Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 22 of 387 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    On that piece SVD posted, it's disappointing to see the trusty old BBC are also making errors of fact I thought only fit for the Belfast Telegraph.

As regards the letter itself from the AoNISC, I can't see where it'll go at all considering FIFA aren't seriously going to give a supporters club greater consideration than one of their own member associations, the IFA, who have been pleading with them to no avail to change their position for quite some time. Filling the open letter with factual errors obviously won't have assisted the cause either.

Quote Originally Posted by French Toasht View Post
    "We believe this situation to be unique in world football, whereby one national association may select two jurisdictions worth of players," he said.

I could be wrong but is there not an analogous situation in Croatia, where they are free to select Bosnian Croats?
    Not sure what the situation is with Bosnian Croats - you could easily be right - but that claim from the letter isn't even technically correct. The FAI can't really select two jurisdictions-worth of players; they can select only those players who are nationals of the country the association represents, just the same as applies to every other association around the world. The rules are universal. The FAI can't call up northern-born players who don't acknowledge or effect their birthright to Irish nationality.

Quote Originally Posted by AoNISC
    For more than 50 years, the agreed and established practice of the two national football associations was always to select only those players with a territorial connection to either jurisdiction.
    Assume this is alluding to the supposed "gentleman's agreement" for which CAS could find no evidence. If one had existed, you'd expect the IFA to be able to offer proof of it. There is only evidence for FIFA issuing a dictat effective upon the IFA in order to prevent them from selecting players born south of the border. No corresponding dictat was ever issued to the FAI. Regardless, rules supercede "agreed and established practice" every time.

It seems therefore that the FAI is using the Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement as an excuse for breaking this longstanding policy.
    Not sure why it would seem that way considering northern-born players were playing for us years before the GFA.

This FAI policy is driving a sectarian wedge between the two communities in Northern Ireland in regard to football.
    There is no active "policy", but attempting to deny an Irishman the right to express his identity and play for his country drives a wedge just as deep as the one alleged.

We are hugely proud to support a team that includes members of both traditions in Northern Ireland, and want to continue to do so.
    It will continue to do so.

We want an end to Football Apartheid in Ireland.
    Indeed; come join us as one.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    There is a somewhat analogous case in Germany with Miroslav Klose and Lukas Podolski. Both were born in what was then, and remains, the state of Poland but both are entitled to German citizenship by birth due to the way the borders were divided after the wars. I don't think that entitlement is granted anymore, though, which is where the parallels end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Presumably that only applies to those born after 1983? Because it didn't always before that date....
    Not sure what you're referring to exactly. Presumably what only applies? Prior to a few years ago - I'm sure NB can provide the exact year - it was my understanding that if a player wished to play for the IFA, they expected him to possess a British passport. It's possible that FIFA also expected the same of such players; likely actually, as I seem to recall someone at the IFA having to lobby FIFA for a change in order to allow players with only Irish passports, but otherwise eligible, to play for NI. Neither have this expectation as a rule any longer. I don't know whether FIFA have abolished their stipulation universally or if it's just a case of making a special allowance for the IFA, where their players need not prove eligibility via a British passport but by birth certificate.
    Last edited by DannyInvincible; 24/05/2011 at 3:21 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    In the star today , they mention that young Conor Delvin on Man utd (GK) is the next to switch from the North ... I can see this thing im getting a lot worse for the North.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Prior to a few years ago - I'm sure NB can provide the exact year - it was my understanding that if a player wished to play for the IFA, they expected him to possess a British passport. It's possible that FIFA also expected the same of such players; likely actually, as I seem to recall someone at the IFA having to lobby FIFA for a change in order to allow players with only Irish passports, but otherwise eligible, to play for NI. Neither have this expectation as a rule any longer.
    May 2006.

FIFA decreed that the players representing the IFA would have to possess a British Passport to confirm eligibility - the IFA approached FIFA, and had this requirement scrapped.

Prior to the FIFA diktat, the IFA had never objected to players holding an Irish Passport playing for Northern Ireland.

FIFA advised that he mere fact that a person may be holding an Irish passport did not provide conclusive evidence for a match commissioner to know that a player is entitled to represent Northern Ireland.

Less than 1 month later, the matter was resolved, and FIFA accepted that Northern Ireland players could hold either passport and travel on these as long as the IFA certifies the eligibility of the players involved.

From personal experience, I know that Northern Ireland players were travelling on Irish passports before May 2006 - I travelled to the West Indies with Northern Ireland in 2004, and some players were travelling on Irish Passports.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    I travelled to the West Indies with Northern Ireland in 2004, and some players were travelling on Irish Passports.
    Aye, but how many caps did you get?

