Page 381 of 382 FirstFirst ... 281331371379380381382 LastLast
Results 7,601 to 7,620 of 7621

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

  1. #7601
    First Team EalingGreen's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,265
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Looks like the North are going with Tommy Wright as their new manager. After Michael O'Neill created a more welcoming environment for those of Catholic/Nationalist backgrounds, it will be interesting to see if UDR-supporter Wright can keep up that work: https://twitter.com/ChuckReboots/sta...191066112?s=19
    Vincent Sweeney (ex-DCFC) thinks Tommy would be great for the job:

    “Tommy was amazing for me and he changed my career,” he said. “He took a special interest in me at Limavady and he took my game to a different level.

    “He had a massive impact on me,” he said. “He demanded a lot from you, but I loved every moment playing under Tommy.

    “It doesn’t surprise me that he has gone on to do what he’s done in management and that he’s now being linked with an international job.

    https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/...erves-18311783

    They must be in the same lodge...

  2. #7602
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    14,657
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,610
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,585
    Thanked in
    1,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Vincent Sweeney (ex-DCFC) thinks Tommy would be great for the job:

    “Tommy was amazing for me and he changed my career,” he said. “He took a special interest in me at Limavady and he took my game to a different level.

    “He had a massive impact on me,” he said. “He demanded a lot from you, but I loved every moment playing under Tommy.

    “It doesn’t surprise me that he has gone on to do what he’s done in management and that he’s now being linked with an international job.

    https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/...erves-18311783

    They must be in the same lodge...
    That's Tommy's alibi, his catholic friend who stands by him to the end.

  3. Thanks From:


  4. #7603
    First Team EalingGreen's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,265
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    That's Tommy's alibi, his catholic friend who stands by him to the end.
    I'm not sure whether that is some sort of clever reference which I don't get, or whether it's meant to be taken as read.

    Assuming it's the latter, then by the presumption of innocence which everyone deserves - even evil Black Prods - it should be for Tommy's detractors to find Catholics who do consider him a bigot, rather than his admirers to list all those who don't.

    Though when I say "Catholics" (plural), I'd accept even one out of the hundreds he has worked with during his long career in NI, ROI and Scotland.

    You know, to set against all those who have only good things to say about him, incl those who happily apply to work for him.

  5. #7604
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    14,657
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,610
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,585
    Thanked in
    1,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    I'm not sure whether that is some sort of clever reference which I don't get, or whether it's meant to be taken as read.

    Assuming it's the latter, then by the presumption of innocence which everyone deserves - even evil Black Prods - it should be for Tommy's detractors to find Catholics who do consider him a bigot, rather than his admirers to list all those who don't.

    Though when I say "Catholics" (plural), I'd accept even one out of the hundreds he has worked with during his long career in NI, ROI and Scotland.

    You know, to set against all those who have only good things to say about him, incl those who happily apply to work for him.
    Still the same old Ealing Green, absent of humour.
    Did you really 100% think I was serious? perhaps it was just 96%. You really need to listen more to the 4%.

  6. #7605
    First Team
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,194
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,556
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    318
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    I'm not sure whether that is some sort of clever reference which I don't get, or whether it's meant to be taken as read.

    Assuming it's the latter, then by the presumption of innocence which everyone deserves - even evil Black Prods - it should be for Tommy's detractors to find Catholics who do consider him a bigot, rather than his admirers to list all those who don't.

    Though when I say "Catholics" (plural), I'd accept even one out of the hundreds he has worked with during his long career in NI, ROI and Scotland.

    You know, to set against all those who have only good things to say about him, incl those who happily apply to work for him.
    Would that be good for their Health.

    Perhaps we should get Neil Lennon’s Opines on the Northern Ireland situation ?

  7. #7606
    First Team EalingGreen's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,265
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Still the same old Ealing Green, absent of humour.
    Did you really 100% think I was serious? perhaps it was just 96%. You really need to listen more to the 4%.
    Nope, wasn't sure about the original post.

    Still not completely sure about this one, tbh.

    Oh well.

