Results 7,521 to 7,540 of 7722

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bA6ODJYxYnY
    Irish Football Fan TV have spoken to his mother and she says Ireland is his first choice, they just require FIFA clearance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    Doesn't make any sense. There are countless examples of lads who have played for Ireland who have applied for a passport subsequent to playing underage for another country, usually England.

Nathan Redmond musn't be eligible for Ireland then so.
    Wouldn't Callum Robinson have been in the same boat as Johansson?
    Robinson played underage for England and had to apply for an Irish passport to switch to us - so he wouldn't have had an Irish PP when playing for England.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    My grasp of the eligibility rules isn't as firm as it was, but I suspect we may miss out here. I think it hinges on whether his mother was born in Ireland or not. I thought she was, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, can someone clarify which Irish underage games Ryan played in?
    Last edited by The Fly; 02/08/2019 at 2:21 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts
    I think there is a difference regarding acquirement of nationality as opposed to acquirement of citizenship. So, you can have a nationality by right without yet having acquired citizenship - but in order to acquire nationality, you need to be eligible for citizenship. Technically, the department of justice requires a person who qualifies through grand-parentage to be registered on the Foreign Births Register before they gain citizenship and therefore it's not a default nationality. So basically, because he wasn't yet registered on the foreign births register, he wasn't entitled to citizenship yet. So, it does seem that every English born player who wasn't registered in that way and had played a competitive game for a youth side wasn't technically eligible and their switch should have been rejected. However, it only came to light because the Luxembourg FA highlighted and queried the issue whereas The (English) FA didn't.

If this interpretation stuck, then there would be serious ramifications for us.

I suppose they have to argue that considering there are no circumstance where he would be denied citizenship, so he's no different to someone born to an irish born parent – and that the foreign births register is a bureaucratic step no different to any other in a citizenship process - but it's a total ****ing mess.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    My grasp of the eligibility rules isn't as firm as it was, but I suspect we may miss out here.

I think it hinges on whether his mother was born in Ireland or not. I thought she was, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    As far as I'm aware Johansson's mother was born in England to Irish parents but raised in Ireland.

He played in an underage friendly, U19 as far as I remember. Anyone can play underage friendlies, literally there is no binding requirement regarding nationality or even age, they're essentially meaningless from a FIFA perspective. The nations themselves govern the criteria by which the players play
    Last edited by elatedscum; 02/08/2019 at 2:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Looks like his ma has her heart set on him pulling on the green.I suspect she’ll get her way.Bit bizarre by Luxemburg, are they trying to get him to play for them under duress?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    My grasp of the eligibility rules isn't as firm as it was, but I suspect we may miss out here. I think it hinges on whether his mother was born in Ireland or not. I thought she was, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, can someone clarify which Irish underage games Ryan played in?
    She wasn't. She was raised here though. Her parents were born here. I don't get why that makes a difference?

His mother has obtained some advice from a legal friend of hers, per the video I linked, and they reckon it will be fine. It's a hurdle. Once the FAI don't trip over the thing.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    And why does it matter if his mother was born here or not? She is probably eligible through her parents as well as through residency for an Irish passport. Why do these distinctions worry you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    And why does it matter if his mother was born here or not? She is probably eligible through her parents as well as through residency for an Irish passport. Why do these distinctions worry you?
    Because according to Ryan's father, his citizenship was acquired through his grandfather.
    Last edited by The Fly; 02/08/2019 at 3:31 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bA6ODJYxYnY
    Irish Football Fan TV have spoken to his mother and she says Ireland is his first choice, they just require FIFA clearance.
    Once he said "Ryan's father wants him to play for Ireland, we were in trouble there" his father is Swedish lads

TBH I think he has changed his mind and is playing off this so called "technical issue" with FIFA, of course he qualifies his grandparents are Irish like every second player we have.
    Luxembourg have zero to gain by "ratting" on us, he will just play for Sweden if not us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Once he said "Ryan's father wants him to play for Ireland, we were in trouble there" his father is Swedish lads

TBH I think he has changed his mind and is playing off this so called "technical issue" with FIFA, of course he qualifies his grandparents are Irish like every second player we have.
    Luxembourg have zero to gain by "ratting" on us, he will just play for Sweden if not us
    Don't rush to judgment Diggs. This isn't a Rice/Grealish type situation.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-38369113.html

There is some right negative responses here. We are all scarred I suppose.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Don't rush to judgment Diggs. This isn't a Rice/Grealish type situation.
    My God =, I hope Im wrong but its hard to get past this comment from Ryan

“However, I had a Swedish passport before I was 15. So, I would love to play for Sweden. It is one of the countries I come from, I have lots of relatives there. So ... I won't be sorry if I can't play for Ireland. It's a win-win for me.”

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts

“However, I had a Swedish passport before I was 15. So, I would love to play for Sweden. It is one of the countries I come from, I have lots of relatives there. So ... I won't be sorry if I can't play for Ireland. It's a win-win for me.”
    He is speaking to a Swedish newspaper. He is lining up a fallback option. He has a parent from each and he has selected us. We clearly shade it. And it's understandable that Sweden is a good fallback for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts

Yes, but this kid's national affinities are naturally diverse. After all he was born in Luxembourg, to an Irish mother (although born in England it seems) and a Swedish father.

And don't forget the most important point - he has already declared for Ireland.
    Last edited by The Fly; 02/08/2019 at 4:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-38369113.html

There is some right negative responses here. We are all scarred I suppose.
    It's all about the rules in this case.

Fingers crossed that something can be sorted out.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Also, is it co-incidental that the lad himself has shed light on the complications whilst there is a buzz about his pre-season appearances for Bayern? The FAI are most certainly mobilised now to get this sorted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    She wasn't. She was raised here though. Her parents were born here. I don't get why that makes a difference?
    The difference is that if you were born outside Ireland and either of your parents was an Irish citizen who was born in Ireland, then you are automatically an Irish citizen.

However if you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was born outside Ireland, then you are entitled to become an Irish citizen. Your citizenship is therefore acquired and not automatic.
    Last edited by The Fly; 02/08/2019 at 4:00 PM.

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    I get that. I don't get it's impact on this. Plenty others have played underage for other sides before having to acquire citizenship to play for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    I get that. I don't get it's impact on this. Plenty others have played underage for other sides before having to acquire citizenship to play for us.
    I'm not exactly sure. As I said previously my grasp of the eligibility rules isn't as firm as it was so I'd have to read up on them again.

Do we know for sure that those other players were registered on the Foreign Births Register after playing underage games for other sides? Also, where they competitive games or friendlies?