Results 3,181 to 3,200 of 7734

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    I've read elsewhere he played U23 level in 2008.
    He played 4 or 5 times in the 2nd round of Asian qualifying for the Beijing olympics. The olympics were in 2008, but I don't think he played for them since 2007.

Also, with fine timing, I was watching the weekly football round-up on J-sky sports about 5 minutes ago, and Michael O'Neill's face popped up, followed by a picture of Cullen's, along with an English language headline related to O'Neill's plans to contact him (from some newspaper / website I imagine) and a Japanese translation.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Derry heirs, an Indo article on the Derry brethern vying for a place in the squad.

'Never mind the obvious fact that if it wasn't for a change in FIFA's eligibility rules the ex-Northern Ireland underage internationals could have been preparing for a match in Windsor Park tomorrow.'

"obvious fact" indeed
    The only obvious fact arising from that sentence is that the journalist is impervious to comprehending FIFA's eligibility rules.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Derry heirs, an Indo article on the Derry brethern vying for a place in the squad.

'Never mind the obvious fact that if it wasn't for a change in FIFA's eligibility rules the ex-Northern Ireland underage internationals could have been preparing for a match in Windsor Park tomorrow.'

"obvious fact" indeed
    The only obvious fact arising from that sentence is that the journalist is impervious to comprehending FIFA's eligibility rules.
    I think he's referring to the rule changes in 04 and in 09, without which Duffy and McClean would of been tied to NI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Gah!!!

http://rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/0228...s_ireland.html

Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ
    Both Duffy and McClean were born in Northern Ireland, but have opted to play for the Republic under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement, although their respective decisions have attracted abuse from some. Duffy said: "You get it every day - I get it every day. It's just one of those things I have learned and one of those things you move on from. "It's the best decision I have made in my career. I'm not being disrespectful to Northern Ireland, but playing for the Republic of Ireland, it's my country and I am proud to play for it, honoured even to be picked for the squad, so I can't ask any more."
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    I think he's referring to the rule changes in 04 and in 09, without which Duffy and McClean would of been tied to NI.
    The only rule change (since Jan 2004) was made in 2009, removing the age limit for dual nationals to switch associations.

Duffy was a teenager when he declared for the FAI, there was no rule existing at anytime < 2012 to stop him declaring for the FAI.
    McClean was 20 years old when the age limit was removed, so who can say for definite what McClean would have decided before his 21st birthday had the age limit not been lifted?

The substantial change in 2004, annex 901 criteria, did not apply to Nordies

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    The only rule change (since Jan 2004) was made in 2009, removing the age limit for dual nationals to switch associations.

Duffy was a teenager when he declared for the FAI, there was no rule existing at anytime < 2012 to stop him declaring for the FAI.
    McClean was 20 years old when the age limit was removed, so who can say for definite what McClean would have decided before his 21st birthday had the age limit not been lifted?

The substantial change in 2004, annex 901 criteria, did not apply to Nordies
    Fair enough, I'm just saying that without the rule change in Jan 04, "ex-Northern Ireland underage internationals" couldn't have appeared for the Republic of Ireland, so the Indo article isn't all that ridiculous.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Fair enough, I'm just saying that without the rule change in Jan 04, "ex-Northern Ireland underage internationals" couldn't have appeared for the Republic of Ireland, so the Indo article isn't all that ridiculous.
    Before the rule change in 2004, they were eligible
    You can say with absolute certainty that for all their football life, they were eligible to declare for the FAI.
    I seriously doubt that the journo was referring to a FIFA rule change in Jan 2004, before Shane Duffy wore long trousers.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Before the rule change in 2004, they were eligible
    You can say with absolute certainty that for all their football life, they were eligible to declare for the FAI.
    I seriously doubt that the journo was referring to a FIFA rule change in Jan 2004, before Shane Duffy wore long trousers.
    I think you missed the point of the article.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    I don't believe the point of the article was referring to the rule change in Jan 2004.
    In the unlikely event that it was the point, then one could say "if FIFA didn't have eligibility rules which allow dual nationals to switch, Duffy and McClean would still (in all probability) be playing for the IFA"
    but that would read even more mundane than the next 'what if' used in the article.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Exactly the point of the article was a sliding door analogy, where in an alternate universe, both McClean and Duffy might not of been playing for ROI tomorrow. He even says to ignore the fact that if it weren't for eligibility changes the ex NI internationals could of be lining up in Windsor Park

You criticised this by saying it was obvious it showed the author is "is impervious to comprehending FIFA's eligibility rules."
    I don't think there's anything in the article about hypothetical alternate universes that can make you deduce that.
    That's all I'm saying. You were a little harsh on him.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I'm all for e-mailing them for better clarification. This one has me puzzled somewhat as a literal interpretation of article 8 would appear to conflict with what was said in the e-mail they sent back to Joe.
    I emailed FIFA on 13th February.

I received a reply, of sorts, today.

