Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 201 of 387 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251301 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,020 of 7734

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Cheers for the clarification. I'll try and add a postscript, unless you'd like to add a comment yourself? Given the context - you'd mentioned the IFA possibly approaching FIFA in the previous sentence and nothing about a small group of supporters approaching the IFA - I'd assumed we were talking about elements within the IFA. I hope you didn't mind me writing about your comments, by the way; they were in the public domain anyway.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Cheers for the clarification. I'll try and add a postscript, unless you'd like to add a comment yourself? Given the context - you'd mentioned the IFA possibly approaching FIFA in the previous sentence and nothing about a small group of supporters approaching the IFA - I'd assumed we were talking about elements within the IFA. I hope you didn't mind me writing about your comments, by the way; they were in the public domain anyway.

I'll skip commenting on the Blog DI.

I appreciate, on reflection, that my original comments could be interpreted in different ways - but assumptions are no basis for factual assertion or exaggeration.

I've no issues with you writing about my comments, just so long as they're not passed off as some sort of definative authority on IFA thinking - I no longer have any formal dealings with the IFA, and haven't had for approaching 2 years. In a previous life I was the link between the AONISC and the IFA Community Relations Dept. Prior to that, merely as an "interested party", I got involved in helping the Community Relations Department in various aspects of their "Football For All" Campaign....presentations and the like to a wide range of people. Through this work, I would consider Michael Boyd, Head of Community Relations at the IFA, to be someone I have the utmost respect for and whom I am proud to call a friend.

I don't know exactly what others think about the eligibility issue at Windsor Avenue, but I do know that Michael fully understands the impact on his role that trying to deny Northern Ireland born Nationalists/Republicans the choice to play for the Republic Of Ireland has had.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Clarifying postscript added.

It's not my old pal, G-Mac, who's entertaining this proposal then, is it?

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I'm just going to post the lyrics of the Serbian national anthem to make it slightly more clear as to what his objections are. I suppose one distinction that can be drawn between the two scenarios is that Ljajic is objecting on religious grounds, while someone like McClean is objecting on the grounds that he does not feel the need to pay homage to the Queen of the United Kingdom.
    I might be wrong, but at least i've never heard of any discord thrown in the way of nationalist players who don't feel inspired to sing GSTQ when lining out for NI, even those players who hang their heads and look at the ground throughout the anthem are not singled out for any adverse comment. Much as we might remark upon the aspect of the GSTQ anthem for a dual national statelet, there's still a tolerance for what could be perceived as utter disrespect.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    That's a fact Geysir and fair comment.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    It's not my old pal, G-Mac, who's entertaining this proposal then, is it?
    Absolutely not.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I might be wrong, but at least i've never heard of any discord thrown in the way of nationalist players who don't feel inspired to sing GSTQ when lining out for NI, even those players who hang their heads and look at the ground throughout the anthem are not singled out for any adverse comment. Much as we might remark upon the aspect of the GSTQ anthem for a dual national statelet, there's still a tolerance for what could be perceived as utter disrespect.
    Heh, if they did, that really would be the old line about having your cake....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I think that's accurate.

Have a read at this article, on the other hand, and in particular the comments of PSF MLA, Barry McElduff.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...62.html?via=mr

Is the 'bugbear' for Nationalists:

A/ That players from a Northern Irish Unionist background should have to be subjected to the National Anthem of the Republic Of Ireland when representing Ireland at rugby?

Or

B/ That players from a Northern Irish Unionist background don't join in the singing of the
    National Anthem of The Republic Of Ireland?

If the answer is A, are PSF and other Nationalists lobbying the IRFU to dispense with the ROI National Anthem at Ireland matches?

If the answer is B, that makes Bazza and his comrades blatant hypocrites on the issue of
    Anthems.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Except if you read the article McElduff barely mentions it. Talk about quoting out of context of the rest of the article which is conciliatory in its nature, including the material from McElduff
    You're making a mountain out of a molehill on this one!

Also, once again, if you're going to talk about political parties, at least give them the correct name, otherwise it makes you look like a 'blatant hypocrite', or has that particular penny not dropped...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    I think that's accurate.

Have a read at this article, on the other hand, and in particular the comments of PSF MLA, Barry McElduff.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...62.html?via=mr

Is the 'bugbear' for Nationalists:

A/ That players from a Northern Irish Unionist background should have to be subjected to the National Anthem of the Republic Of Ireland when representing Ireland at rugby?

Or

B/ That players from a Northern Irish Unionist background don't join in the singing of the
    National Anthem of The Republic Of Ireland?

If the answer is A, are PSF and other Nationalists lobbying the IRFU to dispense with the ROI National Anthem at Ireland matches?

If the answer is B, that makes Bazza and his comrades blatant hypocrites on the issue of
    Anthems.
    I don't concur with your interpretation of the quotes attributed to McElduff.
    You will note that he is not quoted as saying 'there is still one bugbear for nationalists.'

He is quoted as saying
    “There is still an issue with national anthems,” he says. “It is noticeable the Ulster contingent tend not to sing the national anthem when they are playing for Ireland. That is a personal observation but I have heard many people remark on the same thing.”
    McElduff does not state that this is a bugbear for nationalists, just that there is an issue with national anthems.

And as McElduff has stated that “The way ahead is to follow the example of rugby, cricket and other sports with an all-Ireland team.” I would conclude that McElduff's vision of the way ahead is to use a neutral anthem for sports like Ireland's Call. And the interpretation that he considers the Unionist contingent not singing AnbF is a bugbear for nationalists, is way off the mark.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Well yeah, pretty much what I said. Paranoid does not even cover it, yet doubtless they'll pretend they're not.
    And then say we are for pointing it out!

Go figure...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    And as McElduff has stated that “The way ahead is to follow the example of rugby, cricket and other sports with an all-Ireland team.” I would conclude that McElduff's vision of the way ahead is to use a neutral anthem for sports like Ireland's Call. And the interpretation that he considers the Unionist contingent not singing AnbF is a bugbear for nationalists, is way off the mark.
    Well apart from the hypocrisy of him wishing to deny players choice, I'll maybe pop him an email asking what PSF are doing viz a viz lobbying the IRFU to dispense with Amhrán na bhFiann at Ireland rugby matches

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Yes, of course. That's exactly what he said.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Well apart from the hypocrisy of him wishing to deny players choice, I'll maybe pop him an email asking what PSF are doing viz a viz lobbying the IRFU to dispense with Amhrán na bhFiann at Ireland rugby matches
    If your perceived hypocrisy of McElduff is your bugbear, then I suppose you are welcome to pop him an email and find out.

Do I take it that you understand that your previous perceptions of McElduff's alleged 'bugbear for nationalists' in relation to Ulster players not singing AnbF, was off the mark?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Do I take it that you understand that your previous perceptions of McElduff's alleged 'bugbear for nationalists' in relation to Ulster players not singing AnbF, was off the mark?
    The article states:

"McElduff believes, however, there is still one bugbear for nationalists"

What, exactly, does McElduff believe is "a bugbear for nationalists"?

Is it:

Or

B/ That players from a Northern Irish Unionist background don't join in the singing of the National Anthem of The Republic Of Ireland?

That is not an "interpretation that he considers the Unionist contingent not singing AnbF is a bugbear for nationalists" - it's a question.

Your interpretation of his comments does not answer the question.

A or B?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    The questions you pose depend upon your faulty interpretation, therefore the questions are redundant.
    What the journalist interprets from McElduff is that there is one bugbear for nationalists and then goes onto quote McElduff.
    But what McElduff actually states is that anthems are an issue and not just for nationalists.

This is not unlike an interpretation of my position by you recently which was faulty, rendering the follow-up questions redundant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    The questions you pose depend upon your faulty interpretation, therefore the questions are redundant.
    What the journalist interprets from McElduff is that there is one bugbear for nationalists and then goes onto quote McElduff.
    But what McElduff actually states is that anthems are an issue and not just for nationalists.

This is not unlike an interpretation of my position by you recently which was faulty, rendering the follow-up questions redundant
    Sorry, such sophistry on your part doesn't cut the mustard, mo chara.

What is this "one bugbear for nationalists", in relation to National Anthems, that McElduff believes?

It's either A or B.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    McElduff doesn't expressly state the issue is a bugbear for nationalists. In saying that, I'm not sure whether the answer to your question is A or B either. I've tweeted him asking for clarification. Maybe he'll reply.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Sorry, such sophistry on your part doesn't cut the mustard, mo chara.

What is this "one bugbear for nationalists", in relation to National Anthems, that McElduff believes?

It's either A or B.
    That is not a quote from McElduff. We have no idea where that came from and it's foolish to focus on a line that a journalist wrote.

McElduff speaks for himself and what we can interpret is the quote that the journalist used to support that supposed McElduff assertion.
    The answers to what McElduff believes is contained in his quote, the very same quote the journalist used.

And when we examine that quote, McElduff clearly states “There is still an issue with national anthems,”
    Anthems plural. Implies both nationalist and unionists have issues with anthems.
    Last edited by geysir; 31/05/2012 at 6:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    And when we examine that quote, McElduff clearly states “There is still an issue with national anthems,”
    Anthems plural. Implies both nationalist and unionists have issues with anthems.
    After stating that “There is still an issue with national anthems", McElduff then goes on to say:

“It is noticeable the Ulster contingent tend not to sing the national anthem when they are playing for Ireland. That is a personal observation but I have heard many people remark on the same thing.”

Well, 10 out of 10 for observation, but what is the problem with it? Is it A or B?

Why is it remarkable that "many people" have remarked that "the Ulster contingent tend not to sing the national anthem when they are playing for Ireland"?

What does he mean by "the" National Anthem? I take it he's aware that AnbF is not the National Anthem of the Ireland rugby team?

AnbF is not, and never will be the National anthem of many players who have represented, do represent and will in future represent Ireland at rugby.

Those with issues about GSTQ being played at Northern Ireland football matches must have similar issues with AnbF being played at Ireland rugby matches - otherwise they stink the place out with their double standards.
    Last edited by Not Brazil; 31/05/2012 at 7:15 PM.