Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 387 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    We could ignore it, or we could laugh it out of the room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    We could ignore it, or we could laugh it out of the room.
    Very true, laughing it out of the room sounds like more fun

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Interesting to read the thoughts of 'AugherStar' over on OWC. Hard to know whether those who expound these views are serious or not.
    "Can you not see the irony in all this ,re the funeral of Ronan Kerr and the RoI policy of dividing our population?This country is struggling to put our former divisions to bed and your bunch of parasites are stoking up ill feeling over somthing as irrelevant (in the grand scheme of things) as football.Constable Kerr and his colleagues are able to satisfy their "irishness" whilst working within NI ,for the UK government,yet little sectarian toe rags are allowed to declare for the Republic ,"coz that's who caffilicks play for ".All the while being cajoled and influenced by scum like Delayney and Brady .
    Sure who cares if we get a peaceful,mature society (which may ultimately lead to some sort of "United Ireland")as long as the Republic pick up an odd extra, decent player to mix in with the rest of the English and Scots that they have gathered up to make themselves think they are an important footballing nation."
    The FAI are not just scheming sectarian childcatchers, but they're also to blame for bombs and conflict. It would be a task to make this up, I'm sure.
    they really are so thick over there.what i can't get my head around is people like gr eg nb who associate with these sorts by posting on that forum. and then we all wonder when we see them in landsdowne singing racist vile drivel.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Interesting to read the thoughts of 'AugherStar' over on OWC. Hard to know whether those who expound these views are serious or not.
    "Can you not see the irony in all this ,re the funeral of Ronan Kerr and the RoI policy of dividing our population?This country is struggling to put our former divisions to bed and your bunch of parasites are stoking up ill feeling over somthing as irrelevant (in the grand scheme of things) as football.Constable Kerr and his colleagues are able to satisfy their "irishness" whilst working within NI ,for the UK government,yet little sectarian toe rags are allowed to declare for the Republic ,"coz that's who caffilicks play for ".All the while being cajoled and influenced by scum like Delayney and Brady .
    Sure who cares if we get a peaceful,mature society (which may ultimately lead to some sort of "United Ireland")as long as the Republic pick up an odd extra, decent player to mix in with the rest of the English and Scots that they have gathered up to make themselves think they are an important footballing nation."
    The FAI are not just scheming sectarian childcatchers, but they're also to blame for bombs and conflict. It would be a task to make this up, I'm sure.
    Sweet Jesus. That's actually beyond belief.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    To be fair, it is a bit ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Has the FAI 'making Northern Ireland a Protestant Team' thread, been renamed the FAI 'Cementing Partition' thread yet?
    Last edited by The Fly; 09/04/2011 at 6:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by co. down green View Post
    Very true, laughing it out of the room sounds like more fun
    Indeed. If ignored, there is a possibility that these irrational views may influence other, more gullible, fans, stirring them up into a rabble. It's the kind of thing that could potentially create problems in May.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    they really are so thick over there.what i can't get my head around is people like gr eg nb who associate with these sorts by posting on that forum. and then we all wonder when we see them in landsdowne singing racist vile drivel.
    To be fair to GR, he has disputed such views. I'm not sure if I can say the same for EG though, who has still not withdrawn his ridiculous comments about some of our players.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Has the FAI 'making Northern Ireland a Protestant Team' thread, been renamed the FAI 'Cementing Partition' thread yet?
    I shouldn't know, because I'm banned...
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Thats not really the point I'm making, for example when I lived in Dublin I avoided certain pubs where I knew there was a few eejits for Old Firm games for example, I don't really want to associate with that, not snobbery but I just dont like it.

Now, thats why I cant understand why one would partake in such a forum by posting, if thats the kind of members they have. And its not the first user to write that type of crap, actually I dont remember seeing that fellas name posted on here before....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    As in life, there will be a few clowns and imbeciles on every forum. I do not think individual posters should necessarily be defined by the idiotic ramblings of certain other posters. However, I think that such idiotic ramblings should be challenged and exposed as being ridiculous, but they rarely are, which takes credibility away from the forum. It is an interesting insight.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Are you banned from the OWC site as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Are you banned from the OWC site as well?
    No, I just decided to refrain from posting for a short while to allow tensions to ease; particularly between myself and one of the moderators. That short while then became a longer while, during which my subcription lapsed. It's only recently that I have begun to revisit the site.

After the resolution of the player eligibility case with the CAS, there was an understandable deflation, and increased sensitivity, amongst many of the OWC members. IIRC, it was during this time that Predator received a ban, and I received the tribute of my very own thread, entitled "The Fly Educates Da North". This honour was bestowed upon me by 'fhtb'; the moderator in question, and was quickly followed by a warning which ran as follows:

"trolling - and finally admits he doesn't support NI. No reason to humour him any longer then. If he starts gurning I support kicking him out completely - give back what's left of his sub if needs be."

The part emboldened above suggested to me that perhaps the 'lunatics had taken over the asylum', and it was best to withdraw.

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Yet here, you seem such a mild inoffensive chap and a such a willing student.

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    As in life, there will be a few clowns and imbeciles on every forum. I do not think individual posters should necessarily be defined by the idiotic ramblings of certain other posters. However, I think that such idiotic ramblings should be challenged and exposed as being ridiculous, but they rarely are, which takes credibility away from the forum. It is an interesting insight.
    Yes thats true, but from what Ive seen of it before, it doesn't get challenged. These kinda people you just cant educate there is no point telling them, so why bother trying? And if you're not trying then why would you bother even associating/speaking with them - unless you aren't actually trying to educate them?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by co. down green View Post
    augherstar must have missed the announcement of the north's u19 squad yesterday, especially their midfield

Midfielders
    David Morgan – Born ni
    Matthew Ball – Born Chelmsford
    Ryan Brobbel – Born Middlesbrough
    James Knowles – Born ni
    Jack Warburton – Born London
    Ben McKenna – Born Carlisle

As for the rest of it, a sectarian rant - best ignored.
    Ryan Brobbel, formerly of our U17's! Those player stealing Dastards!!!!
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...r-17&Itemid=17
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Don't mind them picking eg. English-born players, if they're eligible.
    It's just the Hypocrisy (and related paranoia) I can't stand.....

Certainly they compare favourably with 'Augher Star'. But that's not saying much.
    Someone needs to tell AS & their kind, the activities of the FAI/IFA are not related to those of dissident republicans. Or the more low-level, but more frequent, activity of their loyalist, erm, 'equivalents'.

It's even more fanciful of some of their bizarre nonsense on politics.ie .....

No, I just decided to refrain from posting for a short while to allow tensions to ease; particularly between myself and one of the moderators. That short while then became a longer while, during which my subcription lapsed. It's only recently that I have begun to revisit the site.

After the resolution of the player eligibility case with the CAS, there was an understandable deflation, and increased sensitivity, amongst many of the OWC members. IIRC, it was during this time that Predator received a ban, and I received the tribute of my very own thread, entitled "The Fly Educates Da North". This honour was bestowed upon me by 'fhtb'; the moderator in question, and was quickly followed by a warning which ran as follows:

"trolling - and finally admits he doesn't support NI. No reason to humour him any longer then. If he starts gurning I support kicking him out completely - give back what's left of his sub if needs be."

The part emboldened above suggested to me that perhaps the 'lunatics had taken over the asylum', and it was best to withdraw.
    Somewhat ironic they have barred you & Predator;so much for a willingness to debate?? Is Danny I on there I wonder, or CDG ??
    Unsurprisingly I was banned, but hear all the important gossip via GR!

Even more ironic though, is that it was our old 'friend' from here, 'fhtb' (I would suggest an alternative meaning to his handle but won't repeat here!), acting as 'moderator', FFS.

More that of the fire-and-brimstone type from the more extreme versions of the Church of Scotland, perchance?? Than any degree of objectivity.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Excellent turn of phrase!

Yes thats true, but from what Ive seen of it before, it doesn't get challenged. These kinda people you just cant educate there is no point telling them, so why bother trying? And if you're not trying then why would you bother even associating/speaking with them - unless you aren't actually trying to educate them?
    I don't invest much faith in the education of those who currently expound these type of views. Most of them are stubborn and irreconcilable.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    Ryan Brobbel, formerly of our U17's! Those player stealing Dastards!!!!
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...r-17&Itemid=17
    This is a definite case of poaching. They've obviously made an underhanded approach for this player, offering him incentives to 'jump ship' to 'The Dark Side'. CAS, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Somewhat ironic they have barred you & Predator;so much for a willingness to debate?? Is Danny I on there I wonder, or CDG ??
    Danny wasn't banned outright, but received a suspension lasting eight years or so when he challenged a certain poster's sneaky, but ultimately flimsy and ludicrous argument that, in choosing northern borns, the FAI was infringing on their identity...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    An 8 yr. suspension??
    What is wrong with them??

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I would be surprised if you lasted longer than Paul Butler did

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Ah yes, as Predator confirms, I suffered the ignominy of being banned for eight years without notice or warning in March of last year. I had to e-mail a moderator myself for answers but my enquiries didn't really bear much fruit other than an eventual strange and blunt accusation from a moderator, who would clearly rather have been swatting a fly, that I was also in the possession of a second and more abusive original account. Possessing two accounts at once is against forum rules, as is being abusive, naturally. However, the problem was that this other mystery account was total news to me. I first posted on OWC in 2007 when the Darron Gibson "tug-of-war" was at the top of the agenda but the account was only suspended in 2010 when I returned with a better understanding of the eligibility issue in general to offer a clearly unpopular argument against the user who'd set up the bizarre, twisted and disingenuous Facebook campaign, "Protect Northern Ireland players' identity rights". If I had been accessing the site under some other alias then I ought to have been banned when I first set up the supposed second account in 2007, surely? It just didn't add up.

Anyway, just under seven more years to wait now before I can rejoin the lively and probing debate again...

NIIRC, it was during this time that Predator received a ban, and I received the tribute of my very own thread, entitled "The Fly Educates Da North". This honour was bestowed upon me by 'fhtb'; the moderator in question, and was quickly followed by a warning which ran as follows:

Indeed, the site defines itself in the header at the top of the forum as "a Northern Ireland fans' website" but I'm sure the mods don't boot off supporters of upcoming opposition and the like. Really, it's just a convenient brush to tar posters with whom the mods disagree.

Anyway, I came across this copied from the FAI website and posted on a "certain other forum" - there are ways - a while ago: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...fai&Itemid=139

FAI History Chapter 6 – FIFA rules on Irish issue

The decade of the 1950s marked the resolution of the thorny issue of dual qualification of players born on the island of Ireland and also the intervention of FIFA to apply an official designation to the two associations governing football on the island.

The Irish Football Association in Belfast continued to select players from the south for their international teams in the years after the War, a policy that was not shared by the football authorities in Dublin with just one exception.

The Football Association in Dublin selected four Northern Ireland players in a squad that travelled to play Portugal and Spain in the Summer of 1946 in Ireland's first two international matches after the War.

The reasons why they departed from their stated policy of confining selection to those players born in the Republic have never been satisfactorily explained but the licence to look beyond the political boundary separating the North from the Republic for team selections was revoked in 1950.
    What does that mean exactly? It's all rather vague. Is it alluding to some sort of "gentlemen's agreement", of which CAS dismissed notions in the recent Kearns judgment? Not that I'm saying such a "policy", if it did exist then, would be in any way relevant to how the rules are read today or anything, but it's something I hadn't encountered before.
    Last edited by DannyInvincible; 10/04/2011 at 12:55 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I first posted on OWC in 2007 when the Darron Gibson "tug-of-war" was at the top of the agenda but the account was only suspended in 2010 when I returned with a better understanding of the eligibility issue in general to offer a clearly unpopular argument against the user who'd set up the bizarre, twisted and disingenuous Facebook campaign, "Protect Northern Ireland players' identity rights".
    That is tragic. Don't any of these people have wives or girlfriends?

Page 7 of 387 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast