry's withdrawal from the Irish League was a symptom of a beast similar and very much related to that which has caused and prolonged the eligibility dispute. Anyway, plenty of non-Derry players have also opted to play for the FAI. How does this theory account for those lads?

Likewise, I don't think the image problem is limited exclusively to the north-west; the NI team is viewed either in a negative light or as largely irrelevant within broad nationalism.

With the increasing regularity of Derry-born footballers opting to switch national allegiances in favour of the Republic of Ireland, the impact on the N. Ireland international squad has been significant.
    Increasing regularity? Has the impact even been significant? How does one gauge in the absence of impact? Sounds like filler to me, or nonsense; whichever...

However, in his new role as ‘Elite Player Mentor’ for the IFA, the former Real Mallorca and Tottenham Hotspurs striker, insists he can help repair the damage as the powers that be at Windsor Avenue intensify their campaign to win over the hearts and minds of young players from Derry.

"And the set-up in the grassroots level here has been very good but we know that there is a gap when they get to between 12, 13 and 14 years of age until they get to 18 or 19 years, and we need to fill that void."
    See folks, it's not just the FAI who'll fiddle with your kids.

“That’s the problem - the fact Derry City players and supporters look to the south and are more familiar with the League of Ireland. We can’t change the fact Derry City play in the League of Ireland, that’s something that was done when the police made a recommendation 30 or 40 years ago.
    I think Gerry could also touch up on his history after he has had a read of the Kearns judgment and articles 5 to 8 of FIFA's Regulations Governing the Application of the Statutes.

Outlining the potential pitfalls facing young N. Ireland-born players who have opted to play for the Republic, Armstrong hoped that his advice would help alter the opinions of young footballers facing that particular dilemma.

“I just want to point out that it’s not always the right decision because some of them have actually made the change and regretted it and had been able to reverse the decision to come back to play for N. Ireland.

“A lot of these lads in the past few years have decided to go and play for the Republic U17 or U18s, have then changed their mind, didn’t feel they were apart of it and then we welcomed them back again.
    Who's Armstrong referring to here exactly? Michael O'Connor and Tony Kane are the only two of whom I'm aware that switched back to the IFA. And has he actually outlined these supposed "pitfalls"? What are they? A healthy challenge for places, I gather? Sure why not just tell the poor craiturs straight out they're ****?

“But because of the Good Friday Agreement that’s not always going to be able to happen in the future and I have to concentrate on anyone who wants to play for us.
    Blah, blah...

“This is not a charm offensive,” he insisted.
    Awk now Gerry, who on earth would ever have thought such a thing? I mean, really...

25. Thanks From: