Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Brian Buckley

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Brian Buckley

How come when Limerick are in Dire need of new players...Nobody from Limerick FC has approached Brian Buckley Of Fairview ...Alan Reynolds (waterford Utd Manager) has approached him to go there ...surely if he is good enough for them ...he is good enough for Limerick..Time to get the finger out lads and get in new talent...starting with at least asking Brian Buckley

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy
    How come when Limerick are in Dire need of new players...Nobody from Limerick FC has approached Brian Buckley Of Fairview ...Alan Reynolds (waterford Utd Manager) has approached him to go there ...surely if he is good enough for them ...he is good enough for Limerick..Time to get the finger out lads and get in new talent...starting with at least asking Brian Buckley
    How do you know that nobody from Limerick has approached him?

However, from what I understand from other posts here the LDMC have a rule preventing players from moving from eircom League clubs back to junior football within 2 seasons (?). May be wrong on the time but it is very penal on players who want to try to make the step up because if they don't get regular football (and Buckley would not get regular football at Waterford) then they can be left in a limbo for a long period of time.

Every so often there are posts here that Limerick should sign such and such a player. They should get the finger out and sign some lads from junior clubs.

Firstly, the club is in a bad financial state (in case you hadn't noticed) - worse I would say than Fairview (given their clubhouse money and lack of travel expenses).

Secondly, maybe these players don't want to play for Limerick so telling Limerick to just sign them is a bit unfair. Buckley is a sort of hero in Fairview circles. He plays with a a successful team and gets lots of attention. He is undoubtedly a very fine player. If he signs for Limerick suddenly he is anonymous in the city and has to struggle for results. Paul Finucane is a much much better player than Buckley but gets half the attention.

Thirdly, most junior players are not good enough for the eL (granted some are - and if they are you have to wonder why haven't they been signed by someone).
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I know because i was talking to him and Waterford are the only team to approach him...Yes you are right LDMC have a rule (ridiculous one at that) and i did not state that Limerick should just sign him.I said they should at least approach him ...which they havent..and to say that Paul Finucane is a lot better...well thats your opinion..Im sure Buckley would cope extremely well with Limerick..Paul Finnucane and Brian Buckley cannot be compared until Bucley makes the step up..And finally much worse Junior Players than Brian Buckley eg Mike Aherne, have made the step up and done Fairly ok...Lets face it Aherne would not get on the Fairview team well not in the defence anyway...Maybe on the right hand side of midfield cos they are struggling a bit there this year..All im saying is that when Limerick have n money ..u would think they would at least ask the good Junior players ...Im sure there wage demands are not that big haha..but i do agree that LDMC rule is a joke but they are a law on to themselves and something should be done about them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

buckley

I too have been talking to Brian over the last few days and he would indeed love to try out for limerick but for that LDMC rule and i could understand his views. I am a fan of Brians but he is very light and needs a touch center half alongside him and i dont think Finni is that sort of player. This is why Timmi Lynch is comming at the end of this month. Why wuld any player from the local league want to sign with limerick if he knew that if it doesnt work out he cant play football again for 18 ****in months. Waterford arnt looking at Buckley anyway (well not for their first team) its Harmon there after (fairview winger, ex limerick wouldnt train also plays for claughan in football) scarves in lads 12 euro a pop....a snip at that!
    Last edited by gael353; 25/05/2004 at 2:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Can I ask what may seem a dumb question but does the LDMC rule refer to Limerick senior football or all eircom league clubs?
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    That LDMC rule could be easily challenged in court as you are preventing a player from his right to play amateur, non professional football. It's a Bullsh1t rule.

If Limerick can't sign the likes of Buckley, there's no hope for us at all.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As far as i know the rule does not apply in any other Junior League...The Gods up in Jackman decided this for some reason just to **** people off i think

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor
    That LDMC rule could be easily challenged in court as you are preventing a player from his right to play amateur, non professional football. It's a Bullsh1t rule.

If Limerick can't sign the likes of Buckley, there's no hope for us at all.
    In fairness I can understand why such a rule would exist. Picture the situation, Pike in the final few games of the season. Need to win and have a clsoe contact in Limerick FC or in any other eL club. Buy in a couple of fringe eL players for the run-in to the league campaign or to win the Lawson Cup or something. Then when its over the players go back to Limerick FC. That is what they are trying to avoid. It is avoided in junior circles by a player being cup-tied if he plays for another team in the same cup competition - but that would not apply for senior teams. It avoids a situation where a club packs a team with bangers.

This could be more possible due to the switch to summer football.

I agree though that the rule is having detrimental effects much greater than the problem they are trying to prevent. An alternative may be to apply the rule only where the player is with the eL club for less than 6 months or 4 months - but if he is with the eL club longer than that then he canmake the switch back with no absence required. This would give junior players an opportunity to see if things work out and if not they are not penalised.

By the way, it can't be challenged in court because the clubs are not employers and so is not a restarint on the movement of labour. Nobody has a "right" to play amateur football. I presume of course you are not implying that Fairview pay their players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Now might be a good time to approach Buckley as Fairview’s interest in the FAI cup has just ended last Sunday when Wayside Celtic beat them 2 0 in Limerick.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    If an individual player tested the case in court, i'm sure he'd have a fairly good chance of winning. After all, any player doing so would probobaly no longer be employed or wanted by Limerick FC, so in effect he'd be in limbo and there'd be no reason not to allow him play junior football again. Am I right in saying that Limerick only hand out season long contracts, on a season-to-season basis?

In Buckley's case, I can't see him not lasting 2 seasons with Limerick. He's a very good young player, so I don't see what the problem is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In Buckley's case, I can't see him not lasting 2 seasons with Limerick. He's a very good young player, so I don't see what the problem is.
    I agree. But I think the two seasons thing refers to the length of time that he would unable to play for a junior club (I am open to correction on the actual length of time). So that means when he leaves Limerick he would have to wait 2 seasons before he could play for Fairview or any other LDMC team agian.

My suggestion is that this 2 season waiting period would only apply if the player was with Limerick for less than 4 or 6 months.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It is a most ridiculous rule and I'm sure it could be successfully challenged.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Well you can be guaranteed that if we were a premier division club with a much higher profile (and a much more competent committee), that this rule would be challenged, and challenged successfully at that. But wer're not, so the rule stays in place.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well you can be guaranteed that if we were a premier division club with a much higher profile (and a much more competent committee), that this rule would be challenged, and challenged successfully at that. But wer're not, so the rule stays in place.....
    There's the rub. If we were a premier division club with a higher profile we wouldn't need junior players and also they would be mad keen to sign for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

i think

i think the rule is a 18 month ban on players who have played professional or semi professional or just with Limerick FC returning to the league administered by the LDMC. But, i belive that the FAI, Limerick FC and the LDMC are meeting soon to discuse this problem. The big "problem" was mr Willie Grimes (Grimey) who put the rule in place but has now departed the LDMC so maybe, thats maybe some more level headed person has taken over. To be honest i think the LDMC should have sold up De Jacks and bought Hogan Park as it would have been 3 pitches to develope local soccer with plenty of development scope. I still think they should et rid of De Jacks and come on board with the supporters Club and together we will drive Limerick Football Forward. Just my opinion