Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summary of clubs in difficulty at the moment

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,082 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    How much did the Trust raise last year? And how many people are involved?
    Somewhere around 80 or 90 members I think at the moment. They've been keeping quiet on figures as they've been negotiating deals with creditors and don't want to be seen as gloating about it. They've eliminated a good bit of the debt over the past couple of years from what I've heard.

2. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Jayz. That's a decent membership given ye get crowds of 200-300!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Don't know what the story is with Athlone.
    They've just appointed Mike Kerley as manager so I'd say it's safe to assume they'll be in major difficulty soon enough. Gate receipts will fall sharply after the first few defeats to Salthill and Mervue. Sorry, Athlone fans, I wish you the best, but that man is THE worst manager of all-time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Somewhere around 80 or 90 members I think at the moment. They've been keeping quiet on figures as they've been negotiating deals with creditors and don't want to be seen as gloating about it. They've eliminated a good bit of the debt over the past couple of years from what I've heard.
    Is this Trust going to be running the club going forward, or is it already? It's good to hear the club are getting close to a sound financial footing. The Drog's might want to have a look at what ye've been at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemovie View Post
    They've just appointed Mike Kerley as manager so I'd say it's safe to assume they'll be in major difficulty soon enough. Gate receipts will fall sharply after the first few defeats to Salthill and Mervue. Sorry, Athlone fans, I wish you the best, but that man is THE worst manager of all-time.
    No he isnt.

Can't see gate receipts falling too sharply from the might 80 or so that attended their final game of last season.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Mike Kerley who took Limerick to the play-offs with a squad of ten players? Thought that was a decent enough appointment myself.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Exactly.

Amazing second half to his first year with Limerick, poor second year in shocking circumstance, disaster below in Waterford, mildly successful second stint in Limerick, was a lunatic to quit when he did.

It's patchy but it's not the cv of the worst manager ever.

Overall, if Athlone can keep him from having one of his funny turns he'll do alright, the football will be a refreshing change aswell.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Mike Kerley who took Limerick to the play-offs with a squad of ten players? Thought that was a decent enough appointment myself.
    That's what we thought when we got him! I didn't want to reply to Lim till I die cos it's too far off-topic, but here's a brief one. Maybe I'll rephrase to far and away Waterford's worst ever manager (and we've had millions), but any Blues fan will refer to him as "the worst manager ever". Great first season with Limerick, but since then? Not only was his record at Waterford Played 17 Won 0 Drew 3 Lost 14 (including 10 in a row before he left), but in several of those matches, we didn't have a single shot on target, he ruined players' confidence, their fitness and discipline was shocking (as said by his replacement and admitted by players) and yet he promised we'd finish in the top half of the Premier Division. I thought his Limerick team a few years ago were poor. Scully has done miles better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    He was Dolan's assistant at Cork too wasn't he?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Is this Trust going to be running the club going forward, or is it already? It's good to hear the club are getting close to a sound financial footing. The Drog's might want to have a look at what ye've been at.
    I think the trust is a totally separate entity from the Club and the running of it.
    Sporting F*ck All!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Thanks for the clarification on the UEFA licences, while I don't want to begrudge Pats a spot in Europe, I also don't want to see Bohs go out on a technicality, though it worked for Dundalk last year and I couldn't complain. No club is ever safe and I wonder how any club would get on with the removal of a backer, if UCD lost the taxpayers they'd be in real trouble. Fingal sound like they're going to be alright, thankfully. A question on Galway, how much are they really in debt? I was told they're carrying in excess of half a millin euros but read here a million. So what's the real figure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemovie View Post
    I thought his Limerick team a few years ago were poor. Scully has done miles better.
    The one that beat ye 5-1 and killed off your promotion hopes?? They were playing excellent football towards the end of that season in fairness

Also Scully has had many many multiples of his budget to work with I'd imagine. Having said that you give Mike a few bob and there's always every chance he'll spend it on nonsense.

Don't get me wrong I'm no big Mike Kerley fan, well aware of some of his fairly obvious flaws, I just thought worst manager of all time was a bit strong.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    He was Dolan's assistant at Cork too wasn't he?
    No. That was the other Limerick manager Noel O'Connor who's now at Wexford. The link to this thread may be tenuous, but if Athlone want their attendances to increase, their fans deserve better than Brendan Place and Mike Kerley. Kerley says his teams play good football, but we never had the ball when he was in charge so we didn't play football of any kind.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    733 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    No club is ever safe and I wonder how any club would get on with the removal of a backer, if UCD lost the taxpayers they'd be in real trouble.
    Yeah, it'd be terrible. We wouldn't have the money to enter a team into the intervarsities, and my years of completely ignoring the Collingwood Cup would come to a middle.

18. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,082 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.F.C. View Post
    I think the trust is a totally separate entity from the Club and the running of it.
    Yeah it's different people than are involved in the running of the club. They have no plans to get involved day to day, they don't need the hassle. As regards the numbers there's a fair few that signed up that don't even go to matches but would have goodwill towards the club. Even John Delaney is a member!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    The one that beat ye 5-1 and killed off your promotion hopes??
    I thought Scully had taken over by then. My mistake. One of my favourite memories of Magic Mike is him sending out Paul Ometeso and Andy Polewczak to take on Kevin Hunt and Gareth Farrelly in midfield in Dalymount. Lambs, slaughter.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Bohs
    Biggest question?
    What happens if Bohs don’t get premier license? They be in first division with huge contracts and without the six figure sums raised by fans? Are Bohs effectively blackmailing the league. License must be an issue for them, otherwise why mention it?
    A big question to my mind is the exact link between paying (or agreeing) outstanding money to players and the licensing requirements. There must be a cut-off date.

Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Dodge, not 100% certain (nobody is at Dalymount ) but think the following is where we are at - Some of the funds raised went to pay players for November (players were originally told they could/would not be paid once season ended).
    Could it be that the payment of players to end November is significant in that it complies with licensing requirements cut-off (i.e. footballing debts incurred after 30 Nov not relevent for 2012 licensing)?

Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Unless deal done with all players then we cant apply for a licence so there would be less (no ?) urgency in doing any deal with players at all. As has been said elsewhere an element of brinkmanship between the parties (club and players) which may run all the way to end January. Not a chance members/fans could raise enough to complete deal with players so if loan deal does not work they are not getting paid (our next fixture would be the courts)
    Outside of 3/4 players that resign on reduced terms I dont think we will have any budget for next season.
    Apart from reaching agreement with the players I am unaware of anything stopping us getting a licence.

Has there been any clarification from Bohs as to whether a license has been applied for or not?

Suerly there could well be a myriad of reasons why license may not be granted - SCP, late/no license application, lack of sustainability of 2012 club budget, perceived inability to meet 2012 commitments, absense of tax clearance certification etc etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    any questions about the other teams at all Ezekial or just obsessed with Bohs?

Anyway,

A big question to my mind is the exact link between paying (or agreeing) outstanding money to players and the licensing requirements. There must be a cut-off date.
    Of course theres a cut off date. From my recollections of the Cork occasion, I believe it is early February. I also believe the ILC granted extensions to Cork after the official deadline.

Could it be that the payment of players to end November is significant in that it complies with licensing requirements cut-off (i.e. footballing debts incurred after 30 Nov not relevent for 2012 licensing)?
    I presume you meant 2011 licensing. I think that Nov 30th signifies the end of one season of the 2 season contracts with the players in question as it was the date that we released all our free agents. I could be wrong but i know that one of the pre-conditions for the first step of applying for a license was payment in full of players up to November 30th. Im almost sure we would have to be fully up to date and/or have reached a settlement with those players still in contract to be successful in our application.

Has there been any clarification from Bohs as to whether a license has been applied for or not?
    yes. There have been numerous press releases from Bohs that mentioned our appication for a 2011 license.

Suerly there could well be a myriad of reasons why license may not be granted - SCP, late/no license application, lack of sustainability of 2012 club budget, perceived inability to meet 2012 commitments, absense of tax clearance certification etc etc
    of course there are (not that your list is necessarily any or all of those reasons). What MB was saying is that if we can settle with the players then that is the biggest stumbling block for Bohemians as far as licensing goes.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    I thought i read somewhere at the end of november/start of December from the Fai saying that they couldnt do anything to Bohs regarding Licence as up to that deadline Bohs had been in order. Possible come the next deadline Bohs will have paid up and will get a Premier licence and get down to business for the new season. The last i heard was that Fenlon was talking to a few potential new players so he must know something that we dont.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lep View Post
    I thought i read somewhere at the end of november/start of December from the Fai saying that they couldnt do anything to Bohs regarding Licence as up to that deadline Bohs had been in order. Possible come the next deadline Bohs will have paid up and will get a Premier licence and get down to business for the new season. The last i heard was that Fenlon was talking to a few potential new players so he must know something that we dont.
    That sounds like the "F" word.

Also someone asked about us at Tolka, We're there for the forseeable- Unless someone else from the club can confirm?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast