Page 13 of 387 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    A form of positive discrimination? Are the IFA going to open up the FAI's 'Big Book of Catholic names' in order to ween out the dual nationals?
    It's not discriminating in any way.

I haven't a notion what your talking about with the "Big Book of Catholic names" comment.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I wonder if the Spanish objection to their status is from the FEF or actually (which I suspect) from the Spanish government.
    Seems like "political interference" to me.
    I suppose emotional influence, or however you'd put it, as opposed to de jure influence may have been at play, but obviously it's very difficult to prove something if it's not in writing. Seeing FIFA threaten the Spanish federation with sanction or expulsion would indeed be interesting drama considering Spain are the current World Cup and European champions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Ne'er mind their current status as jammy wc winners. Non-members haven't a hope really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    It's not discriminating in any way.
    How is it not? It is a process of "flushing out", as you say, "waverers" - distinguised by their dual nationality and hearsay. Why don't you just let players get on with it? If they want to change they will do so in their own time - suspected individuals shouldn't be singled out for special treatment.

The FFF had a similar incident just recently where some proposed a 'quota' on dual nationals.

I haven't a notion what your talking about with the "Big Book of Catholic names" comment.
    I'm poking fun at the OWC accusations of the FAI being sectarian. I recall one poster suggesting that the 'men in the FAI jackets' had a child-catching kit, with a big net and book of Catholic sounding names.
    In seriousness, how do you know who is an FAI target and who is not? Or who may be in two minds about the FAI and the IFA?
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    That's very interesting re Gibraltar. I used to take a great interest in smaller non-FIFA nations and regions however I haven't in a while.
    I wonder if the Spanish objection to their status is from the FEF or actually (which I suspect) from the Spanish government.
    Seems like "political interference" to me.

Probably both, but it's not as if the FEF would need any encouragement to complain. Granting Gibraltar association status would sent the Catalans and the Basques into fits. Possibly the Valencians too.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 03/05/2011 at 3:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    How is it not? It is a process of "flushing out", as you say, "waverers" - distinguised by their dual nationality and hearsay. Why don't you just let players get on with it? If they want to change they will do so in their own time - suspected individuals shouldn't be singled out for special treatment.
    What????

We are told, constantly, that all players eligible are welcome to the ranks of the FAI.

All Northern Ireland players are Dual Nationals.

I give you the example of Shane Ferguson.

Is he good enough for the Northern Ireland senior squad? Absolutely.

Are the FAI sniffing? Yes Sir.

Should the IFA have selected him for the recent senior qualifiers squad? Yes.

Should that be a lesson? It should be - but it's the IFA we're talking about here.

Where is the problem with this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I'm poking fun at the OWC accusations of the FAI being sectarian. I recall one poster suggesting that the 'men in the FAI jackets' had a child-catching kit, with a big net and book of Catholic sounding names.
    In seriousness, how do you know who is an FAI target and who is not?
    Oh right - fair enough. I remember poking fun on here at the knob who told us that David Healy was receiving sectarian abuse from Northern Ireland fans, because he was a "Catholic". (Healy being a "Catholic" name....apparently!)

With regards to FAI targets - The evidence produced so far by the FAI indicates criteria of a player being from a "nationalist background".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    What evidence? Is there any evidence that the FAI target particular players? I remember EG claimed something with regard to Chris Baird a long time ago - not even sure if there was a source cited - but other than that...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It would be interesting to see what the FAI would do should a young Protestant sensation come through the NI ranks. I suppose Jonny Evans was the last one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    And I think what Predator is getting at is the idea that if the IFA are to begin attempting to pre-empt the switching of players to the FAI that they might fear due to socio-cultural background and demographic reality, they could very easily fall victim to the same accusations the FAI do from NI fans when they're being lambasted for apparently targeting young nationalist footballers on a sectarian basis.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It would be interesting to see what the FAI would do should a young Protestant sensation come through the NI ranks.
    Probably the same thing they usually do; wait for some indication of interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Probably the same thing they usually do; wait for some indication of interest.
    Nah - stuff that.

Just approach them, and get Tardelli to make the "we'd like you"..."contact us, if you like" noises.

It goes like this:

"He hasn't indicated to us, but I like him," smiled the Irish No 2. "There are many ways for him to contact us."

Don Givens can do the confirmation that the FAI have made the approach.
    Last edited by Not Brazil; 03/05/2011 at 4:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    And I think what Predator is getting at is the idea that if the IFA are to begin attempting to pre-empt the switching of players to the FAI that they might fear due to socio-cultural background and demographic reality, they could very easily fall victim to the same accusations the FAI do from NI fans when they're being lambasted for apparently targeting young nationalist footballers on a sectarian basis.
    An alternative might be for the IFA to not select "young nationalist footballers" until they approach the IFA asking to be considered. Parity with the FAI, and all that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Nah - stuff that.

Just approach them, and get Tardelli to make the "we'd like you"..."contact us, if you like" noises.

It goes like this:

"He hasn't indicated to us, but I like him," smiled the Irish No 2. "There are many ways for him to contact us."

Don Givens can do the confirmation that the FAI have made the approach.
    Have the FAI made the approach? Or did Ferguson make his intentions clear to the FAI?
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Have the FAI made the approach? Or did Ferguson make his intentions clear to the FAI?
    Seems very much like the FAI made the approach to me - given the words of both Givens and Tardelli. Couple that with an interview Ferguson gave to a Northern Ireland fanzine recently.

It's also apparent that Ferguson is not at all "clear"... "he hasn't indicated to us" / "There are many ways for him to contact us."

...former Irish under 21 boss Don Givens confirmed that the FAI had approached Derry-born Shane Ferguson about the possibility of playing for the Republic of Ireland....“Shane is still kind of making his mind up but Mick Martin has spoken to him,” Givens told journalists.

Either that, or the words of Givens and Tardelli are not disguised very well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    The evidence produced so far by the FAI indicates criteria of a player being from a "nationalist background".
    Or perhaps we should listen to what the players say.

Marc Wilson “It’s the best honour you can get to represent your country – it’s always been a dream of mine to play for Ireland”

Darron Gibson “It was unbelievable you know, making the debut for your country. Everyone from Derry wants to play for Ireland. I grew up supporting Ireland, so it was a natural choice for me”

Shane Duffy "I’ve always supported the Republic since I was a young kid, It’s a dream come true for me "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Seems very much like the FAI made the approach to me - given the words of both Givens and Tardelli. Couple that with an interview Ferguson gave to a Northern Ireland fanzine recently.

It's also apparent that Ferguson is not at all "clear"... "he hasn't indicated to us" / "There are many ways for him to contact us."

...former Irish under 21 boss Don Givens confirmed that the FAI had approached Derry-born Shane Ferguson about the possibility of playing for the Republic of Ireland....“Shane is still kind of making his mind up but Mick Martin has spoken to him,” Givens told journalists.

Either that, or the words of Givens and Tardelli are not disguised very well.
    Tardelli's words indicated that contact hadn't been made by the FAI and that the ball was in Ferguson's court whilst Givens' words don't necessarily indicate a huge deal; certainly not a sectarian targeting scheme. For all we know Ferguson, a family member or a friend might have contacted the FAI in order to learn more or to test the viability and implications of making a switch. The FAI might then have entrusted Mick Martin with having a chat or something to run things through; who knows? Maybe Ferguson spoke with Mick Martin in an informal, off-the-cuff sort of fashion. It would be entirely plausible. After all, Martin is a former Newcastle captain and is based in the area now doing regular radio work in relation to the club. Chances are he might have been around the training ground and bumped into Ferguson, deciding to have a chat with him about it. In fact, is Martin even employed by the FAI?
    Last edited by DannyInvincible; 03/05/2011 at 6:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Probably both, but it's not as if the FEF would need any encouragement to complain. Granting Gibraltar association status would sent the Catalans and the Basques into fits. Possibly the Valencians too.
    Not at all. The FEF do not represent Gibraltar as it is a different state. They readily represent Catalunya, Euskara, Andalucia, Galicia, Castille etc.

I see where you're coming from. I feel that it was more political pressure from the government than any sort of real will from the FEF.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    I also meant to add that I don't think FIFA are obliged to adhere to CAS rulings, but they generally tend to as they'd appear less accountable that way than they already do. I'm open to correction on that though, but I am aware that the Gibraltar Football Association, for example, applied for UEFA membership and had it refused after the Spanish association kicked up a fuss and threatened to boycott competition. This was in spite of Gibraltar taking their case to CAS who ruled that they did in fact have valid grounds for UEFA membership and satisfied FIFA's criteria for confederation membership. More about it on Wiki here.

"On August 25, 2006, it was proposed that Gibraltar will become a provisional member of UEFA. However, a decision on granting this was postponed in October 2006. The decision was made on December 8, 2006 that Gibraltar will be made provisional members of UEFA: FIFA had announced two days earlier that their executive committee had "ruled that Gibraltar does not meet the statutory requirements to become a FIFA member", despite the fact that the Court of Arbitration in Sport had already ruled to the contrary.

On January 26, 2007 Gibraltar membership had been rejected by the UEFA Board with only 3 out of 52 votes supporting Gibraltar's claim. Spain was the strongest opponent to Gibraltar joining UEFA, even threatening to boycott any competition in which the Gibraltar national team would compete.

The issue has again been referred back to the Court of Arbitration for Sport for a ruling."
    I'd be against any former colony receiving such status whilst still a colony.
    An independent country/region, eg. a UN member would be a different case.

And don't be too hard on NB as he's the only regular Northern-based poster from the 'other' side....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    I'd be against any former colony receiving such status whilst still a colony.
    An independent country/region, eg. a UN member would be a different case.
    Which would bring the status of England, Wales, Scotland and Not Brazil bit into question? Non?

Not to mention the Faeroes.