  8. #7607
    First Team EalingGreen's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,265
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Would that be good for their Health.
    Er, what do the likes of Vincent Sweeney have to lose? That makes no sense, since anyone worried about consequences could always just keep quiet.

    Instead, we have people from all backgrounds queuing up to vouch for him, even work for him.

    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Perhaps we should get Neil Lennon’s Opines on the Northern Ireland situation ?
    "Whataboutery" - the last resort when someones case has been exposed as nothing more than ignorant, uninformed prejudice.

    Btw, which "Neil Lennon" are you referring to? The one whose first six years playing for NI coincided with the last six years of a certain "Tommy Wright"?

    Or the one who has crossed swords with Tommy manys a time on the touchline in the SPL, without any evidence whatever of personal animosity?

    You should quit while you're behind.

  9. #7608
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    99
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    37
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Er, what do the likes of Vincent Sweeney have to lose?
    He is a moron. Has become social media “famous” in Derry the past 8 weeks due to his rambling nonsensical videos and having well broadcast fight in a shopping complex with another local personal trainer in the middle of it all before you go telling others to quit while they are behind you may want to validate the source of the opinion you are quoting because there is no one would put any stock in what the man says.

  10. Thanks From:


  11. #7609
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,449
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    964
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Er, what do the likes of Vincent Sweeney have to lose? That makes no sense, since anyone worried about consequences could always just keep quiet.

    Instead, we have people from all backgrounds queuing up to vouch for him, even work for him.

    "Whataboutery" - the last resort when someones case has been exposed as nothing more than ignorant, uninformed prejudice.

    Btw, which "Neil Lennon" are you referring to? The one whose first six years playing for NI coincided with the last six years of a certain "Tommy Wright"?

    Or the one who has crossed swords with Tommy manys a time on the touchline in the SPL, without any evidence whatever of personal animosity?

    You should quit while you're behind.
    Did you not resort to utter "whataboutery" in response to my post i.e. well if Tommy Wright is seen wearing a loyalist badge, what about former LOI nobody saying he got on with Wright? It was an absolute stab in the dark at "whataboutery". In fact, it was based on prejudice too because you had to dig so deep to find someone with an Irish surname that played for Derry City to provide some semblance of evidence.

    I'm all for alternative points of view. I feel, however, you veer so far into the territories of double standards that it renders your alternative points of view laughable all too frequently.

  12. #7610
    First Team EalingGreen's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,265
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    He is a moron. Has become social media “famous” in Derry the past 8 weeks due to his rambling nonsensical videos and having well broadcast fight in a shopping complex with another local personal trainer in the middle of it all before you go telling others to quit while they are behind you may want to validate the source of the opinion you are quoting because there is no one would put any stock in what the man says.
    Whether a "moron" or otherwise, how does that invalidate his opinion that TW treated him very well during his time working for him?

  13. #7611
    First Team
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,194
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,556
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    318
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Er, what do the likes of Vincent Sweeney have to lose? That makes no sense, since anyone worried about consequences could always just keep quiet.

    Instead, we have people from all backgrounds queuing up to vouch for him, even work for him.

    "Whataboutery" - the last resort when someones case has been exposed as nothing more than ignorant, uninformed prejudice.

    Btw, which "Neil Lennon" are you referring to? The one whose first six years playing for NI coincided with the last six years of a certain "Tommy Wright"?

    Or the one who has crossed swords with Tommy manys a time on the touchline in the SPL, without any evidence whatever of personal animosity?

    You should quit while you're behind.
    I meant players that are playing for Northern Ireland or going to (possibly ) play for Northern Ireland !

    I believe as Neil Lennon went through some of the bad consequences of playing for Northern Ireland that his opines would be good and does he regret playing for Northern Ireland etc etc.

  14. #7612
    First Team EalingGreen's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,265
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Did you not resort to utter "whataboutery" in response to my post i.e. well if Tommy Wright is seen wearing a loyalist badge, what about former LOI nobody saying he got on with Wright? It was an absolute stab in the dark at "whataboutery". In fact, it was based on prejudice too because you had to dig so deep to find someone with an Irish surname that played for Derry City to provide some semblance of evidence.
    No I did not.

