Thread: Rugby 2011

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Bet 20 they would beat aus beforehand.
    After-eventer's always win.

A fantastic perfomance, makes you wonder what they've been at all year. Still questions over our creativity, but knock-out rugby tends to be more forward orientated anyway so who knows what can happen now. I just wonder about the NZ v France game next Saturday - will they be playing to lose now that Aus / SA are on the Pool A winners side???

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Nope i did, as anyone who knows me offline can vouch for

I just don't really post on any forum other than Ireland now.

I think they are capable of beating anyone, but its a mental thing with them. They seem to need to have extra motivational factors, and that extra lift drives them on, gives the forwards more strenght, and gives them that little bit more when the big hits are needed.

Its a pity there isn't a level of consistency with that, but perhaps thats a good thing.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I don't think so Paul, consistency is a good thing and a better place to be.

A one off performance from Ireland who performed out of their skins to beat a somewhat weakened Australia, who buckled under pressure. Maybe it's a road to Damascus moment for Ireland or more likely they'll get edged out in the quarter finals or hammered emphatically by a better team in the semis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    The only teams Ireland should fear are France (potential semi finalists), New Zealand and the Boks. The latter 2 will hopefully be on the other side of the draw so I wouldn't mind seeing one of them in the final!

Ireland at full strength will have too much for Wales and England. The squad is littered with HC winners and when they click they are a real force. However if they went into the Welsh/England clash without their first choice back row forwards I'd worry. The same if Ross didn't make it.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    I just wonder about the NZ v France game next Saturday - will they be playing to lose now that Aus / SA are on the Pool A winners side???
    I don't think it's really changed anything. Winning the group is still the optimum outcome for both of those sides. It just means they'll have to play the Boks or Australia in the semis rather than the final. It's arguably better, considering they'll knock the crap out of one another in the quarters and likely sustain a couple of injuries apiece.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I don't think so Paul, consistency is a good thing and a better place to be.

A one off performance from Ireland who performed out of their skins to beat a somewhat weakened Australia, who buckled under pressure. Maybe it's a road to Damascus moment for Ireland or more likely they'll get edged out in the quarter finals or hammered emphatically by a better team in the semis.
    Ya but rugby is one of those sports where complacency can have a huge impact on the outcome. A bit like the French, remember when they went out and beat the odds on kiwis, albeit with the help of the ref.

Don't come back and remind me what happened next though
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 19/09/2011 at 12:56 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Not sure you can perform to that level game in, game out with the playing pool we have. They're better off trying to peak for specific games imo.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    That would be achieving consistency, being able to peak for specific games.
    I think the rugby team did manage it for the 6 nations in recent years, but it's hard to measure that as France are not shy to use the 6 nations to blood a new look team. Strange though that NZ have bottled it at the WC level, time after time.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Permutations in England, Scotland & ARG group:

•If Scotland lose to England without a losing bonus point they are out of the World Cup
    •If Scotland lose to England with a losing bonus point and Argentina lose against Georgia, Scotland go through
    •If Scotland draw with England, they need Argentina to lose against Georgia
    •If Scotland and Argentina both win without a bonus point, it will come down to points difference between the three teams, though England are way out in front That's ridiculous in my opinion. How you do against the minnows should have no bearing in this scenario.
    •If Scotland and Argentina win with bonus points, and England do not earn a losing bonus point, England are out

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...n/15041494.stm
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 25/09/2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Found out answer myself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I like that unlikely last permutation. Just finished watching our game.

Two words.

Leamy. Donkey.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Leamy donkeyed through the Russians alright. Glad to see the locals do well, they deserved a few points but every time Ireland stepped up the pressure they were able to score. Leaving provincial bias aside, I'd bench Sexton for the next match, Boss is good but a reserve, while it was good to see Leo Cullen prove he's ready to jump in for DOC or POC. Jamie Heaslip seemed a bit lost at times, McFadden was okay but is a bit dodgy at defending, Robbie Kearney to could be faulted for that. It was just good to see Ireland put a resiliant team to the sword and now I worry for the Russkis against Australia. It could be up around 100 points.

Was it just me or did it look like France threw the game yesterday? If they did it'll backfire on them. I keep thinking of Croatia in 1996.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Looked like that to me re France when I started watching it from around the first 19 min.

Watching my recording of it last night I think though that they were unlucky in the first 8 min when Rolland made some glaring errors and if given France could've been at least 7 and maybe 12-0 up at that stage. Not surprised they wilted at that stage to be honest.

I would start Jonny to show confidence in him. To drop him would be detrimental to us in the QF.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    It's on tv here now (highlights) and apart from a couple of half decent plays in the 1st half, they looked dreadful. At 29-10 (early in the 2nd) the AB's were wobbling and lost a bit of shape, but France simply slowed the ball. But man they're dangerous when they start to move it out wide, though in the warm up matches with Ireland I was certain that we'd take them. Agree on Rolland, now even in the 2nd he's favouring the home side.

Not sure about Jonny, against Australia he showed he has heart etc, and his tackling is less suspect than ROG, I just think ROG will be a safer bet with the boot - especially on the fly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I'd still rather start Jonny for the psychological reasons alone. ROG can still come on.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Maybe Johnny could successfully try to psyche himself up to strike a proper penalty kick, but he's utter shíte at that crucial aspect of the game, therefore i'd say O'Gara has the position wrapped up. I appreciate that Sexton can defend better than O'Gara but how many times can you tolerate him bottling another straight forward penalty kick. What do rugby fans do, go to the toilet for 5 minutes while Johnny goes through his routine?

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    You could see that he was going to miss that con for Buckley's try.

I still think he's going to go with Sexton.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Maybe McGeady could successfully try to psyche himself up to strike a proper cross, but he's utter shíte at that crucial aspect of the game, therefore i'd say Hunt has the position wrapped up. I appreciate that McGeady can defend well but how many times can you tolerate him bottling another straight forward cross. What do Ireland fans do, go to the toilet for 5 minutes while McGeady goes through his routine?
    FYP

At least Sexton has made significant contributions for us in the past, like kicking all 15 points against South Africa. Strange, however, that you would happily defend a performer like McGeady to the death, even though it could be argued that this represents the zenith of his international career thus far.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Maybe Johnny could successfully try to psyche himself up to strike a proper penalty kick, but he's utter shíte at that crucial aspect of the game, therefore i'd say O'Gara has the position wrapped up. I appreciate that Sexton can defend better than O'Gara but how many times can you tolerate him bottling another straight forward penalty kick. What do rugby fans do, go to the toilet for 5 minutes while Johnny goes through his routine?
    Def agree. strange that this still has to be debated - I mean how many chances does the lad need to have to gain some confidence. Also Thrimble is another lightweight, fast but can he tackle?

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    You could see that he was going to miss that con for Buckley's try.

I still think he's going to go with Sexton.
    Oh No! say it ain't so!

Should Ireland get through to the 1/4 finals after beating Italy, they (some rugby critics) say that Sexton would be more suited to the probable 1/4 final opponents Wales, because the nasty Welsh are cute enough to exploit O'Gara's weakness. Will Johnny have used up all the rope that Kidney has given him by then?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think Sexton will play because Kidney decided two years ago he was going to be the 10 going forward. He's blinked in the past but I don't think he will this time. Sexton's all-round game has been good so far, it's just his goal-kicking that's let him down. He gets the backline moving more than O'Gara can.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast