Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Domodedovo Blast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Sellafield is a threat of us, but there is nothing that can be done in Ireland about it.

The dfa have put that "Exercise caution" advice up for Russia for a reason. They haven't put it up for the UK and Spain.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Sellafield is a threat of us, but there is nothing that can be done in Ireland about it.

The dfa have put that "Exercise caution" advice up for Russia for a reason. They haven't put it up for the UK and Spain.
    Because they can't, they're both EU countries. With Russia this is as much as they can do except if a full scale war erupts.

I was in Saudi Arabia 2001-3, all hell was breaking out - 11th of September, Afghanistan, Iraq, bombings and shootouts in the Kingdom. Yet the DFA didn't budge, simply mentioning it might be a tad difficult.

Sellafield is in the UK, it might be out of our control, though does that make it safer for Ireland? Not quite. Plus Ireland continues to be a target for the loonies with our facilitating the war on a word.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    I think DFA warnings often go up after an event like this anyway, regardless of the nation's previous stability (or otherwise), so it's kind of circular logic. There's a warning because there was an incident. They're basically covering themselves by being that bit cautious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    I think DFA warnings often go up after an event like this anyway, regardless of the nation's previous stability (or otherwise), so it's kind of circular logic. There's a warning because there was an incident. They're basically covering themselves by being that bit cautious.
    The warning hasn't gone up, it has remained as before the airport incident.

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    the theory that the Irish in particular could be specific targets, but without any particularly adequately explored reasoning
    I assumed he was thinking of the likely large group of Irish visitors to Moscow later this year, rather than separatist paramilitaries seeing more advantage in Irish casulaties than any other.

On a slightly lighter note, it reminds me of Rangers' European trip to the Caucasus a few years ago. They claimed the game should be moved, as it wasn't fair to have to play 200km from a region of seething ethnic hatred.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Except there won't be an especially large group this time round.

The economy, Trap and the Russian internal security and some of their revolting natives, will have done for that....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    It's a key game in the group, our fans have travelled everywhere in all economies, with far worse teams and coaches than we currently have. They went to Moscow in 85 when we hadn't a pot to pis in, on or off the pitch, so they'll go there in September, and have the patience of job with the terrorist threat, the visa bureaucracy, and the other things that come with visiting Russia.
    Last edited by mypost; 28/01/2011 at 12:52 AM.

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    I assumed he was thinking of the likely large group of Irish visitors to Moscow later this year, rather than separatist paramilitaries seeing more advantage in Irish casulaties than any other.
    He was, yeah. So going to an Ireland game is now a major risk to your life? I think that's deluded scaremongering at best. Remember Russia just won the 2018 World Cup - can you imagine what'll happen to their tourist figures for that competition if there was a major incident at a (relatively) big football match in the meantime? I'd argue that if anything, Russia is now one of the safer nations to travel to for a qualifier.

I think mypost's subsequent posts on the topic have shown him to be ignorant and hyper-reactive. Avoiding London? Dismissing any travel to India, seemingly on the basis that it's below him? ("I don't travel to India"). That's my gripe with the original post.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    So going to an Ireland game is now a major risk to your life?
    This is a strawman argument.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    It just reminds us that Moscow is a dangerous place[...]They would love the publicity of a few Irish casualties if they attacked again in September
    At worst, I've exaggerated his post. I don't think I've completely misrepresented it. But for clarity, my argument is based on reading the above post as indicating that mypost fears a terrorist attack - with resultant loss of life - targetting Irish fans at the upcoming qualifier. I think that fear is a knee-jerk, groundless one.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Somewhat related and very, very funny: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01...uicide_bomber/
    A suicide bomber's plan to detonate explosives in Central Moscow on New Year's Eve was foiled when she received an unexpected text message that caused her deadly payload to blow up too early, according to news reports.
    Happy New Year indeed.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Mr. A, this only emerged through Russian state media and today has been rubbished as FSB wet dreams. There was an explosion at a Moscow apartment before New Years, this woman was part of a Pakistan trained al-Qaeda group. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, was released about this at the time, which is completely the opposite of what happens here. This was leaked to a Guardian journo during the week and was spread around, until the media, including the normally Kremlin-subservient Russia Today exposed it as having less veracity that was being claimed.

I stand by the assertion that this was a business target. At a time with low tourist potential and for maximum effect.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    It's a key game in the group, our fans have travelled everywhere in all economies, with far worse teams and coaches than we currently have. They went to Moscow in 85 when we hadn't a pot to pis in, on or off the pitch, so they'll go there in September, and have the patience of job with the terrorist threat, the visa bureaucracy, and the other things that come with visiting Russia.
    Except I know plenty of people who regularly go to away games, say 100, of which 15-20 max. would be off to Moscow.
    So don't believe the hype!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    So going to an Ireland game is now a major risk to your life? I think that's deluded scaremongering at best. Remember Russia just won the 2018 World Cup - can you imagine what'll happen to their tourist figures for that competition if there was a major incident at a (relatively) big football match in the meantime? I'd argue that if anything, Russia is now one of the safer nations to travel to for a qualifier.

I think mypost's subsequent posts on the topic have shown him to be ignorant and hyper-reactive.
    I can't see what them winning being handed the WC has to do with it. The security situation there may have stabilised by then, but if it hasn't, the same advice applies. Our fans were attacked out there last time by skinheads, and may be again, so there's that side to the trip to take account of also.

6 weeks after our game there last time, Nord-Ost was targeted, just over 6 months before we go there, an international airport has been targeted. Last year, the Metro was targeted. In the meantime, there's been various random attacks on trains and planes in Russia. So this is not a pleasant hop to Scandinavia or the low countries we're talking about. It's Moscow, it's far, expensive, bureaucratic, requires the patience of job in an environment unlike anywhere else in Europe we play, and extra security measures should be taken. The dfa advises everyone to be cautious when out there for very good reason, and it would be foolish to disregard that advice.

Ten Years Not Out

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Have to agree strongly with MP on his last point.

And besides the machinations of Bl*tter and his shower of c*nts, questionable to some extent Russia getting the 2018 WC. As in they have considerable internal security issues, not least in Moscow. Which aren't always reported as it doesn't suit the Western news media.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12