Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 7722

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    So, in summary, these lads' childhood dream is to represent Northern Ireland, but once they reach a certain age (not "early teens"), they decide the IFA are unwelcoming, and switch?

By "politics", do you mean the player's politics ie. they realise that their politics is that of an Irish Nationalist/Republican ie. not in keeping with representing a British Association, and a territory that forms a part of the United Kingdom?
    Yes reality bites!

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Yes reality bites!
    Doesn't it just.

So really, Duffy, Gibson, Wilson, Kearns, McClean etc would, in an ideal world, prefer to play for Northern Ireland, but....
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    They realised the reality of the world they live in and where their real affinities lie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    They realised the reality of the world they live in and where their real affinities lie.
    So, it dawned on them that they were Irish Nationalists/Republicans, and their affinities lay with the South, only after they had represented Northern Ireland at various levels, including being in the squad for a senior internationals (in the case of Duffy and McClean)?

In essence, it was THEIR "politics" that ultimately determined their path?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Does he have a Northern Irish born parent or grandparent?
    He qualified for us through his Waterford connections on his mothers side as far as I know. Maybe he qualifies on his dad's side.

There's a Callum Morris who plays (played) for Wigan - maybe they're confusing the two?
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    He qualified for us through his Waterford connections on his mothers side as far as I know. Maybe he qualifies on his dad's side.

There's a Callum Morris who plays (played) for Wigan - maybe they're confusing the two?
    Possibly.

Both English born lads, I think?

Unless the lad that has played for the FAI has a Northern Irish parent or grandparent, he's not eligible for us.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    So, it dawned on them that they were Irish Nationalists/Republicans, and their affinities lay with the South, only after they had represented Northern Ireland at various levels, including being in the squad for a senior internationals (in the case of Duffy and McClean)?

In essence, it was THEIR "politics" that ultimately determined their path?
    As opposed to the 'politics' of unionists which makes their affinities lie with the North...
    So what??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    As opposed to the 'politics' of unionists which makes their affinities lie with the North...
    So what??
    gastric stated:

"Young lads in NI start off wanting to represent their province, then in their early teens realise that due to sectaranism and politics, they really would be more comfortable representing a team which is far more welcoming"

He intimates that those who have switched, really would prefer to play for Northern Ireland - this insinuates that the South is really their second choice, in an ideal world.

Of course, it is completely understandable that Unionists would want to play for/support Northern Ireland, given that if there was no Union, there would be no Northern Ireland.

Similarly, it is completely understandable that an Irish Nationalist/Republican might not want to play for Northern Ireland, given that they seek a day when there is no Northern Ireland.

gastric goes against this logic - he believes that an Irish Nationalists/Republican player's first preference would be to play for Northern Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Not Brazil, your idea that anyone who has not dreamt of playing for the IFA should not wear the shirt isn't that unreasonable I suppose, but why not as a supporter give these boys a chance? You just never know, they might eventually, like Robbie Keane, remember that it was their dream.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Not Brazil, your idea that anyone who has not dreamt of playing for the IFA should not wear the shirt isn't that unreasonable I suppose, but why not as a supporter give these boys a chance?
    Because it's denying other boys a chance, whose ambition is to play senior international football for Northern Ireland, not the South.

Give me a player of limited ability, but with a burning desire to succeed for Northern Ireland right up the line, over a more talented player who will go so far with Northern Ireland and then switch any day of the week.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Actually NB, I don't think he's saying that at all.

But fair play to you for managing to put yer own pro-North 'spin' on it.

Still bemused by your 'South' Korean analogy though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    in the star today its mentions Callum Morris (ex newcastle defender) as gone to the north. he didnt get a contract with Blyth spartans and is now with Glenn Hoddle ...big loss there lol
    If this is true, it yet again shows the utter hypocrisy of the IFA regarding the eligibility issue.

Ireland U21 international Morris was at the Oval last Wednesday for the IFA U21 game v Faroes.

Last week the IFA, unionist sports journalists and supporters lambasted James McClean for his decision to turn down a call-up to the IFA senior team and expressing a desire to represent Ireland, yet at the same time the IFA management team were actively targeting Irish U21 International Callum Morris?

We had Healy, Hughes etc.. on television stating that players should not play underage football for the wee 6 if they were going to declare for Ireland at a latter stage, yet they made no mention of 25 year old Ireland international Alex Bruce being approached by Worthington, or the targeting of 25 year old England goalkeeper Lee Camp, or the 'acquisition' of England u17 international Oliver Norwood or Canadian u17 international Caolan Lavery or Ireland international Johnny Gorman etc...

You couldn't make it up!

