Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 387 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    I disagree with Kee showing maturity on the topic as this part of his comment, "“Some from nationalist backgrounds will feel an affiliation with the Republic" demonstrates that he doesn't get it either.
    I feel his words demonstrate a greater degree of maturity regarding the situation in contrast to the ridiculous sensationalism of some others. Perhaps he doesn't quite understand the rules, but I take it from his words that he understands that the player has every right to play for the FAI. What is it from the comment which you have quoted that tells you he doesn't quite 'get it'?

I've asked elsewhere what would have suddenly prompted two articles and a poll in the paper on the same day, but no one seems to know. Was there a squad announcement or something?
    Perhaps the editor asked these people to pursue this story? Slow news day?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    I feel his words demonstrate a greater degree of maturity regarding the situation in contrast to the ridiculous sensationalism of some others. Perhaps he doesn't quite understand the rules, but I take it from his words that he understands that the player has every right to play for the FAI. What is it from the comment which you have quoted that tells you he doesn't quite 'get it'?
    He has brought peoples politcal beliefs into the mix by using the term natiionalist. Nor has it anything to do with feeling an affiliation. It is not about him knowing the rules, more about learning and understand why people want to play for their country. When bothers to do so, then he may be showing maturity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    In my opinion, it seems like Kee obviously respects the kid's decision and he isn't, as far as I can tell, looking to prohibit players from playing the FAI (although of course it is in the interests of his job to encourage players to stay with the IFA). He doesn't show ignorance of the rules by saying stuff like "If ye're born in Norn Iron, ye play for Norn Iron", or rambling on about having parents or grandparents born in the territory of the relevant association. He also isn't claiming that the FAI is on a crusade to make the IFA team Protestant, like Trevor Ringland. Those things show me a relative degree of maturity compared to the rest of the commentary. If you don't see that, no problem.

Have you had any luck in finding out why these stories have been printed? It really is out of the blue. Perhaps the new IFA president hoping to garner more support for another appeal to FIFA to change the rules or something?

Why do people want to play for their country, by the way?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I'd agree that what was quoted from Kee was decent enough. Bear in mind though, that he's the coach of a 'mixed' team and he would be shooting himself in the foot if he polarised opinion within his squad, with anything other than mature diplomacy. But he appears to understand his role.
    The booby prize goes to politicians like sports minister McCausland, who deliberately misrepresent facts to foment divisive social ignorance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The booby prize goes to politicians like sports minister McCausland, who deliberately misrepresent facts to foment divisive social ignorance.
    A Northern Ireland politician deliberately misrepresenting facts to forment divisive social ignorance???......................Never.
    Last edited by The Fly; 06/03/2011 at 7:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Oops, that should've been................Never! Never! Never!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    He has brought peoples politcal beliefs into the mix by using the term natiionalist. Nor has it anything to do with feeling an affiliation. It is not about him knowing the rules, more about learning and understand why people want to play for their country. When bothers to do so, then he may be showing maturity
    Think you're a bit harsh, there Mr P. Sounds to me as if he understands why people want to play well enough, he's merely adding the context of who they want to play for.

Agreed he could have avoided the term nationalist, but it's hardly "immature" given the wider issue.

More cheerfully, our U-18 schools side managed a notable win over England this weekend, 2-0 at Telford United. The players gave the travelling support of three a lap of honor at the end

You could ask Biggles McCartney or Mad Stevie Ireland...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    More cheerfully, our U-18 schools side managed a notable win over England this weekend, 2-0 at Telford United.
    That indeed is cheerful news.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    In my opinion, it seems like Kee obviously respects the kid's decision and he isn't, as far as I can tell, looking to prohibit players from playing the FAI (although of course it is in the interests of his job to encourage players to stay with the IFA). He doesn't show ignorance of the rules by saying stuff like "If ye're born in Norn Iron, ye play for Norn Iron", or rambling on about having parents or grandparents born in the territory of the relevant association. He also isn't claiming that the FAI is on a crusade to make the IFA team Protestant, like Trevor Ringland. Those things show me a relative degree of maturity compared to the rest of the commentary. If you don't see that, no problem.

Have you had any luck in finding out why these stories have been printed? It really is out of the blue. Perhaps the new IFA president hoping to garner more support for another appeal to FIFA to change the rules or something?

