Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 7722

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Same as he said in the Irish Times a few months ago I think. McElduff should stay out, the last thing anyone wants is this going Stormont. And you're bang on - Kerr's fishing.
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-n...a-2844032.html

Staggering hypocrisy from Kerr given that, as far as I recall, it was under his under age tenure that Nothern players such as Crossley started declaring in earnest....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-n...a-2844032.html

Staggering hypocrisy from Kerr given that, as far as I recall, it was under his under age tenure that Nothern players such as Crossley started declaring in earnest....
    I've a lot of time for Kerr but he can be very inconsistent in his arguements.
    Also I believe I'm correct in saying that the broad belief among NI supporters that the FAI are actively poaching/canvassing/sounding out players, who've hitherto played for the IFA but aren't yet tied, is based on an unsolicitied approach to Chris Baird from one Brian Kerr way back 2003 direction. Baird himself is apparently the source of this information.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Degenirated into mud slinging and general WUMerry from Not Brazil. Should be cleaned up and left in place as his dedicated players thread though.
    That's a misrepresentation of NB's contribution.

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Is he correct about a gentleman's agreement having been in place whereby players had to remain with the IFA until at least the age of 17? I'd never heard that before. Surely that's not right, but it seems very specific for something he'd have just plucked out of his imagination, if you know what I mean. I still don't see how it could be right though. What age was Gibson when he declared for us? And Paul George? And didn't Ger Crossley appear for our under-16s a decade and a half ago?
    UEFA give Darron's UEFA Competition debut for our Under 17's on 21/10/03 against Austria. He was still 15 at the time.
    Last edited by Irwin3; 10/08/2011 at 2:19 PM.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The recruitment of Gerry Armstrong is a good move, it's proactive - in contrast to the negative, small minded, under-seige, mindset of the OWC and their cohorts, in their attitude to the young Irish players born in the North.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Nigel Worthington 'respects' James McClean decision
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjSCV...eature=related
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    McElduff's response confirmed. Kerr be a 'disgrace'.

I would really rather not have politicians butting in on this, and I can easily imagine a DUPper getting in on this on behalf of the NI supporters and it escalating beyond any sense of perspective. BUT...McElduff's right and Kerr comes across as downright disingenuous. I don't know about him 'not' making it easy for players, or whatever, but he certainly took advantage of eligibility where possible if the player was good enough.

This in particular sticks in the craw:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kerr View Post
    "I inherited one or two and one or two came after that but we didn't make it easy for them.

"We did, in fact, tell some players that they would be better off not playing for us because they were unlikely to get to the top level."
    I think both NI and ROI supporters can agree that you've totally missed the point there Brian. It's not about footballing ability - it's about choosing to play for your country, with the inherent risk you may miss out on international football altogether. These guys would rather play for ROI - their country - or not play at all. Better all round. You silly WUM.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    I can't think of anyone in our Senior squad, born in Northern Ireland, who had to think twice about it.

I can certainly think of players who had to think twice about playing for the South - or maybe three times.
    McGinn and McCourt for starters, despite the latter's goals v. the Faroes.
    As that recent photo showed, Chris Baird's not too keen on the pro-German dirge.

And Lee Camp obviously, as his international career started elsewhere.
    Soon to be joined also by Alex Bruce....

Been told McCourt wanted to play for Ireland, but the door wasn't sufficiently open.

And 'South'? Korea??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Seems that it was Stephen Kenny (as per his comments on OTB tonight) who brought McClean to the attention of the IFA after they had ignored him post-Milk Cup and McClean himself had no thoughts either way until he was called into the NI squad for tonight's game.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Whatever the rights & wrongs, McClean should be afforded his own thread...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Whatever the rights & wrongs, McClean should be afforded his own thread...
    maybe when he makes his first appearance for Sunderland and we can talk about his game and not about his decision. Thats what this thread should be used for.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Yes, of course, the history of his career is of no relevance...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    maybe when he makes his first appearance for Sunderland and we can talk about his game and not about his decision. Thats what this thread should be used for.
    His appearances for Derry don't count?

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    McElduff's response confirmed. Kerr be a 'disgrace'.

I would really rather not have politicians butting in on this, and I can easily imagine a DUPper getting in on this on behalf of the NI supporters and it escalating beyond any sense of perspective. BUT...McElduff's right and Kerr comes across as downright disingenuous. I don't know about him 'not' making it easy for players, or whatever, but he certainly took advantage of eligibility where possible if the player was good enough.

This in particular sticks in the craw:

I think both NI and ROI supporters can agree that you've totally missed the point there Brian. It's not about footballing ability - it's about choosing to play for your country, with the inherent risk you may miss out on international football altogether. These guys would rather play for ROI - their country - or not play at all. Better all round. You silly WUM.
    At least McElduff is a bit closer to the mark than most who decide to have a say on the issue in the media under their purported expertise when he says the GFA "secured" the right. I suppose it did copper-fasten it in a way, although it's not as if the right wasn't there before hand or as if FIFA had ever disputed it, even after the IFA made an issue of it in 1994 to the FIFA Players' Status Committee in Zurich.

As for Kerr, I think these comments also betray a serious misunderstanding (strange for a man with a Belfast father?):

"I know some of the northern players have an identity with the Republic because of the communities they're living in. I think, over time, that can change," he said.
    It's disappointing to hear him talk of identities possibly changing or whatever when Irish nationals in the north are just as Irish as anyone born south of the border. Why should people adopt some new identity that is foreign to them when their current identity is just as valid as anyone else's? It's as if to accuse nationalists of possessing a false or temporary national identity and it's more akin to something you'd expect from a dyed-in-the-wool loyalist back in the 1970s, to be honest.

"But I don't think the Republic should be taking advantage of the Belfast Agreement to the extent they're using it in football as a way of recruiting players."
    Beyond the fact the FAI aren't actually taking advantage of the GFA, that's a daft comment insofar as every other association in the world similarly uses the scope of their country's nationality laws to their advantage and in line with the rules.

I think Kerr is vying for Worthington's job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Yes, of course, the history of his career is of no relevance...
    nice try but you know thats not what i meant. You werent discussing the history of his career in the thread that you all caused to be binned. It wouldnt have been binned if you had been talking about his career.

His appearances for Derry don't count?
    not in this forum they dont. Never seen his appearances for Derry mentioned in this forum before. You? EL players dont typically get a thread here until they move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I think Kerr is vying for Worthington's job.
    Getting dumped by Miss Ireland must do strange things to a man. Y'hear stories about her occasionally, your ex. How she got into an awful state with her new guy 'Steve' over in Cyprus. The road accident in San Marino - the two old ladies who died. He makes her call him 'the gaffer'. It makes your blood boil. You were her gaffer once. You know he's a bad influence on her but it don't change the fact she's moved on. Last you heard she'd hooked up with some wealthy old Italian dude. Two guys in a row with exotic accents...you feel inadequate. Someone mentions that he watches DVDs of them together. That dirty b@stard you think to yourself, as the boats pull into Tórshavn. She's not taking as many beatings these days but hell, that's small consolation.

And then you happen to run into her plump, illegitimate cousin. She's got identity and abandonment issues. Some say she's trouble.

But you think hmmm...

I'd hit that.
    Last edited by Sullivinho; 11/08/2011 at 5:49 AM.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    EL players dont typically get a thread here until they move.
    http://foot.ie/threads/102730-Keith-Fahey?
    http://foot.ie/threads/13833-Jason-Byrne?
    http://foot.ie/threads/47151-Roy-O-Donovan?
    http://foot.ie/threads/58807-Wes-Hoolahan?
    http://foot.ie/threads/53756-Emelka-Onwubiko?

In fact, that thread for Onwubiko features 13 pages (i.e. the entire thread) discussing pretty much anything but Onwubiko, never mind his football; from nationalised citizens playing for us to multiculturalism to "plastic paddies" to the nature of Irishness itself...

And you should be well aware of these two yourself:

http://foot.ie/threads/124093-Conor-Powell?
    http://foot.ie/threads/121274-Brian-Murphy?

not in this forum they dont. Never seen his appearances for Derry mentioned in this forum before. You?
    That's because McClean only ever mentioned that we were in his plans three days ago; the day the thread was started. Prior to that, there had been no indication in the slightest - be it rumour, paper-talk or something from the player himself - that he'd even been considering switching. Actually, it would have been fair to assume otherwise as he was playing with NI at under-age level, seemed to express disappointment in the Derry Journal that he'd been ignored by Worthington for their senior set-up about a month or two ago and was then called up to their squad the other day. In light of that, it never appeared there was any need to discuss him or his appearances for Derry as it didn't seem like he'd ever be an option for us, but I think his appearances are entirely relevant now he's expressed his intentions to play for us, even if he was still with Derry such was his profile in the league. Anyway, he's an Irish player at a Premiership club now; of course his thread should never have been binned.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    Getting dumped by Miss Ireland must do strange things to a man. Y'hear stories about her occasionally, your ex. How she got into an awful state with her new guy 'Steve' over in Cyprus. The road accident in San Marino - the two old ladies who died. He makes her call him 'the gaffer'. It makes your blood boil. You were her gaffer once. You know he's a bad influence on her but it don't change the fact she's moved on. Last you heard she'd hooked up with some wealthy old Italian dude. Two guys in a row with exotic accents...you feel inadequate. Someone mentions that he watches DVDs of them together. That dirty b@stard you think to yourself, as the boats pull into Tórshavn. She's not taking as many beatings these days but hell, that's small consolation.

And then you happen to run into her plump, illegitimate cousin. She's got identity and abandonment issues. Some say she's trouble.

But you think hmmm...

I'd hit that.
    I think you've just won the thread.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    http://foot.ie/threads/102730-Keith-Fahey?
    http://foot.ie/threads/13833-Jason-Byrne?
    http://foot.ie/threads/47151-Roy-O-Donovan?
    http://foot.ie/threads/58807-Wes-Hoolahan?
    http://foot.ie/threads/53756-Emelka-Onwubiko?

In fact, that thread for Onwubiko features 13 pages (i.e. the entire thread) discussing pretty much anything but Onwubiko, never mind his football; from nationalised citizens playing for us to multiculturalism to "plastic paddies" to the nature of Irishness itself...

And you should be well aware of these two yourself:

http://foot.ie/threads/124093-Conor-Powell?
    http://foot.ie/threads/121274-Brian-Murphy?.
    7 players in the history of the EL. Im taking you at face value that these were started before they moved to England.

Thank you for proving my point.

That's because McClean only ever mentioned that we were in his plans three days ago; the day the thread was started. Prior to that, there had been no indication in the slightest - be it rumour, paper-talk or something from the player himself - that he'd even been considering switching. Actually, it would have been fair to assume otherwise as he was playing with NI at under-age level, seemed to express disappointment in the Derry Journal that he'd been ignored by Worthington for their senior set-up about a month or two ago and was then called up to their squad the other day. In light of that, it never appeared there was any need to discuss him or his appearances for Derry as it didn't seem like he'd ever be an option for us, but I think his appearances are entirely relevant now he's expressed his intentions to play for us, even if he was still with Derry such was his profile in the league. Anyway, he's an Irish player at a Premiership club now; of course his thread should never have been binned.
    heres the thing Danny. Very few in that thread were discussing McClean let alone specific appearances for Derry. I counted two, maybe three, general critiques of the player. By the time the 1st page of the thread had ended it had already been taken over by the usual suspects AGAIN rehashing the same old arguments AGAIN. I agree he should have his own thread now, of course I do, but it shouldnt be another thread about eligibility which it had become - take a read of it again if you dont believe me, its actually quite an absurd thread. Any McClean thread should be about his future performances (and past performances too if you insist).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    They were just a few I found off the top of my head whose threads were started whilst playing in the League of Ireland. I'm sure there are more. Anyway, I still think that eligibility talk could have been thrown in here, or just that binned alone if it was so bad. But his decision was always going to spark eligiblity-type discussion as it came as such a surprise. It was undeniably newsworthy.