So is this what you might call a "special dispensation" for the IFA or did FIFA scrap the passport stipulation universally, do you know?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't see why there'd be a problem traveling on an Irish passport. FIFA only need it to confirm you are who you say you are - eligibility is all sorted out before that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    So is this what you might call a "special dispensation" for the IFA or did FIFA scrap the passport stipulation universally, do you know?
    I don't honestly know DI, but I suspect it was "an Irish thing", so to speak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    I don't honestly know DI, but I suspect it was "an Irish thing", so to speak.
    Nay an Irish solution to an Irish problem?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Comments made on BBC NI coverage after the Ireland v Northern Ireland Nations' Cup game by Jim Magilton:

Stephen Watson: Giovanni Trappatoni told me tonight that FIFA must sort out this eligibility rule and this, eh, so-called poaching of players. Wha... what's your take as a former Northern Ireland captain of what the Republic of Ireland are doing at the moment?

Jim Magilton: I agree. You know... eh... I think that they... eh.. FIFA should... it's simple. Ja know for me if you know at the end of the day if... Why, why haven't they really stepped in and said, suggested that anyone played in the North you play for the North and anyone pla... born in the South you play in the South. At the end of the day, maybe you have to ask the players, who have actually gone and played for the Republic why they have chosen the Republic ahead of Northern Ireland. Maybe it's time that they answered a few questions, maybe it's time that you know, someone sat them down and said right listen, wha... why.. whats'... why... what are the reasons behind, you know, you want to go and play for the Republic? And and maybe getting the answers then. Then maybe if you get them sort of answers then you can come out and deal with it. But at the minute FIFA are hiding behind and I think FIFA should be you know, should come out and be a lot more stronger about it.
    Now after transcribing all of that I have learned a few things:
    1. I never want to hear Jim Magilton's voice again.
    2. I will never make it as a stenographer.
    3. Listening to it so often has made it lose it's meaning as he really didn't say an awful lot in the end.
    4. The ignorance re eligibility is only being highlighted by the IFA and their allies and the FAI really need to start underlining this fact and start standing up for the Irishmen and I'm sure women that have decided that their allegiance lies with their national team.
    5. Trap didn't say at all what Stephen Watson alluded to. I will now transcribe that...

PS. Adam I'm sorry I don't have a link. I did what I could.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 25/05/2011 at 12:18 AM.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Comments made on BBC NI coverage after the Ireland v Northern Ireland Nations' Cup game by Giovanni Trapattoni:

Stephen Watson: One of the big talking points... controversial talking points in the build up to this game has been the perceived poaching of Northern Ireland's players by the Republic of Ireland, as the headcoach wha... what are your thoughts on that subject?

Giovanni Trapattoni: That is no... that is no... that is no... our problem because I understand also our... our colleague... aya our... the other players, but the reason is we let them (de)cide. Dera dera dem... UEFA... de de de the rules I think is better if federation, the FIFA can clarify these rules, after we can no ask the player. The play... the family, the players decide if they want play with Ireland or the other country. For us its not a big problem.
    Found it very funny how they didn't ask Worthy what his thoughts were.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Found it very funny how they didn't ask Worthy what his thoughts were.
    Earlier in the day he was still banging on about players strictly representing the countries they were born in. I guess that's the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot but having nerve damage in said foot so the injury goes unnoticed.

His address reached an epic climax with the totally pro-freedom declaration that the gate needs to be 'firmly shut' on players who want to switch associations. Honestly, the only thing lacking was the College Green and 60,000 spectators his speech truly deserved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    Earlier in the day he was still banging on about players strictly representing the countries they were born in. I guess that's the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot but having nerve damage in said foot so the injury goes unnoticed.

His address reached an epic climax with the totally pro-freedom declaration that the gate needs to be 'firmly shut' on players who want to switch associations. Honestly, the only thing lacking was the College Green and 60,000 spectators his speech truly deserved.
    I figured that was why however I also thought that maybe they did ask him and they decided to edit it out as it sounded awfully like the crap he's been spouting for the last few days.

Oddly, what Trap said makes more sense than what Magilton said.

I also reckon that maybe outside the Guild Hall in Derry might be the most appropriate venue for Nigel's presidential-style address.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Listen to Niall McGinn at 1.18. Almost brings a tear to my eye :
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Listen to Niall McGinn at 1.18. Almost brings a tear to my eye :
    "Obviously I'm a Republic of Ireland fan so obviously it was good to play against them"

Even the players who stick with them have Ireland's interests at heart. OK, I think I've officially reached the point where I start feeling sorry for them. It was a long road but here I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho
    Earlier in the day he was still banging on about players strictly representing the countries they were born in.
    As long as they were born in Northern Ireland of course. It's not our fault he doesn't like the rules, so he can live with it or quit.

He lost 5-0 to a nation's reserve team. That is the main issue he should be focusing on.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Not very honest by Niall McGinn when he says the only positive he can take from the game is that he got Robbie Keane's shirt.

What about the result Niall? We won!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    The main story on last night's UTV Live News programme was about the boycott.

We had close to 10 minutes on that, and the eligibility issue.

According to the UTV Reporter, the IFA have tried several times to have the FIFA rules CHANGED.

Either this is just **** poor reporting, or it's a blatant lie.

The IFA fought with FIFA to have their rules UPHELD.

The IFA got what they wanted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    wasn't that Caleb Folan wandering by while Niall McGinn was gushing about playing against his heroes? thought he'd dropped out.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    That was Darren Randolph.