I'll conceed a degree of maturity bring shown by comparison to others, but I am still of the opinion that his words still show that he has a way to go in his understanding. As for why the story was run, no, still no answers.
    Last edited by Mr_Parker; 06/03/2011 at 9:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I do agree that Kee's words are somewhat of a progression from the line we hear from some in the IFA and the likes of Trevor Ringland, Stuart McKinley or Nelson McCausland, but I do see Mr_Parker's point. It's not about Kee and those in the IFA recognising that a player might "feel" a mere "affiliation with the Republic"; it's about recognising that such a player is as Irish as an Irish national born south of the border. Once we can get over that particular hurdle, the debate can cease. The likelihood of that seems slim, however.

I'd imagine the debate raised its head again due to Paul George's decision to declare for us becoming public the other day, no? A bit ridiculous to continue crying foul, but sure anything to latch onto in order to brew up a storm...

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I'd imagine the debate raised its head again due to Paul George's decision to declare for us becoming public the other day, no? A bit ridiculous to continue crying foul, but sure anything to latch onto in order to brew up a storm...
    Paul's decision to represent Ireland has been public knowledge for several months and i recall the Irish Star covering the story back in October last year.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Kee intimated that it was a family decision, which could be interpreted that the player would have continued to play for NI if his family had not been interfering.
    But probably it was more that the kid talked it over with his family before deciding, which sounds 'normal' to me.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    He has brought peoples political beliefs into the mix by using the term nationalist. Nor has it anything to do with feeling an affiliation. It is not about him knowing the rules, more about learning and understand why people want to play for their country.
    Surely the reason anyone wants to play for a country is partially because of a 'political belief', even subliminally. And is certainly about an 'affiliation'.
    Ask all those Irish citzens who've played for their international team, born in England or elsewhere.

Not to mention, for numerous other national sides and the like....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Surely the reason anyone wants to play for a country is partially because of a 'political belief', even subliminally. And is certainly about an 'affiliation'.
    Ask all those Irish citzens who've played for their international team, born in England or elsewhere.

Not to mention, for numerous other national sides and the like....
    I fully understand that, but it was not what I was getting at. The statement he makes contradicts those points you make and that to extent was my point.

17. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    what about another senario. are republic players able to play for the north? or do they need a british passport? i was born in the usa to an irish father i have an irish passport so i can play for eire or the usa but can i opt for northern ireland too? i assume there are rules about roi players who want to play for the north

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sean r View Post
    what about another senario. are republic players able to play for the north? or do they need a british passport? i was born in the usa to an irish father i have an irish passport so i can play for eire or the usa but can i opt for northern ireland too? i assume there are rules about roi players who want to play for the north
    All players from NI are eligible to play for RoI (unless and untilthey play for NI in a competitive senior game).

Some but not all from RoI are eligible to play for NI, they can qualify through ancestry or residence as well as nationality/ citizenship.
    Last edited by Gather round; 07/03/2011 at 12:12 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Are you any good Sean?

You would need your father or his parents to be born inside the 6 counties in order to eligible for NI. Nationality is the criteria for International teams. You would need to be a British national to play for NI. Being born (or having a parent/grandparent born) in the 26 counties, does not by itself qualify you for British nationality.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    All players from NI are eligible to play for RoI (unless and until they play for NI in a competitive senior game).

Some but not all from RoI are eligible to play for NI, they can qualify through ancestry or residence as well as nationality/ citizenship.
    Really?? Are you sure?? Would never have known.....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    capital Y A W N

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    well i am decent i am eligible for a british passport because my granny was born in eire before the rebellion so she is british. so i am in the maik taylor mold i can play for any of the 4 home countries because i am eligible for a british passport and not being born in britian. matthew letissier was the same way he could of played for northern ireland since he was born jersey. maik taylor was born in germany but could play for n.i becase he was a british citizen born abroad, so he chose northern ireland. so could grame lesaux could of played for n.i so the rules are tricky with british citizenship it seems anyone born out side of britian can play for the home countries if there british citizens so i dont know what northern ireland problem is they could of had owen hargraves, le tiss,lesaux dorigo ect they just chose not to cap them or even approach them

Page 5 of 387 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast