Page 335 of 387 FirstFirst ... 235285325333334335336337345385 ... LastLast
Results 6,681 to 6,700 of 7722

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    I thought the inclusion of the Aviva in all it's bedpan glory was a bit naff.
    And is that picture of the boys in the boat supposed to represent the Giants Causeway (either on steroids or when there was less water to go around)?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Apart from the fact that the words come from the 19th amendment to the constitution, what exactly is the 'birthright and entitlement of every person born in the island of Ireland'....beyond a vague right to 'be part of the Irish Nation'?

The 27 amendment to the consitution made something of a lie of that, or am I missing something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrocket View Post
    And is that picture of the boys in the boat supposed to represent the Giants Causeway (either on steroids or when there was less water to go around)?
    I was wondering that myself but assumed it was a depiction of men out in a currach. Men of Aran, perhaps? The hexagonal rocks of the Giant's Causeway aren't actually as tall, steep and sharp as those in the print; even the ones on steroids!

Can anyone shed any light?

Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Apart from the fact that the words come from the 19th amendment to the constitution, what exactly is the 'birthright and entitlement of every person born in the island of Ireland'....beyond a vague right to 'be part of the Irish Nation'?

The 27 amendment to the consitution made something of a lie of that, or am I missing something?
    No, you're completely right, which was my point and why I found the inclusion interesting. GR is always quick to correct anyone who commits the foul of repeating or paraphrasing the age-old stock line for the sake of brevity in argument. It always tickles me, but he is technically correct.

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts

Birthright is much more than a vague right, it a right bestowed upon by virtue of place of birth.
    This birthright refers specifically to irish nationality and the 27th amendment to the constitution did not make a lie out of that, but merely added a condition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    The Skelligs maybe? World Heritage Site and all that.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts

No, you're completely right, which was my point and why I found the inclusion interesting. GR is always quick to correct anyone who commits the foul of repeating or paraphrasing the age-old stock line for the sake of brevity in argument. It always tickles me, but he is technically correct.
    Do you (or anybody else) know when this was added to the passport design? It seems like the kind of thing that would have been added in 1999, and removed in 2004 (unless it would be decided to put an asterisk or some other symbol to note that such birthright was now conditional).

Seems strange to design a passport with such a piece of text, in the knowledge that the text is now somewhat misleading, or does not give the full picture.

So I'm wondering when that became part of the design.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    GR is always quick to correct anyone...paraphrasing the age-old stock line for the sake of brevity in argument
    That's the problem Danny. Your brief, snappy soundbites just don't cover all the details

It may be the resolution on my old laptop, but the map in yer passport looks a bit odd. The Shannon seems to be flowing two ways, both South through Limerick and North into the Erne?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    That's the problem Danny. Your brief, snappy soundbites just don't cover all the details

It may be the resolution on my old laptop, but the map in yer passport looks a bit odd. The Shannon seems to be flowing two ways, both South through Limerick and North into the Erne?
    There's a canal don'tcha know http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon...3Erne_Waterway

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I was wondering that myself but assumed it was a depiction of men out in a currach. Men of Aran, perhaps? The hexagonal rocks of the Giant's Causeway aren't actually as tall, steep and sharp as those in the print; even the ones on steroids!

Can anyone shed any light?
    It's the Skelligs.

Anyone who has ever seen the (tiny) Giants Causeway in real life could never confuse it with that image.

On the left-hand outcrop of the passport illustration you can make out the spiraling pathway snaking up the side.

Do you (or anybody else) know when this was added to the passport design? It seems like the kind of thing that would have been added in 1999, and removed in 2004 (unless it would be decided to put an asterisk or some other symbol to note that such birthright was now conditional).

Seems strange to design a passport with such a piece of text, in the knowledge that the text is now somewhat misleading, or does not give the full picture.

So I'm wondering when that became part of the design.
    I got one of the new-fangled biometric passports in 2009 and it was the same design in essence on the visa pages as all of the previous versions of the "burgundy" passports. Same as my EC one from 1996 and my other from 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Sure, the Shannon and the Erne have been confused for an age. The etymology of Ballyshannon would indicate as much. The same warrior and/or Celtic goddess could well be convenient disguises for this error.

---

Any thoughts on the new passport card whilst we're at it?

https://www.dfa.ie/news-and-media/pr...passport-card/
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

12. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    No way that woman is 26.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    901 Posts
    Has nobody in the Passport Office heard of Georgia Salpa?
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I got one of the new-fangled biometric passports in 2009 and it was the same design in essence on the visa pages as all of the previous versions of the "burgundy" passports. Same as my EC one from 1996 and my other from 2003.
    My old one was valid from July of 2005, but I don't recall the constitutional passage being on it. In saying that, I didn't look at it all that closely when I last had it and it is now back in Ireland, so I might have completely missed it all this time. The novelty of a new one sparked my curiosity as to what was actually contained on those inner pages, so I suppose I took greater stock of what's in the new one. Do you mean that the "birthright and entitlement" passage has been on passports since at least 2003 then?

The present passport design was introduced in October of 2013.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's not on my 2012 passport.

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    The old hardback green one was a true flexible friend. The pages were sewn together with thread. If you had a page with a black mark to get rid of, or needed a page with a visa, you could replace a double fold page with a suitable one (with the right number) from another passport,sew it back together again and glue on the cover. It could look a few degrees more shoddy, but still within the realms of innocent wear and tear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Was just looking at the new passport yesterday. Very classy indeed. Like the inclusion of Ulster Scots as well as nice sprinkling of verse in English and as Gaeilge and nice illustrations of Aviva Stadium, GAA, Aileach's Grianán etc.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    My old one was valid from July of 2005, but I don't recall the constitutional passage being on it. In saying that, I didn't look at it all that closely when I last had it and it is now back in Ireland, so I might have completely missed it all this time. The novelty of a new one sparked my curiosity as to what was actually contained on those inner pages, so I suppose I took greater stock of what's in the new one. Do you mean that the "birthright and entitlement" passage has been on passports since at least 2003 then?

The present passport design was introduced in October of 2013.
    That might not have been clear. It's not on any older design.

The design of the pre-2013 edition has remained the same since the EC change over. ie. My 1996 (EC), 2003 (EU) and 2009 (EU-biometric) are all the same design inside. Bar the photo page and the addition of certain other European languages to the passport since EC-12.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    An interesting piece by Malachy Clerkin on the origin and reception of 'Ireland's Call': http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...ears-1.2085759

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    What are the chances of Ireland's Call being used if Rory McIllroy wins gold in Rio?

I'm not mad about the song but it serves it's purpose I suppose. Sung passionately by supporters it just about gets away with it, maybe. Coulter was never the greatest lyricist from my fairly limited knowledge of him. This line out of The Town I Loved So Well always grated on me!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Coulter - The Town I Loved So Well
    while the men on the dole played a mother's role, fed the children and then trained the dogs

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    In derryspeak that probably just means taking the dog for a walk.

The TILSW is quite simply an Irish ballad masterpiece and it has a sentiment that can travel and be deeply appreciated in any corner of the globe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah because in some versions they actually say "walk the dogs". I think it's a terrible line either way. I quite like the song otherwise.