Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 331 of 387 FirstFirst ... 231281321329330331332333341381 ... LastLast
Results 6,601 to 6,620 of 7722

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    an early version of this article - http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...-30556184.html - included the lines
    Aiden, now 28, attempted to have his first born in Ireland so he could follow in his footsteps. His second and third children were both born in Russia so none of his children, should they have the talent, will be eligible for Ireland.
    which isn't true, they would only be ineligible if they were born before he got his Irish citizenship, so they are eligible
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Provided he places them in the foreign births register before ethey reach 18.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    an early version of this article - http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...-30556184.html - included the lines
    Aiden, now 28, attempted to have his first born in Ireland so he could follow in his footsteps. His second and third children were both born in Russia so none of his children, should they have the talent, will be eligible for Ireland.

which isn't true, they would only be ineligible if they were born before he got his Irish citizenship, so they are eligible
    I think the article has it correct.
    Irish nationality is not enough on its own to qualify McGeady's children for Ireland.
    If they were born outside Ireland, then they have to qualify under the criteria of article 7 and they only have Irish born great grandparents.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    And I want 3 get-out-of-jail-scot-free cards for this clean-up job of a deliberate misinformation sabotage in the eligibility thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    The issue is acquiring the Nationality through residency after 18.

They'll acquire it without residency provided Aiden does the paperwork. Shouldn't be an issue.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I think the article has it correct.
    Irish nationality is not enough on its own to qualify McGeady's children for Ireland.
    If they were born outside Ireland, then they have to qualify under the criteria of article 7 and they only have Irish born great grandparents.
    That is one valid point that I can draw with this waffle from Ally Ross.
    http://greenscene.me/2011/01/trapatt...thy-in-quotes/
    Hell mend them both, because the fact is playing careers are very short. Once that is over, and assuming he doesn’t go to live in Ireland (these football converts never do) he will be a stranger in his own land. His world has just shrunk. And not just in terms of the millions of Scotland fans who will no longer smile in his direction. Commercially he’s a bad lot
    McGeady's old man was on the books of Sheffield United himself for a spell but his career was cut short. Fair to say football is in the genes there.

It's an interesting one though. If McGeady is the last of his family tree that can declare for Ireland without being born here then the next generation wouldn't be eligible.

Not sure if I'm too late on this one but somebody should tell McCarthy to make sure his partner arranges a birth here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    And what of England's current great white hope, Raheem Sterling, who was born in Jamaica? I doubt Sky mention that inconvenient truth.
    I think most viewers get that one already.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    The issue is acquiring the Nationality through residency after 18.

They'll acquire it without residency provided Aiden does the paperwork. Shouldn't be an issue.
    The issue is eligibility to play for Ireland, for an irish national who has acquired his nationality through descent. I say the criteria of article 7 applies.
    Under that criteria, they don't qualify unless they spend at least 5 years in residence > age 18.

Only one exception afaiaa,
    should McGeady moves to ireland with his children and they grow up here or his children come here to take up residence and go to school here for some years before the age of 18 , then that goes a long way for them to be regarded by FIFA, as article 5 eligible.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    OK, so the Sky Sports tweet mentioned earlier on seemed to be implying that half the Irish team are only choosing to pull on the green shirt as some sort of "jersey of convenience" and have a very limited emotional connection to the country - so let's have a quick look at the ten players born outside the island of Ireland (a good opportunity, also, for an overall "gut-check" on the part of us all):

1. Aiden McGeady - grandparents from the Gaeltacht; singled out by Rangers fans for particular abuse in the anti-Irish "Famine Song"; wanted to have an Irish-born child so they could play for us
    2. James McCarthy - fulfilling pledge to dying grandfather (as I understand it); has come through the underage system with us; rebuffed a number of attempts to get him to switch allegiance
    3. Ciaran Clark - Mother/both parents are Irish; switched from England set-up at the age of 21 when it could be considered that he was still a good prospect for their senior team
    4. Richard Keogh - Referred to captaining the team (in a friendly against Oman!) as "the proudest moment of my career by a long way"; has lobbied for inclusion in the squad so openly and enthusiastically that TOWK considers it unseemly.
    5. David McGoldrick - Brought up in Irish household; wanted to play for us but thought he was ineligible due to being adopted before actively researching his bloodline to find a connection; in the interview on his own thread mentions that he always got Irish players' signatures on his programmes as a kid; in the same interview gets a wee bit emotional when talking about his happiness at his paperwork finally coming through; turned down Scotland.
    6. Jonathan Walters - Irish mother, who sadly passed away when he was young
    7. Alex Pearce - said "The country I have always wanted to play for is Ireland."
    8. Rob Elliot - Family from People's Republic of Cork; said “We have always been cricket England and football Ireland in my family"; played underage for us; enthusiastic about being part of the squad even though he realises that we've "got three top keepers – and one of them is my best friend in football – Darren Randolph, so I can’t really complain.”
    9. & 10. Anthony Pilkington & Cyrus Christie - OK so these two lads would probably be considered clear "granny-rulers" - one Irish grandparent each and haven't expressed any particular emotional connection to Ireland prior to call-up. But they would probably pass the Clinton Morrison granny-ruler gut test as laid out Clinton in a recent RTE interview, when asked about the Mark Noble issue: They were asked to commit at a point in their respective careers when they could have held out reasonable hope of future involvement for England, they considered it and got on board without messing us about. Also, three words: Lawrenson, Aldridge, Townsend.

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    OK, so the Sky Sports tweet mentioned earlier on seemed to be implying that half the Irish team are only choosing to pull on the green shirt as some sort of "jersey of convenience" and have a very limited emotional connection to the country - so let's have a quick look at the ten players born outside the island of Ireland (a good opportunity, also, for an overall "gut-check" on the part of us all):

1. Aiden McGeady - grandparents from the Gaeltacht; singled out by Rangers fans for particular abuse in the anti-Irish "Famine Song"; wanted to have an Irish-born child so they could play for us
    2. James McCarthy - fulfilling pledge to dying grandfather (as I understand it); has come through the underage system with us; rebuffed a number of attempts to get him to switch allegiance
    3. Ciaran Clark - Mother/both parents are Irish; switched from England set-up at the age of 21 when it could be considered that he was still a good prospect for their senior team
    4. Richard Keogh - Referred to captaining the team (in a friendly against Oman!) as "the proudest moment of my career by a long way"; has lobbied for inclusion in the squad so openly and enthusiastically that TOWK considers it unseemly.
    5. David McGoldrick - Brought up in Irish household; wanted to play for us but thought he was ineligible due to being adopted before actively researching his bloodline to find a connection; in the interview on his own thread mentions that he always got Irish players' signatures on his programmes as a kid; in the same interview gets a wee bit emotional when talking about his happiness at his paperwork finally coming through; turned down Scotland.
    7. Alex Pearce - said "The country I have always wanted to play for is Ireland."
    8. Rob Elliot - Family from People's Republic of Cork; said “We have always been cricket England and football Ireland in my family"; played underage for us; enthusiastic about being part of the squad even though he realises that we've "got three top keepers – and one of them is my best friend in football – Darren Randolph, so I can’t really complain.”
    9. & 10. Anthony Pilkington & Cyrus Christie - OK so these two lads would probably be considered clear "granny-rulers" - one Irish grandparent each and haven't expressed any particular emotional connection to Ireland prior to call-up. But they would probably pass the Clinton Morrison granny-ruler gut test as laid out Clinton in a recent RTE interview, when asked about the Mark Noble issue: They were asked to commit at a point in their respective careers when they could have held out reasonable hope of future involvement for England, they considered it and got on board without messing us about. Also, three words: Lawrenson, Aldridge, Townsend.

And you think that makes it okay? How dare they not show allegiance to Engerland, that wonderful footballing nation? It is really hard to get good objective commentary these days and you Sammy have shown more objectivity and understanding than some Sky tw#t.
    Well done!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    I'd add Kilbane to that wee list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    john aldridge always strongly defends his Irish links on twitter and obviously still considers Ireland his team.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrocket View Post
    I'd add Kilbane to that wee list.
    Ah Jaysus, is he back in the squad? A useless, lumbering, one trick...oh, wait, we love him now

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts

Walters played for us at U21 level, before dropping down the divisions to play regular football.
    Pilkington played U19 football for us too, took his time confirming his allegiance to the senior squad though.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    OK,. Also, three words: Lawrenson, Aldridge, Townsend.
    I think if any of those three had been approached by England before Ireland, they would have chosen England. Let's face it, most footballers are mercenaries.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    In this interview here, Keogh explains his father was born and bred in County Carlow before emigrating and that declaring for us was a 'no-brainer' (in all respect, he probably wasn't sought after by England, slightly different situation to Clark):
    http://www.thescore.ie/richard-keogh...77259-Nov2014/

That David McGoldrick one is an awesome story, as far as I can see. (I'll try and be very sensitive here, it's a tricky one) But he was adopted by a family who, as far as I know, are quite Irish. By deduction, it's likely he stood out from the rest of his family in terms of his race. The fact that he thought that he couldn't declare for Ireland probably added to any distinction that may have existed or have been perceived. As an aside, it's interesting to note that he and Leon Best came up through the ranks at Notts County- someone who had an Irish upbringing (Irish mother, time spent here) and played up front. Envious, surely.

Then, he gets in touch with his birth parent and, lo and behold, he does indeed have a Irish 'blood' coarsing through him. Great stuff.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 13/11/2014 at 11:48 AM.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Whatever about other doubts (minor, but there nonetheless and I personally think exaggerated by TOWK) I don't think anyone's gut would rumble at Keogh's "Irishness".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I must say (off topic) that it is a pleasure to be on a forum where people write and spell well.
    Have been looking through comments on Irish team on Score.ie and I actually leave it in bad form with the morons and their ill-formed and badly worded opinions.

Back to topic, I really wish Keogh well (especially now that I live in Carlow). He seems like a good honest player.
    I felt his concentration lapsed at times in the past for us but if one part of our game has improved under O'Neill, it has been our defensive concentration.
    Although, at the start of Trap's tenure, that was also a notable element of our style
    Last edited by Fixer82; 13/11/2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: bad spelling. D'oh!!
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    john aldridge always strongly defends his Irish links on twitter and obviously still considers Ireland his team.
    He did it again on OTB last night.

As regards them picking England over us, they didn't so forget about it. Can we complain about any of them in an Irish shirt?

Aldridge, McGrath and Keane were my favourite players growing up sure. Heart wasn't wanting at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I will put it this way.

The last thing I want after a performance like his performance against Portugal is for him to go to the media (AGAIN) and wax lyrical about what a fantastic team they are - which they aren't, they regularly struggle to break down teams like Liechtenstein - and completely deflect attention away from, and ignore, how poor his own performance was.

I think the lad needs to do his talking on the pitch. He is a squad player. IDK why he is doing so much media time for Ireland. He's vocal about wanting to be in the team to the point where he was talking as if he was starting against Scotland several days ago. I get it. Everyone wants to be in the team not just him.

I know I'm fighting a losing battle with this one, which I completely understand this time. I am simply baffled as to why there is always several media interviews with him before and after every single game; more than O'Shea, Clark & Pearce put together.