They have requested that I send a signed
    letter or fax to their Legal Department from them to respond to my queries re: changing Association.

I will send a letter to them before the end of the week, and will post their response, once received.
    Last edited by Not Brazil; 28/02/2012 at 9:52 PM.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    For anyone that missed it. Prime Time had a piece on the eligibility issue tonight. Should be up on the RTE player.
    I haven't watched it yet so can't comment on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Fine tooth combs at the ready.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Fairly short piece. It boils down to "cultural comfort" according to Eamo. Noel King in very bullish mood. The bit where he tossed the RTE interviewer high into the air was especially exciting and really, it served him right for dressing so flamboyantly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    It's on RTÉ Player now for anyone who missed it (starts on 27 minutes): http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1138171

Have yet to watch it yet but reading negative reports via Twitter. The blog here doesn't fill me with too much hope either: http://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/

The Good Friday Agreement meant that anyone born Northern Ireland could, if they so wished, become a citizen of either Northern Ireland or the Republic. Tying into that, a clause contained within FIFA rules allows players to change their footballing nationality once before they play a senior competitive match, if they were born "on the territory of the relevant association". The upshot was that the professional footballers of the six counties now had a choice when it came to declaring their international allegiance.
    FIFA have ruled that the holding an Irish passport is good enough grounds for declaration so there is no end in sight to what has become a contentious issue.
    Famous recent cases include James McClean and Darron Gibson of Sunderland but the concern is that players’ heads are being turned at an even younger age. The obvious downside is that Northern Ireland are being deprived of a plethora of talented youngsters, ensuring that their team is representative of only one side of the community.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Just watched it there. Not sure why RTÉ are giving this air-time in the first place given there is no ongoing "feud" between the FAI and IFA. The IFA have officially accepted and acknowledged the right of Irish nationals to declare for the FAI. However, as RTÉ/Ian Kehoe decided to make an issue of it, they really could have done a bit of basic research before hand.

The reason a greater number of northern-born players are playing for the FAI nowadays, to my mind, is primarily due to FIFA's introduction of the allowance to switch association once before the age of 21 in 2004. Of course, the age-cap of 21 was lifted altogether in 2009. It meant that players who grew up within the IFA system and who had been playing for their teams from young ages were now able to switch to their preferred association upon maturing. When Martin O'Neill spoke of not having the choice to play for the FAI in his time a few weeks ago, he was either unaware of the fact he was always eligible to play for the FAI and could have declared for them originally before ever representing the IFA or he was referring to the absence of the post-2004 option to switch association once.

No idea where they got this nonsense: "FIFA say it's a special case arising from the Good Friday Agreement."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Prime Time brings the viewer in-depth analysis of current issues and topical reports every Tuesday and Thursday night at 9.35pm on RTÉ One. As a viewer one would expect an in-depth analysis on the eligibility issue would at least interview the three parties involved; the IFA, FAI and FIFA.

But no.

Note how the Prime Time seeks to give the illusion of doing the above. The report starts by stating (while walking around in Windsor Park) the IFA are increasingly concerned and believe their FAI counterparts are deliberately targeting and poaching players, but not one person from the IFA is interviewed or sourced. Why?

To follow up on this in-depth analysis and investigative insight, the "reporter" tells the viewer that FIFA say NI born can play for us as it is a special case arising from the Good Friday Agreement, but not one person from FIFA is interviewed or sourced. I suppose this is too much to ask of a self-styled "investigative journalist".

And to rub salt into the wound they interview Eamon on his couch, and stick a microphone under the nose of our current U21 manager to get the "FAI's" insights.

The issue is resolved by the CAS ruling, which is mentioned in the report, but evidently ignored for the purpose of prime time television.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Media 'sensationalism'? Surely not...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,104 Posts
    The reporter in that Prime Time piece offered a very interesting choice of words by stating that the Northern Irish players are "decamping" to the "south." It's fairly disappointing that the reporter failed to acknowledge the context of the current situation. Realistically, northern born players are met with two choices-FAI and IFA. They can either represent the 32 counties or represent Northern Ireland. There is no "decamping" taking place, rather there are players who are exercising a choice, as is their right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Ferguson Buries Defection Fears': http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/fo...ears-1-3581393

SHANE Ferguson has issued one final reassurance to Northern Ireland fans, permanently burying any outside chance of a defection to the Republic of Ireland.

The Newcastle United ace, who impressed in an advanced role for his country on Wednesday night, said starting for Northern Ireland in the World Cup 2014 qualifying campaign is weaved into his top aspirations.

“It would be a dream come true to start,” he said. “If it ever happened it would be brilliant.

“I loved every second of the game against Norway, even though I did have a niggly injury which I just had to be careful with.

“I enjoyed being further forward as I usually play in defence, but I am already looking forward to Holland.”

The 20-year old admits to having suffered from pre-match tension, conscious Northern Ireland fans would be scrutinising his talents, but the supporters only galvanised his enthusiasm.