Page 159 of 387 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169209259 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,180 of 7734

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Cullen is crap and the JFA haven't selected him in a long time, making it clear that he isn't what they're looking for. He has said himself that he wanted to represent Japan if the opportunity arose, but it is clear that it isn't going to arise.

Very very different from the situation of somebody like McClean, but it's no surprise that most posters on here aren't bothered about making any distinction.
    Last edited by osarusan; 21/02/2012 at 11:19 PM.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    And I notice they only want you to tick the one box.
    So 'British' or Irish...

Other

Didn't realise before this week that Pats new signing Darren Meenan was born in Drogheda but played U21 football for Northern Ireland
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Very very different from the situation of somebody like McClean, but it's no surprise that most posters on here aren't bothered about making any distinction.
    Pretty banterous stuff no? I think most posters don't give a monkeys who NI are looking to select, but pretty natural to have a giggle over this one given the torrent of hysterical nonsense chatted about northern born players heading south.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Other

Didn't realise before this week that Pats new signing Darren Meenan was born in Drogheda but played U21 football for Northern Ireland
    Eligible through parentage/grand-parentage presumably?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Other

Turncoat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Cullen is crap and the JFA haven't selected him in a long time, making it clear that he isn't what they're looking for. He has said himself that he wanted to represent Japan if the opportunity arose, but it is clear that it isn't going to arise.

I'm bothered if you wish to try and take your point further and expand on the apparent distinction. What do you have in mind exactly? Should a different set of rules or principles apply to the two respective cases? How do we distinguish between the two sets exactly? What about players like Lee Camp or Alex Bruce, for example? Which bracket do they slot into? Can anyone say for certainty that their original associations would never have entertained the idea of calling them up again? To the best of my knowledge, nobody from the FAI ever told Alex Bruce that he would be permanently surplus to requirements.

Besides, McClean, like all international footballers, is free to retire from playing for an association whenever he wishes. McClean did it earlier than most. If he happens to be eligible to play for another association, is that the business of the former association? Stephen Ireland did it at an early age. George McCartney similarly did it at a stage perceived by many NI fans to be "too early". Some fans don't take to it too well, but are players to be obligated to represent associations if they've featured for them before or what?

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Other

Why would any Irish or British person ever tick 'other' ?
    It's a response for whites from beyond those shores.

As for yer man, fair play, though according to Google he was born in The Pale, but his old man was from Derry (DM's even lived on the Bogside!)...

Though see the equivalent uproar was somewhat more muted.

Even being the first in 56 years since 1950!
    And he said he was 'too small' to make it via the Irish team's trials!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I'm bothered if you wish to try and take your point further and expand on the apparent distinction. What do you have in mind exactly? Should a different set of rules or principles apply to the two respective cases? How do we distinguish between the two sets exactly? What about players like Lee Camp or Alex Bruce, for example? Which bracket do they slot into? Can anyone say for certainty that their original associations would never have entertained the idea of calling them up again? To the best of my knowledge, nobody from the FAI ever told Alex Bruce that he would be permanently surplus to requirements.

Besides, McClean, like all international footballers is free to retire from playing for an association whenever he wishes. McClean did it earlier than most. If he happens to be eligible to play for another association, is that the business of the former association? Stephen Ireland did it at an early age. George McCartney similarly did it at a stage perceived by many NI fans to be "too early". Some fans don't take to it too well, but are players to be obligated to represent associations if they've featured for them before or what?
    I think Osarusan is referring to the lack of controversy in regards to Cullen's proposed move rather than the mechanics of the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Ozyakup - I decided to follow my heart': http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-arc...ollow-my-heart

Oguzhan Ozyakup says he chose to play for Turkey rather than Holland because he had to follow his heart.

The Arsenal midfielder has been a regular for the Dutch youth sides and captained the team to the final of the 2009 Under-17 European Championship.

But the 19-year-old - who was born in Holland - has now officially declared for Turkey and hopes to eventually force his way into Abdullah Avci’s squad.

“I decided now because for a long time it has been in my head that I have two nationalities,” Ozyakup told Arsenal.com.

“My parents are Turkish but moved to Holland a long time ago. It was a hard decision because I have played for Holland since I was 15.

“I spoke to loads of players, my parents, my family. They just said that it was my decision. A national team is not like a club, it is a country and you have to choose who you feel the most for.

“My Mum and Dad always said to me that it didn't matter who I played for, but I know deep in their hearts they wanted me to play for Turkey. But it was my decision overall.

“You have to follow your heart. If I kept waiting it was going to be harder and harder to decide. I feel that I am Turkish.”

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    I think Osarusan is referring to the lack of controversy in regards to Cullen's proposed move rather than the mechanics of the situation.
    The presumable difference is that Japan would not miss their player declaring for NI, whereas McClean was a possible asset when he declared for the FAI and became high profile when he got his start for Sunderland, therefore increasing the profile of his declaration.

Likewise there is no debate over Bruce turning his attentions to the IFA because we would not miss him?
    So, it's only controversial when a player turns out to be a good player and not about the mechanics that make it possible?

That's a relief, that the mechanics of FIFA eligibility (having the nationality is the cornerstone of eligibility) is no longer a main part of their controversy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Michael O'Neill interviewed by Vauxhall Northern Ireland Football on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151130793145322

Opening question deals with eligibility but nothing new to the debate really. O'Neill answers as one would expect and acknowledges having to respect players' rights.

The third and final question mentions a few players born elsewhere who O'Neill may wish to consider, including Sean Scannell. I've seen Scannell discussed a couple of time of late on OWC as a potential call-up for NI as I believe his father is actually from Armagh. Interesting considering he's played with us from under-17 level right up to under-21 and 'B' level.

For the record, the other potential call-ups mentioned were: former Japan youth international Robert Cullen, now of VVV-Venlo in the Netherlands; Liam Feeney of Millwall; England youth international Adam Hammill of Wolves; and Kyle Naughton of Spurs, now on loan at Norwich and also a former England youth international. O'Neill confirms that he would consider poaching all of them!

(Cullen is crap, he's morally ripe for poaching. )

As highlighted by Danny's post (which includes a list of names that is far from exhaustive), the IFA doesn't make any distinction along the lines you try to infer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Nor do many NI fans, in fact. They certainly wouldn't turn down Connor Wickham if Gerry Armstrong could convince him to switch from the FA. Many advocate the IFA having a word with the lad. All fine, of course; it's just the hypocrisy, double standards and allegations of foul play made against the the FAI that get me, as you know.

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post

As highlighted by Danny's post (which includes a list of names that is far from exhaustive), the IFA doesn't make any distinction along the lines you try to infer.
    I didn't at any stage imply that the IFA make any distinction. The distinction is one I make, along the lines that Geysir suggested above:
    The presumable difference is that Japan would not miss their player declaring for NI, whereas McClean was a possible asset when he declared for the FAI
    Although I recognise that the eligibility rules governing both situations are the same, for me the distinction is between players who are still wanted by the other (or former) association, and players who, notwithstanding Danny's "Who knows?" argument, have decided to look elsewhere, having made their mind up that the country they'd hoped to represent doesn't seem to want them.
    Last edited by osarusan; 22/02/2012 at 12:33 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,103 Posts
    Nor do many NI fans, in fact. They certainly wouldn't turn down Connor Wickham if Gerry Armstrong could convince him to switch from the FA. Many advocate the IFA having a word with the lad. All fine, of course; it's just the hypocrisy, double standards and allegations of foul play made against the the FAI that get me, as you know.
    I'd hold this view. The IFA see no moral issue with them contacting players that are already allied to different associations. This hypocrisy constantly rears it's head; Cullen, Anton Rodgers, Bruce (not sure as to whether contact has been initiated towards Wickham but I'm not sure who it would surprise if it has been). Michael O'Neill recently stated his desire to expand his choice of players and when the issue was put to him lately in relation to a number of named players (I'm not sure of the names, I'll have to delve back into this thread) he confirmed that those players would be considered.

Scotland have recently picked Matt Phillips who has been lining out at under-age level for England as recently as last year. Scotland seem to take a very pro-active approach in this regard and instances of them contacting players from other associations are plenty (see also Jack McBean and Jonjo Shelvey).

So, it's a practice that takes place among many associations. Yet, the association which seems to shout the loudest in condemning the behaviour of another association in this regard is the IFA. There is an adoption of an innocent victim persona by the association, but all the evidence points towards them deploying a more aggressive approach.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,103 Posts
    And it's quite clear the JFA won't miss Robert Cullen. The only question Michael O'Neill must ask himself is whether Cullen's better than Warren Feeney.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    And it's quite clear the JFA won't miss Robert Cullen.
    We do not know that. But as Cullen has not played with Japan since 2008, we can assume he is not in their immediate plans. However maybe further down the line he will be in their plans. Take David Forde for example. His first cap for us came in his 30s. If Robert Cullen starts to attract the attention of a Premiership club, he most likely will become of interest to the Japanese FA. Similar to what happened with James McClean. He wasn't selected by the IFA for a period of approximately two years, but once they get word of an immediate move to Premiership club, McClean gets a call-up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Didn't Keith Andrews make his senior international debut for us at the age of 26/27?

Likewise, didn't a few years pass between Glenn Whelan representing our under-21s and featuring in our senior team?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    We do not know that. But as Cullen has not played with Japan since 2008, we can assume he is not in their immediate plans. However maybe further down the line he will be in their plans. Take David Forde for example. His first cap for us came in his 30s. If Robert Cullen starts to attract the attention of a Premiership club, he most likely will become of interest to the Japanese FA. Similar to what happened with James McClean. He wasn't selected by the IFA for a period of approximately two years, but once they get word of an immediate move to Premiership club, McClean gets a call-up.
    I know we don't know that, that is true but it is very unlikely he will get that Premiership move that would raise his profile. He's got one goal so far this season in the league, Afonso Alves got 34 the season before he moved to Boro and that's only using his goalscoring record as an example for a player in the Dutch league moving to the Premiership. It's pretty clear Cullen is not the next Suarez.

At what level did Cullen play for Japan in 2008? Wikipedia's last record is 2005 for the under 20's.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,103 Posts
    Didn't Keith Andrews make his senior international debut for us at the age of 26/27?

Likewise, didn't a few years pass between Glenn Whelan representing our under-21s and featuring in our senior team?
    Jon Walters is another example of this. My point is that Cullen is not actively playing or being selected by the JFA. Presently, he is not in their plans. That all could change, granted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts

Keith Andrews is a very good case in point. If his and Paul Ince's paths had not crossed for a second time he might never had got that break his career needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    At what level did Cullen play for Japan in 2008? Wikipedia's last record is 2005 for the under 20's.
    I've read elsewhere he played U23 level in 2008.