Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing 2011

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I don't know if anybody saw the "fight" on Saturday night with Roy Jones and a so-so fighter from Russia? The week and a half preceding the fight was one of the most disgusting displays of I don't know what with Jones being paraded around Moscow like a circus freak. Then the fight itself, he was in control, hammering the desperate Russian, and then just before the fight was about to enter the 10th and final round, he walked back out grinning (Jones) and his cornerman ran out with his gumshield and some words. Having cleaned Lebedev's clock in the 4th, 7th and 9th rounds, having the man wobble and once fall into the ropes, Jones didn't even react, in fact in the 9th he actually caught Lebedev as he was fallind and held him up. Then with 30 seconds to go in the 10th (it was advertised as being 12 rounds) Jones was moving and covering well, picking off shots, when a tap caught him on the shoulder. He stood there, against the ropes and dropped his hands, leaning forward and Lebedev caught him as the ref was standing between them. Jones fell in a way that nobody falls when they're out cold (he fell carefully and aware of fallign) yet he lay there in turns grinning and winking as they held cotton wool under his nose - taken from a pack without any smelling salts.

The commentators bigged it up, however the sports media destroyed the whole event - having be "on song" with it before the fight.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    I don't know if anybody saw the "fight" on Saturday night with Roy Jones and a so-so fighter from Russia? The week and a half preceding the fight was one of the most disgusting displays of I don't know what with Jones being paraded around Moscow like a circus freak. Then the fight itself, he was in control, hammering the desperate Russian, and then just before the fight was about to enter the 10th and final round, he walked back out grinning (Jones) and his cornerman ran out with his gumshield and some words. Having cleaned Lebedev's clock in the 4th, 7th and 9th rounds, having the man wobble and once fall into the ropes, Jones didn't even react, in fact in the 9th he actually caught Lebedev as he was fallind and held him up. Then with 30 seconds to go in the 10th (it was advertised as being 12 rounds) Jones was moving and covering well, picking off shots, when a tap caught him on the shoulder. He stood there, against the ropes and dropped his hands, leaning forward and Lebedev caught him as the ref was standing between them. Jones fell in a way that nobody falls when they're out cold (he fell carefully and aware of fallign) yet he lay there in turns grinning and winking as they held cotton wool under his nose - taken from a pack without any smelling salts.

The commentators bigged it up, however the sports media destroyed the whole event - having be "on song" with it before the fight.
    Here's the video - I think it contradicts quite a lot of what you said about the knockout.

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    No, sorry, I know boxing and I know how much of a punt was taken here on such a result, it was a joke and if you'd witnessed the entire fight, plus the entire final round, plus teh entire build up, Jones wasn't out and carried his man to this point. The evening Jones was not taken to hospital, as per federation rules, instead he and his entourage partied the night away at Most.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    You described the knockout as a 'tap on the shoulder' - it is clearly a swinging right to the head (following a short straight left), and he follows it up with a decent enough uppercut.

As I said, the video contradicts your description of the knockout. Also, as somebody who knows boxing, you surely know that Roy Jones has had a glass chin for a long long time. It was only due to his outrageous speed and reflexes that this defect wasn't discovered until the last few years, as his speed and reflexes began to slow.

I haven't seen the whole fight, the build up or the aftermath, but my point is that your implication that Jones took a dive after getting a tap on the shoulder isn't what I see from the youtube clip. I see an old, spent fighter with a glass chin taking more than one solid shot to the head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I'm with osarusan on this one. Whatever about the events prior to the knockout, it was a fairly clanging blow to the head against a man with a history of poor defence.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Congrats to Ray Moylett and Joe Ward, both of whom won Gold medals today at the European Amateur Boxing Championship

An astonishing achievement for 17 year old Ward in particular

Moylett was our first ever Word youth Champion in 2008, Ward repeated that feat last year

Genuine medal contenders for London now
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    It's incredible what the hpu has achieved. Great results today. Moylette was up against the commonwealth champion so Stalker was no mug.

Super day for Irish boxing.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Matthew Macklin unlucky last night against Felix Sturm. Supposedly getting a rematch.

Congrats to Moylette and Ward.

What do people think of Klitschko v Haye on Saturday? I'm hoping for, and expecting, a Klitschko win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Klitschko was comfortable. Happy days.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    A broken toe seems to have cost Haye the title, if the British media are toe be believed. Awful fight and I thought Haye did well, he just fought like he normally did but came up short against a better fighter.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Thought Haye was rubbish, all talk and then nothing (except the last rd). Happy that he lost though, total lack of class or grace from this man. Klitschko was never in trouble, and he shud have went at Haye a little more, but he was comfortable for him. Not a great fight but to be fair for 5 rounds i did have a terrible stream so ..........................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I think the Klitschko's are a littl eunlucky that there's nobody around to touch them. We'll never know how they compare to other eras but the likes of Haye, Byrd and all the other journeymen would NEVER have got world title shots in previous eras.

Klitschko barely broke sweat and won that handily
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    I wouldn't say the undisputed cruiserweight world champion was a journeyman, but he just isn't big enough to be a heavyweight champion, I thought he did resonably well, its just a pity he couldn't really back up any of the pre fight rubbish.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    What Benno said. Haye's just another Brit.muppet at this weight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    I wouldn't say the undisputed cruiserweight world champion was a journeyman, but he just isn't big enough to be a heavyweight champion, I thought he did resonably well, its just a pity he couldn't really back up any of the pre fight rubbish.
    Fair point on the journeyman comment

I stand by him not getting a world title shot if the division wasn't so so poor

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    there have been many "small" heavies who were good enough to fight bigger fighters and beat them, but Klitschko is good.

The supposed lack of quality is something levelled in the present - it's always the same. Looking back is better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Watched Klitscko interviewed on SSN.

He's really a classy lad. Haye is some "toe"rag though.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    The Klitschkos have the best of a pretty mediocre heavyweight bunch in recent years. I would consider them to be solid but rather limited, but they've beaten whoevers been put in front of them, so good luck to them.

David Haye is an idiot. Sadly, Sky will lap up his bull**** as long as he decides to keep on fighting. And then they'll find someone to replace him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    He's retiring in 14 weeks at his 31st birthday but wants to fight Wladimir again.

Watch Wladimir jump to that. Boxing needs to be rid of Haye.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Fair point on the journeyman comment

I stand by him not getting a world title shot if the division wasn't so so poor
    Chris Byrd definitely isn't a journeyman either. The guy started out at a middleweight and has wins at heavyweight over Vitali (who quit because of his shoulder), Tua, Holyfield and McCline. He has a much better record at heavyweight than that fraud Haye.

Wlad has beaten what was put in front of him, very much like Lewis, Tyson and Larry Holmes. Lewis fought a lot of very average heavyweights as well but Sky seems to have forgotten that: Akinwande, Mavrovic, Botha and Grant. Beating a shot to pieces Tyson seems to have put Lewis up with the heavyweight greats.
    Last edited by shakermaker1982; 04/07/2011 at 8:41 AM.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast