Page 105 of 387 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 7722

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    There's also the BT poll, though think you can vote multiple times. Which I may have done...
    Jesus wept.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Why Jaysus??

As in an explanation would be good.
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 02/12/2011 at 9:59 PM. Reason: Responding to strange post above.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    It's quite a paradox that the people who most want a United Ireland are the people who dislike, even loathe, 'Northern Ireland' the most. Very evident in this debate here. The impression which comes across forcefully is that the 'two tribes/North & South' partition looks copper fastened for ever.

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Naw, don't agree with that at all.
    Give it 200 years...

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Give it 200 years...
    Gerry, Marty and the boys were a tad out with the 2016 prediction then.

So, "it's only a matter of time", but it might be a hell of a long time.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Came across two public polls, so I don't know who's been voting on them at all. A Facebook poll has 170 votes (86.7%) to 26 votes (13.3%) in favour of keeping 'God Save the Queen' whilst a Twitter poll has 75 votes (52%) to 70 votes (48%) in favour of dropping 'God Save the Queen'.

Edit: There's nother on Facebook here which is pretty even; 46 votes to 45 in favour of keeping 'God Save the Queen'.
    A Poll conducted by the IFA amomgst blockbookers would be interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Why would they limit their research to the blockbookers? The IFA is the governing body of football for the whole of Northern Ireland, not just those current fans who go can afford to go to games.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Why would they limit their research to the blockbookers?
    Because they're easily identified and contacted, and provide a sample large enough to be representative.

not just those current fans
    The opinions of current fans are probably of more use to the IFA than a random selection of non-fans, Bellylaugh readers or obsessive internet users in England.

who go can afford to go to games
    Given that NI play only four or five home games per year, a block booking is affordable to most. Even if you don't think it offers particularly good value.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It depends on what your objective is.

If you want to confirm the status quo, then by all means limit the poll to block bookers.

If you want to gauge whether a move away from GSTQ would make for a more broadly representative team, then you'll have to expand the pool.

I suspect the IFA has little interest in diluting the team's core British identity and as such would be loath to undertake research that might not support that.

Which is completely fine, by the way, but you'd then have to accept that there will continue to be a substantial part of the country's football community that has little to no interest in the Northern Ireland team.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Because they're easily identified and contacted, and provide a sample large enough to be representative.
    More easily identified and contacted than, say, another equally large sample of people from Northern Ireland?

The opinions of current fans are probably of more use to the IFA than a random selection of non-fans, Bellylaugh readers or obsessive internet users in England.
    Why is that? Shouldn't they seek to consult a much broader NI crowd than current NI fans, given that they purport to represent the region?
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It depends on what your objective is
    To canvass the opinion of NI fans in a way that's both representative of them, and effective to carry out.

If you want to confirm the status quo, then by all means limit the poll to block bookers
    Er, obviously no- since every time this issue raises on this and any other forum, I always say I'd prefer a distinct NI anthem to replace GSTQ

A poll of block bookers isn't 'limited', as I explained- they are people demonstrating their support for the NI team in a straightforward and affordable way.

If you want to gauge whether a move away from GSTQ would make for a more broadly representative team, then you'll have to expand the pool
    I don't, actually. More important to gauge what NI fans actually think on the issue, and as a result to make the anthem (or whatever) more representative of them.

I suspect the IFA has little interest in diluting the team's core British identity
    No ****, Sherlock. I wouldn't be too keen on the idea myself, assuming that you mean making the team less representative of its fans?

and as such would be loath to undertake research that might not support that
    Such research- a weighted poll of 1,000 NI adults?- would presumably identify significant groups of people who are uninterested in football, and/or want a united Ireland yesterday. Why would the IFA realistically care what they think? However any research question is worded it's unlikely to identify a significant group of nw fans who'd be attracted by a knees up to Danny Boy, Ireland's Call, or some dirge written by Snow Patrol.

And in any case, so long as the IFA don't actually break any laws or breach the peace with their anthems, competition names or long-standing bans on large sectors of the community, everyone else will probably lose interest in this issue and find some other exaggerated controversy to get outraged about.

you'd then have to accept that there will continue to be a substantial part of the country's football community that has little to no interest in the Northern Ireland team
    I've always accepted that a significant number of them support the RoI, so what's new? As above, I imagine an insignifcant number of those would be attracted to Windsor by a new anthem. Do you seriously think otherwise?

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    More easily identified and contacted than, say, another equally large sample of people from Northern Ireland?
    Er, yes- since a self-selected group such as NI fans are easier to contact- you just put a flyer in their renewal form, merchandise catalog or whatever. You don't need to conduct a complex Gallup poll weighted for the right number of Sinn Fein and DUP voters, or the like.

And- more importantly- they don't need to be filtered to exclude the uninterested or irredeemably biased. You already know they support NI, that's the whole point of asking them what they think.

Why is that? Shouldn't they seek to consult a much broader NI crowd than current NI fans, given that they purport to represent the region?
    Don't play dumb. What NI fans think is obviously of value to the IFA; what most non-fans think isn't, provided the IFA stay within the rule of law and don't explicitly exclude others.

As I suggested in a previous reply to you, expecting sports administrators to do much more than represent their fans and stay within those broad legal limits is a bit pointless. Particularly in a polarised situation like NI where we know what 90% of the voters think on most aspects of the overriding single issue locally.

This isn't going to be an election issue or force a constitutional amendment. The most you'll get is a phone in to Wendy or Nolan, if they don't float your boat hand in a petition or something.
    Last edited by Gather round; 02/12/2011 at 7:35 PM.

18. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    To canvass the opinion of NI fans in a way that's both representative of them, and effective to carry out.

Er, obviously no- since every time this issue raises on this and any other forum, I always say I'd prefer a distinct NI anthem to replace GSTQ

A poll of block bookers isn't 'limited', as I explained- they are people demonstrating their support for the NI team in a straightforward and affordable way.

I don't, actually. More important to gauge what NI fans actually think on the issue, and as a result to make the anthem (or whatever) more representative of them.
    That's what I was trying to clarify. You're only interested in those who currently support the team, however the IFA's current policy - in public at least - is to expand the support base by attracting more people from nationalist backgrounds.

No ****, Sherlock. I wouldn't be too keen on the idea myself, assuming that you mean making the team less representative of its fans?
    Well I mean putting a smaller emphasis on the overt symbols of British nationalism (i.e. the anthem) to create a more agreeable environment for those who don't identify with those symbols, like the way the IRFU doesn't use Amhran na bhFiann outside of the Republic.

Such research- a weighted poll of 1,000 NI adults?- would presumably identify significant groups of people who are uninterested in football, and/or want a united Ireland yesterday. Why would the IFA realistically care what they think? However any research question is worded it's unlikely to identify a significant group of nw fans who'd be attracted by a knees up to Danny Boy, Ireland's Call, or some dirge written by Snow Patrol.
    Well you filter out people who aren't interested in football by only surveying people who are. The people who want a United Ireland yesterday will presumably answer that GSTQ and related symbols are irrelevant to them, which would support your position.

And in any case, so long as the IFA don't actually break any laws or breach the peace with their anthems, competition names or long-standing bans on large sectors of the community, everyone else will probably lose interest in this issue and find some other exaggerated controversy to get outraged about.

I've always accepted that a significant number of them support the RoI, so what's new? As above, I imagine an insignifcant number of those would be attracted to Windsor by a new anthem. Do you seriously think otherwise?
    I have no idea, but I imagine the current crop of football fans are stuck in their ways. Presumably you'd like the Northern Ireland team to still exist in the future though, and I'd wager future generations of kids from nationalist backgrounds would be more favourably disposed to a team that's more broadly representative of the entire population. That said, the status quo seems to be alright with everybody except those who cry about nationalists opting for the Republic.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Surely according to the claims of the farcical 'Football For All, surely the IFA and related anthem/flag should reflect the wishes of the whole populace??

Not a few thousand people who mainly seem to have large girths...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    Gerry, Marty and the boys were a tad out with the 2016 prediction then.

So, "it's only a matter of time", but it might be a hell of a long time.
    Maybe they were;doesn't mean it won't happen though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    You're only interested in those who currently support the team
    Not quite. While they're the priority for the reasons I described, I'm also interested in potential new fans, even large groups which represent whole sectors of society.

As I've said many times on here, realistically such new fans are more likely to come from the unionist (or non-nationalist, if you prefer) community. Nationalist football fans in NI tend to support the Republic as we know. That's not to say a more welcoming atmosphere for them wouldn't be welcome, they just aren't the priority as I see it; they already support another team.

however the IFA's current policy - in public at least - is to expand the support base by attracting more people from nationalist backgrounds
    Indeed. As far as I know- not that far, as I live in England am not an IFA official in any capacity- it's the same in private. I simply think it's the wrong priority, as I say above.

Well I mean putting a smaller emphasis on the overt symbols of British nationalism (i.e. the anthem) to create a more agreeable environment for those who don't identify with those symbols
    Well, to repeat again: I certainly don't identify with- or like- GSTQ, yet I've been watching NI games since the 70s and don't find the anthem a major factor in setting the environment. Actually I'm normally tranferring from pub to seat via toilets while it's playing. So funnily enough, I don't think changing the anthem, if it happens, will make that much difference to the atmosphere, nor indeed the people who turn up.

like the way the IRFU doesn't use Amhran na bhFiann outside of the Republic
    I'm not a RU fan so merely quoting others second hand, but assuming that comment is serious it's misplaced. Almost all the NI unionist RU fans I know think the lack of AnbF outside the Republic is irrelevant; if the IRFU wanted to make a real symbolic gesture they'd stop playing it at Lansdowne.

Well you filter out people who aren't interested in football by only surveying people who are
    That's my point. Other people (ie those who aren't ever likely, realistically, to show at an NI game) are largely irrelevant to the IFA. Remember, they aren't a government agency or political party- they don't have to be accountable to the wider electorate as long as they operate within the law, as I said.

I imagine the current crop of football fans are stuck in their ways
    Maybe, but I daresay they also relfect the society they live in. Which, in NI means 90% of voters voting around a single issue, as I mentioned.

Presumably you'd like the Northern Ireland team to still exist in the future though, and I'd wager future generations of kids from nationalist backgrounds would be more favourably disposed to a team that's more broadly representative of the entire population
    That's nice.I'll match your wager: in 25 years, I expect the NI side will be running out to something other than GSTQ, because before then I imagine support for something more distinct will have grown. Always assuming FIFA still use national anthems generally of course. And then your notional generation of nationalist kids* will likely be doing one of two things- either happily supporting NI, or conversely gurning about their alientation because there still isn't a united Ireland in 2036. Either way, my suggested strategy will be vindicated

* I saw a press report today about the proposed closure of one of NI's two teacher training colleges. Nationalist and unionist hacks rounded on the Alliance guy for having the temerity to even suggest that they merge. If that ever happens, I wonder how that will affect segregated education and its knock on effect on football supporting?

That said, the status quo seems to be alright with everybody except those who cry about nationalists opting for the Republic
    That group doesn't include me. If they want to emigrate, fine: it would be better if they hadn't amassed numerous cps for NI adult sides first.

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Surely it should be about appealing to future generations, rather than a few paranoid fools stuck in the past?

And you'll all be glad to know that our rotund 'friend' 'enjoyed' his own 'Jeremy Clarkson moment' earlier when he referred to members of this board in rather disparaging terms...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    It's quite a paradox that the people who most want a United Ireland are the people who dislike, even loathe, 'Northern Ireland' the most.
    Surely it's obvious they would object to its existence (Rather like unionists are to a UI).
    And quite understandable, given they were the indigenous population who were most disadvantaged.
    It's hardly rocket science...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    That's what I was trying to clarify. You're only interested in those who currently support the team, however the IFA's current policy - in public at least - is to expand the support base by attracting more people from nationalist backgrounds.
    Where have the IFA stated this publicly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    like the way the IRFU doesn't use Amhran na bhFiann outside of the Republic.
    Why do the IRFU use it in the Republic?

Anyway, perhaps GSTQ followed by a uniquely Northern Irish Anthem is the way to go, based on the practice of the IRFU.