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Actually NB, I don't think he's saying that at all.

But fair play to you for managing to put yer own pro-North 'spin' on it.
    What he (gastric) said was very clear:

"Young lads in NI start off wanting to represent their province, then in their early teens realise that due to sectaranism and politics, they really would be more comfortable representing a team which is far more welcoming"

When I asked:

"So, in summary, these lads' childhood dream is to represent Northern Ireland, but once they reach a certain age (not "early teens"), they decide the IFA are unwelcoming, and switch?

By "politics", do you mean the player's politics ie. they realise that their politics is that of an Irish Nationalist/Republican ie. not in keeping with representing a British Association, and a territory that forms a part of the United Kingdom?"

His response was:

"Yes reality bites!"

Not much ambiguity there, mo chara.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by co. down green View Post
    If this is true, it yet again shows the utter hypocrisy of the IFA regarding the eligibility issue.

Ireland U21 international Morris was at the Oval last Wednesday for the IFA U21 game v Faroes.

Last week the IFA, unionist sports journalists and supporters lambasted James McClean for his decision to turn down a call-up to the IFA senior team and expressing a desire to represent Ireland, yet at the same time the IFA management team were actively targeting Irish U21 International Callum Morris?
    Do you know is this kid Morris didn't make the approach to the IFA about switching?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Because it's denying other boys a chance, whose ambition is to play senior international football for Northern Ireland, not the South.

Give me a player of limited ability, but with a burning desire to succeed for Northern Ireland right up the line, over a more talented player who will go so far with Northern Ireland and then switch any day of the week.
    You only have players of limited ability and many of them are wanting to play for Ireland. You can continue to put a spin on what seems a peverse logic, but facts are facts, your present system/ set up alienates many players and the obvious reasons remain sectaranism and the associated politics. Also, the hypocrisy that exists - 'don't take our players, but it's okay if we take Alex Bruce' indicates a sense of desperation.

I can continue to defend my opinions and I find the pedantic arguments you put forward, at the best timid and lacking depth. To be fair to you Brazil, at least you don't become stereotypical like GA, who thinks throwing Aussie barbs at an Irishman is going to hurt his feelings and then goes offline!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Do you know is this kid Morris didn't make the approach to the IFA about switching?
    How much of a difference does it make to you?
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    . To be fair to you Brazil, at least you don't become stereotypical like GA, who thinks throwing Aussie barbs at an Irishman is going to hurt his feelings and then goes offline!
    Think you mean our rotund, er, friend...

What he (gastric) said was very clear:

When I asked:

"So, in summary, these lads' childhood dream is to represent Northern Ireland, but once they reach a certain age (not "early teens"), they decide the IFA are unwelcoming, and switch?

By "politics", do you mean the player's politics ie. they realise that their politics is that of an Irish Nationalist/Republican ie. not in keeping with representing a British Association, and a territory that forms a part of the United Kingdom?"

His response was:

"Yes reality bites!"

Not much ambiguity there, mo chara.
    Hmm, I'd said there was. Judging it by the tone, rather than what was written.

It must be the way you ask 'em....
    And then put a unique interpretation on it afterwards.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    You only have players of limited ability and many of them are wanting to play for Ireland. You can continue to put a spin on what seems a peverse logic, but facts are facts, your present system/ set up alienates many players and the obvious reasons remain sectaranism and the associated politics. Also, the hypocrisy that exists - 'don't take our players, but it's okay if we take Alex Bruce' indicates a sense of desperation.
    There is no "spin".

If a player has ambitions of wanting to progress his senior international career with the South, I don't want him in any Northern Ireland representive side - I think it's unfair to players of similar ability whose sole international ambition it to represent Northern Ireland at senior level.

It could be similarly argued that the FAI's present system and set up alienates many eligible players for obvious reasons - but it's red herring, don't you think?

International football is intertwined with "politics" - as has often been highlighted by some of your fellow Republic Of Ireland fans on this and other forums.

I believe that one of the key drivers of the players switching to the South from Northern Ireland is the player's "politics" - it seems natural to me that an Irish Republican would want to play for the, er, Republic of Ireland - there's a clue in the name.

With regards to Alex Bruce, personally I will not be in attendance at any International match in which he is in our squad. I'm quite sure that many of those who will attend, will voice their disapproval at the IFA for bringing the mercenary in from the cold of his, self imposed, international wilderness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    How much of a difference does it make to you?
    I thought them were the "rules", no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Hmm, I'd said there was. Judging it by the tone, rather than what was written.
    I couldn't hear gastic write it, I could only read what he wrote...which was quite clear.

That's the nature of internet discussion.