Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Doherty D Wolves b.1992

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Winks is grand, does the simple things well, has a bit of creativity and invention. He’s not great or anything but I’d imagine he’d be starting for us if he was irish...
    no he wouldnt plus he cant protect the back 4 and it was heavily exposed yesterday. He plays there only because of nationality

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Heavily exposed? Newcastle had one shot on target, and that was the crazy penalty in the 97th minute. I don't think Winks' primary role is to protect the back four anyway, Hojbjerg did that job particularly well.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Heavily exposed? Newcastle had one shot on target, and that was the crazy penalty in the 97th minute. I don't think Winks' primary role is to protect the back four anyway, Hojbjerg did that job particularly well.
    For me the guy is a fragile player , Holbjerg is a caudillo i understand, but Winks wouldnt be a starter for Eire, theres one circunstance where he made a huge mistake with Joelinton yesterday. Doherty cover great the line and this chap was driibbled out and tricked by the brazilian so easily. Amateur stuff almost 1-1....i say get the yellow you are the frantic holding midfielder.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    What is a caudillo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    What is a caudillo?
    Military dictator. I've never heard it used in sport, but I could imagine it being analogous to 'midfield general'.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Caudillo is a democratic leader with great moral and ethic and a silver tongue. José Mujica is a caudillo in politics,
    It is used in spanish football to talk about a charismatic leader .... a goalie, midfielder ,defender or forward. Usually a seasoned player with positive influence among others. Liam Brady and Frank Stapleton were caudillos. Ivan Zamorano was a caudillo for Chile. Dwight Yorke for T and Tobago. Ryan Nelsen for the all whites, Schmeichel and Chilavert etc etc

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Charismatic. Silver tongued. Frank Stapleton. Words you never expect to hear used together.

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Charismatic. Silver tongued. Frank Stapleton. Words you never expect to hear used together.
    Agreed, and I’b be a huge fan of Frank Stapleton’s football ability even if I am looking back with rose tinted glasses ! !

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Very composed game as a right back, still a bit low in confidence when attacking, but the mcneil dude was always marking him when overlapping

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    some thoughts from spurs fans:

He was expected to be first choice but he has found the transition to a full back in back 4 tough. He's struggling to find the balance between attack and defence and is doing neither terribly well. I think he may still be preferred against Burnley and other teams with more of an aerial threat. He's better in the air vs aurier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    Caudillo is a democratic leader with great moral and ethic and a silver tongue. José Mujica is a caudillo in politics,
    It is used in spanish football to talk about a charismatic leader .... a goalie, midfielder ,defender or forward. Usually a seasoned player with positive influence among others. Liam Brady and Frank Stapleton were caudillos. Ivan Zamorano was a caudillo for Chile. Dwight Yorke for T and Tobago. Ryan Nelsen for the all whites, Schmeichel and Chilavert etc etc
    Brady has as much charisma as a drowned trout.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Two yellows led to a sending off for Doherty. Didn’t affect the win (happened near end of match). Not ideal as he is just re-establishing himself after his time out due to COVID.

Lots of rotation this time of year so shouldn’t be catastrophic but hasn’t necessarily been a smooth move to Spurs so far.

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Pretty clear now that Doc is best as a wing back and that Seamus is still our best right back?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I think so, yes. I was 50/50 between the two last year but I think it's clear now that Doherty's abilities as a wing back don't really transfer to a back four to the same extent. He still offers useful cover for both full back positions though.

The option of going three at the back will no doubt come up again given that we have a lot of decent centre backs now, natural wing backs on both sides and nobody obvious to play centre forward in the short term with McGoldrick gone. The arguments in favour of it are probably stronger than they were previously. But Kenny strikes me as having no genuine interest in deviating from his preferred 4-3-3/4-5-1 setup. To be fair to him, with limited time to work with the players, switching formation at international level is more difficult than at club level.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

17. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    For 3-5-2 you need centre-halves who are very comfortable on the ball. We have Shane Duffy. The idea that we have two guys who are slightly better wing backs than they are full backs so we should change the formation to suit them is barmy.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    For 3-5-2 you need centre-halves who are very comfortable on the ball. We have Shane Duffy. The idea that we have two guys who are slightly better wing backs than they are full backs so we should change the formation to suit them is barmy.
    Fortunately, considering his form we have more than Shane Duffy.

I wonder as he gets older can Doherty play as a Centre Back. He is a decent size fellow and he stood in there for us in an emergency situation ( only part of a game I know ) and did well. It would be a handy string to his bow if he could.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Who would play right wing back then?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts

Ya, I'm not saying I necessarily think it's a good idea, just that it will inevitably come up again partly due to Doherty's struggles as an out and out right back, with McGoldrick retiring and with the emergence of Collins and O'Shea who could both be reasonably described as ball playing centre backs.

Also, I wouldn't be advocating playing Duffy as a centre back in Kenny's system going forward regardless of whether it's a back four or a back three. He just doesn't suit the style of play we're going to employ and will always be targeted by the opposition.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Ya, I'm not saying I necessarily think it's a good idea, just that it will inevitably come up again partly due to Doherty's struggles as an out and out right back, with McGoldrick retiring and with the emergence of Collins and O'Shea who could both be reasonably described as ball playing centre backs.

Also, I wouldn't be advocating playing Duffy as a centre back in Kenny's system going forward regardless of whether it's a back four or a back three. He just doesn't suit the style of play we're going to employ and will always be targeted by the opposition.
    I don't disagree but in a three CB system he's going to be needed regardless because everyone won't always be fit. England have a dozen defenders who are comfortable playing three at the back - we might too in time, but we don't now.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Who would play right wing back then?
    Séamas Coleman.

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast