Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 7722

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    There is a distinction there, but it could easily become quite blurred in conversation. What the FAI see as 'ensuring the player is aware of their options' could be seen as an 'approach' by the IFA, or by the player in question.

If FAI scout Mick Martin goes to a player and asks about his 'potential interest to play for us', it's not hard to imagine that player inferring that he has been approached by the FAI. The wording of the question would be very interesting.
    I think we can trust Mick Martin not to grab the player by the lapels, thrust him against wall and call him a traitor for not deciding, there and then, to declare for the land of Caithleen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrocket View Post
    I liked the bit when Mark Carruthers asked him about the cost of the new contract and Delaney replied "...he recognised the tough economic climate that we all live in.." do you now John, do you now?

This was fun as well http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017jk00
    Jump to 41 mins if you want to avoid the poor grammar exhibited during the first article, which dealt ironically enough with educational issues.
    Just listened to this and I hear a NI fan demanding that the FAI change their anthem. Is there an issue among the Irish public whereby they will not play for the team or feel uneasy about supporting the team because of the anthem?

Then there's the question of "How many protestants are in the ROI team and how many Catholics are in the NI team?"... Where does one even start?
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Those who disagree with the anthem, or NI's place in the UK, are "bigots".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    The caller actually said "bigots in inverted commas".

That's quite an intelligent leap forward.
    Last edited by The Fly; 30/11/2011 at 7:04 PM.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Just listened to this and I hear a NI fan demanding that the FAI change their anthem. Is there an issue among the Irish public whereby they will not play for the team or feel uneasy about supporting the team because of the anthem?

Then there's the question of "How many protestants are in the ROI team and how many Catholics are in the NI team?"... Where does one even start?
    I think he was my favourite caller. Not sure what the debate has got to with the FAI seeing as all people nationwide are generally delighted to get behind Ireland irrespective of their politics or religion. And we don't know how many Protestants are in our sides because, unlike somewhere else, one's religion isn't a matter of public note in the south. It really isn't an issue because, in contrast to its neighbour, the Irish state doesn't actually have a history of institutional sectarianism. It's probably difficult for someone so obsessed with religion and its related baggage in NI to even imagine that. If one really did want to know for absolute certain whether or not the FAI was a sectarian organisation, they could probably look to the selection of those of Irish nationality from Ulster Protestant, Maghrebi Arab, Turkish-German or Nigerian backgrounds to see that it isn't at all.

See, that's the thing. Many NI fans seem to be unable to grasp this for some reason. Maybe it's a form of denial. To have no interest in the IFA's team isn't indicative of a sectarian bigot nor need it even be a sign of an individual who's rabidly opposed to the very existence of NI. To favour the FAI over the IFA is simply a natural expression of national identity for Irish nationalists in NI. To put it simply, it's to do with "love" for one thing rather than "hate" for something else. NI fans don't support Belgium, for example, not because they hold anti-Belgian sentiment, but simply because Belgium isn't their country. The IFA are similarly irrelevant to Irish nationalists in the sense they don't represent the identity of the nationalist community and, I would argue, will find it impossible to ever do so in the sense that they, by their existence, are inherently a British association.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    "bigot" seems to be a casual word thrown about by both "sides" to people who disagree with them.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    "bigot" seems to be a casual word thrown about by both "sides" to people who disagree with them.
    There are two sides. And the right side.
    In my experience, those who have branded people bigots for objecting to GSTQ or for opting for the FAI have similarly scoffed at the legitimacy of the Irish nationality of the Irish state and seek to undermine it. Not once have I termed someone a bigot for supporting Northern Ireland or for wanting to keep GSTQ. Those who are most loudly making it an issue of bigotry and of sectarianism are the IFA's fans. It's amazing.
    Last edited by Predator; 30/11/2011 at 5:39 PM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post

It had the faint sound of the archetypal moaning child, the "why always me" type.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Not sure what the debate has got to with the FAI seeing as all people nationwide are generally delighted to get behind Ireland irrespective of their politics or religion. And we don't know how many Protestants are in our sides because, unlike somewhere else, one's religion isn't a matter of public note in the south.
    The debate has nothing to do with the FAI. A desperate case of whataboutery that isn't even relevant. It's a silly enough argument to raise, unless he's hoping that the FAI will eventually become the representative team for the whole island and if they adopted a new anthem, it would be a step in this direction. The spotlight is once again on the IFA and NI fans don't like the wider community questioning their wee team. Part of the reason why they only want IFA fans to contribute to discussion. Weird.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    Are you referring generally because I don't think people casually throwing the word "bigot" around is all that prevalent here? Happy to be corrected on that though. Most people here are simply eager to support/defend the right of northern-born Irish nationals to declare for their country and acknowledge that whatever the IFA and NI fans want to do otherwise is the business of the IFA and NI fans. Nobody's out to have the IFA abolished, and especially not the FAI. Some here have even expressed good will towards the IFA and are generally happy to see their teams do well, believe it or not.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I don't think any Northern Ireland fan should be "demanding" that the South changes their Anthem - that's the business of the FAI and it's supporters.

Likewise, I don't really care what Republic supporters think about our National Anthem - I do care what the IFA and our supporters think about it though.

On the score, I sense that we are entering the end game on the "Anthem debate" - not before time.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    On the score, I sense that we are entering the end game on the "Anthem debate" - not before time.
    What do you think the outcome will be? Can we look forward to hearing a bit of Lightbody penned guff resounding around Windsor?
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    My main gripe with the anthem debate is that Future Chaser were given the cold shoulder by Armstrong.

17. Thanks From:

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    What do you think the outcome will be? Can we look forward to hearing a bit of Lightbody penned guff resounding around Windsor?
    I honestly don't know what the outcome will be - split camp at present.

I hope the outcome is change.

I don't care who would write a new "sporting" Anthem, just so long as it was half decent and specifically Northern Irish.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    There are two sides. And the right side.
    In my experience, those who have branded people bigots for objecting to GSTQ or for opting for the FAI have similarly scoffed at the legitimacy of the Irish nationality of the Irish state and seek to undermine it. Not once have I termed someone a bigot for supporting Northern Ireland or for wanting to keep GSTQ. Those who are most loudly making it an issue of bigotry and of sectarianism are the IFA's fans. It's amazing.
    I agree with you, Pred. I should have made it clear that I wasn't especially referring to this issue, but to the entire hornets nest that is Northern Irish politics, where "bigot" seems to be thrown around left right and centre. One example is on that radio programme.

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post

The cooling off period has improved your humour, Fly.
    That radio piece was duller than dishwater, though Nolan without Nolan was an improvement.
    Gerry has just realized in the last 4 months that there is an amount of dis-ease about GSTQ, amongst the fenian hoardes. Gerry had never came across the slightest hint of discord about the anthem before these 4 months. And now he reveals to the province, (yes he called the sacred wee country a province) that there are some Fenians who are disturbed about the anthem issue and maybe it's time to have a discussion. He reckons it must be the GFA that caused the discord - or did that come from another caller?

Phonecalls in on the anthem issue are allocated according to viewpoint based on the D'Hont method, so most people in NI will have got some representation.
    Not just a simple pro or anti position. You have Billy calling everybody else bigots, those who don't agree with him. There's somebody who thinks things haven't changed since Neil Lennon was booed, threatened, shot and left for dead. There is the ordinary decent loyalist fan who readily accepts the need to change the football anthem. The ROI fan who doesn't care what they do at Windsor park, wild rotwielers wouldn't drag him there. Then a smattering of other opinions.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    If they want to save a few bucks on residual royalties I'm near finished an App that writes Snow Patrol songs.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The cooling off period has improved your humour, Fly.
    I reject the insinuation that it needed improving.

Phonecalls in on the anthem issue are allocated according to viewpoint based on the D'Hont method, so most people in NI will have got some representation.
    Hmmm, so that's.....

Billy calling everybody else bigots, those who don't agree with him.
    = the DUP voter now leaning towards the TUV.

There's somebody who thinks things haven't changed since Neil Lennon was booed, threatened, shot and left for dead.
    = the Sinn Fein voter leaning towards Eirigi.

There is the ordinary decent loyalist fan who readily accepts the need to change the football anthem.
    = the UUP voter.

The ROI fan who doesn't care what they do at Windsor park, wild rotwielers wouldn't drag him there.
    = most nationalist voters.

Then a smattering of other opinions.
    = Alliance, Green and Independent voters.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fly
    I reject the insinuation that it needed improving.
    Last edited by The Fly; 30/11/2011 at 8:17 PM.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    I honestly don't know what the outcome will be - split camp at present.
    Came across two public polls, so I don't know who's been voting on them at all. A Facebook poll has 170 votes (86.7%) to 26 votes (13.3%) in favour of keeping 'God Save the Queen' whilst a Twitter poll has 75 votes (52%) to 70 votes (48%) in favour of dropping 'God Save the Queen'.

Edit: There's nother on Facebook here which is pretty even; 46 votes to 45 in favour of keeping 'God Save the Queen'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    I voted in the Fermanagh and South Tyrone poll. Couldn't get there until 11pm, but luckily the booth was still open. Turnout of 103%.

My mate suggested I go in and show some support for the Queen. So I gave first preference to Tenement funster from the Sheer Heart Attack album.

30. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    What are you on about?? Apart from being obtusely unfunny.

DI,
    There's also the BT poll, though think you can vote multiple times. Which I may have done...