    Whataboutery is when discussing "X" (in this case Wright), someone comes back with "Y" (in this case Lennon).

    Whereas when we were discussing Wright, I pointed to all the numerous examples of Wright working happily and successfully with literally hundreds of people with a CNR background over two decades in NI, ROI and Scotland, many of whom are now vouching for him, Wright.

    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I'm all for alternative points of view. I feel, however, you veer so far into the territories of double standards that it renders your alternative points of view laughable all too frequently.
    The only thing which is "laughable" is your inability to understand a simple concept like Whataboutery.

  15. #7613
    First Team EalingGreen's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,265
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    I meant players that are playing for Northern Ireland or going to (possibly ) play for Northern Ireland !
    So you're basing your case on your speculation that some unnamed, unidentified player or players might not want to play for NI under Wright.

    You have absolutely no evidence for same, while I have the counter-evidence of literally hundreds who have worked for, alongside and over* him, not one of whom has ever cast any aspersions, even obliquely, on his character. On the contrary, many are speaking up for him voluntarily (eg Sweeney), and/or applying to work for him (eg Maybury).


    * - People who have employed TW include eg Michael O'Neill, who took him to Shamrock Rovers to be their Goalkeeping Coach. That's the Shamrock Rovers who play in Dublin btw. In the LOI. In the Irish Republic.

    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    I believe as Neil Lennon went through some of the bad consequences of playing for Northern Ireland that his opines would be good and does he regret playing for Northern Ireland etc etc.
    OK, I'll bite.

    Here are two examples of what NL has had to say, the first was in 2001 while he was playing for NI, the second was after he retired in 2011.


    Neil Lennon paid tribute to the Northern Ireland fans after he received nothing but cheers from the supporters in Saturday's World Cup qualifier against the Czech Republic.

    However, the Celtic midfielder was "gutted" by Northern Ireland's 1-0 defeat after what he described as a "tremendous performance".

    "I'm really sorry for the lads because the efforts they put in were magnificent.

    "But the support out there today from the fans was brilliant.

    "That is what Northern Ireland football should be all about.

    "The atmosphere today was as good as it's ever been since I've been involved with Northern Ireland," added Lennon.

    The home fans sang `There's only one Neil Lennon' at the end and manager Sammy McIlroy was delighted at the response of the 10,000 crowd.

    "The crowd were 100% behind every player, Neil Lennon included," said McIlroy.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...02/1240496.stm

    and

    “People like Stewart [McAfee, of 'Football For All'] are the Unsung Heroes who have been brave enough to challenge sectarianism and who have actively created a more fun, safe and family orientated atmosphere at international games. Fans like Stewart have made the atmosphere at Northern Ireland football games in recent years the envy of Fans across not only Europe but World Football. From a personal point of view I would like to thank them for their efforts.”
    (The above is from a video message NL sent to an IFA Awards Evening in Belfast, which NL couldn't attend since he was on Celtic duty)

    Then again, I'm sure Neil is capable of distinguishing between some scumbag who threatens him and the great majority of ordinary, decent fans who are really only interested in football, if only because he knows the latter. Unlike you.

    And he also knows - and has played with - Tommy Wright, yet has never to my knowledge had a problem with him. Which considering the volatile nature of both men, who currently have to operate in a bearpit like the SPL, must be unique.

    But maybe you know better.
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 03/06/2020 at 12:19 PM.

  16. #7614
    First Team
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,194
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,556
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    318
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Doth Thou Protest Too Much ? ? ? Ealing Green !

  17. #7615
    First Team EalingGreen's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,265
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Doth Thou Protest Too Much ? ? ? Ealing Green !
    Er, it was 'Ole Ole' in post #7590 who first "protested" about TW possibly being up for the NI manager's job in this, a thread dealing with Player Eligibility, nine months after the previous post.

    And it was you who piled in the same evening, to add your own protest.

    And if I am contributing, it is only in response to such ignorant, ill-informed and prejudicial protests.

    As I'm having to do now, sadly.

  18. Thanks From:


  19. #7616
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    99
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    37
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Whether a "moron" or otherwise, how does that invalidate his opinion that TW treated him very well during his time working for him?
    Someone being an absolute buffoon removes credibility from basically every opinion they provide imo.

    Anyway if NI hire Wright then it won’t be his politics that further helps the FAI get the pick of talented players from nationalist backgrounds it will be the crap football and inevitable return to the doldrums.

  20. #7617
    First Team EalingGreen's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,265
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Someone being an absolute buffoon removes credibility from basically every opinion they provide imo.
    So Sweeney isn't even capable of judging that TW treated him very well during his time working for him?

    Aye, right.

    P.S. Anything to say about VS's postscript to his comment on Wright?
    “It’s the same with Stephen Kenny. I worked under both and they were inspirational figures. It was a privilege playing for two successful managers like that.”

    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Anyway if NI hire Wright then it won’t be his politics that further helps the FAI get the pick of talented players from nationalist backgrounds it will be the crap football and inevitable return to the doldrums.
    We'll take our chance on that, thanks very much.

  21. #7618
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    99
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    37
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    .

    P.S. Anything to say about VS's postscript to his comment on Wright?
    “It’s the same with Stephen Kenny. I worked under both and they were inspirational figures. It was a privilege playing for two successful managers like that.”

    ch.
    Absolutely I do and thanks for asking, he played for a brief period (and very rarely) under SK in our year in the first few months of our season in the 1st division so in truth knows little about him but likes to massage his ego by being associated with the Ireland national manager in a Belfast news source (for the want of a better term).

    Anyway I don’t really care about Tommy Wright at all and my original comment was designed to point out that the man who’s opinion you were using as the sole basis for your argument should be taken with a bottle as opposed to a pinch of salt.

  22. #7619
    First Team EalingGreen's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,265
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Anyway I don’t really care about Tommy Wright at all and my original comment was designed to point out that the man who’s opinion you were using as the sole basis for your argument should be taken with a bottle as opposed to a pinch of salt.
    "Sole basis"?

    If eg you refer back to my post #7593, you'll see where I replied to the question: "Why would any Catholic/Nationalist/Republican want to play for [Wright]?" with:

    "Why don't you ask eg Joe Shaughnessy, Graham Cummings, David McMillan, Patrick Cregg or Tim Clancy? (Those being the ROI players he signed for St.Johnstone)

    Or Alan Maybury, who he took on as Assistant Coach a couple of years back.

    Or the dozens of CNR players he coached/managed previously eg at Limavady, Ballymena and Distillery, or with NI's under-age teams?

    Or if those are too far from your neck of the woods, you could ask any of the players he coached at Shamrock Rovers.

    You know, when he was appointed by his good friend and former teammate, Michael O'Neill..."


    You see, one of the factors which has distinguished Tommy's career in management is his ability to get the best from his players, even when they're otherwise limited. Which is hardly going to be sustained down the years if the guy's got the unpleasant, bigoted personality which some people try to ascribe to him.

    Then again, mere evidence like that probably holds no weight with those self-same small-minded people when they're determined to hold onto their prejudices about "themmuns" no matter what.

  23. #7620
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    14,657
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,610
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,585
    Thanked in
    1,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Nope, wasn't sure about the original post.

    Still not completely sure about this one, tbh.

    Oh well.
    You can be sure.
    It's okay not to be completely sure, but to be 90% sure is a safe bet.

    I think Tommy Wright would be a good choice for NI but it's a difficult task at this stage for anyone to pick up the NI baton and expect him to get similar results.

Similar Threads

  1. Eligibility Rules, Okay
    By TheOneWhoKnocks in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03/02/2017, 11:17 AM
  2. Eligibility Rules, Okay
    By geysir in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12/11/2013, 9:47 AM
  3. Problem - eligibility
    By SkStu in forum Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25/05/2011, 8:14 AM
  4. Eligibility proposal
    By paul_oshea in forum Ireland
    Replies: 1111
    Last Post: 02/01/2008, 8:20 AM
  5. Eligibility Rules
    By Stuttgart88 in forum Ireland
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10/11/2004, 5:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •