Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Doherty D Wolves b.1992

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Aurier was allowed to get forward. Have Wolves reached their ceiling? They would be my two counter points to that. But I am uncertain. A few extra pound and a higher profile London club. Can't blame him on a personal level.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    543 Posts
    could go either way, both points made here are valid - but i feel if you're ambitious like i'm sure he is, you have to take the move. while he is flying now, he's probably never gonna get to a higher level with Wolves than he currently is, in terms of personal performance and achievement, and in terms of personal recognition, the fact he plays for Wolves probably doesn't do him any favours. After Trent Alexander-Arnold, he's been the best right back since he arrived in the league and yet, outside Ireland he's rarely in the discussion in that regard. you'd imagine it's the one big chance he'll have to really move up the ladder so to speak and while unlikely, if he performs at a really high level for Spurs next season, there's a greater chance than an even bigger door will open for him than had he stayed at Wolves...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Aren’t Wolves Loaded with some Wealthy Backer ? ?

Mourinho is as nearly likely to destroy a player as make a player ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Bottom line, footballing quality of the teams aside, he’ll get a nice signing bonus and a big pay hike. Hopefully he can help Spurs to CL and push on personally and for his club.

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    He will be playing right back consistently too. Might be able to nail the position down for Ireland for the next 4 years and maybe even move his number of international caps into double digits!

Ah, it's a great move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    looks like the €15m fee has been agreed this evening.
    if mourinho can suck the attacking mindset out of a winger like duff i shudder to think what he will do to the attacking instincts of a full back like doherty. dreadful move in my opinion.
    Did he though? Duff had one of his best seasons under Mourinho and thinks very highly of him, granted he eventually left as he feared for his place in the side. Chelsea were in the process of signing players Mourinho himself didn't even want by then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Aurier was allowed to get forward.
    True. And any defensive shortcomings Doherty might have will still be an improvement on Aurier, surely.

Have Wolves reached their ceiling?
    I know they've been well backed financially, it's obviously got them to where they are, but I don't think they're capable of Manchester City/Chelsea levels of investment? I think it's kind of difficult to see them moving on to the next level, which is basically CL football.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    742 Posts
    I don't have an issue with Doherty playing under Mourinho, I think Spurs could potentially be a great move for him. My issue with Mourinho has always been his unwillingness or inability to develop youth players into his first team, not his dealings with senior first team players.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Did he though? Duff had one of his best seasons under Mourinho and thinks very highly of him, granted he eventually left as he feared for his place in the side. Chelsea were in the process of signing players Mourinho himself didn't even want by then.
    Is it true that Chelsea stopped Duff going to Spurs or is that just one of those rumours ? ?

I wonder were Chelsea concerned about Duff’s injury profile and is that why they let him leave. His injury profile at Newcastle afterwards could possibly suggest that was a factor. Newcastle seem to have to settle for signing some players with dodgy injury profiles because a lot of the other top players won’t go there otherwise ! !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    742 Posts
    Doherty confirmed as a Spurs player, four year deal. One of the value signings of the summer if the fee being quoted is correct. Great to see us have a senior first team player with a "big 6" club, it's been far too long - nine years since O'Shea left United unless I'm forgetting anyone else?

Hopefully this is the start of a trend and we will see a few more go the same way in the next few years.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Doherty confirmed as a Spurs player, four year deal. One of the value signings of the summer if the fee being quoted is correct. Great to see us have a senior first team player with a "big 6" club, it's been far too long - nine years since O'Shea left United unless I'm forgetting anyone else?

Hopefully this is the start of a trend and we will see a few more go the same way in the next few years.
    There's not much difference other than perception between Spurs and Wolves at the moment. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Wolves finish higher than them this season and Mourinho is replaced before the season ends.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    742 Posts
    It could go either way, but the other way of looking at it is that Spurs played in a Champions League final a year ago with much of the squad they have now whereas I thought Wolves looked like they had reached the limit of their abilities in the Europa League knockouts a few weeks ago.

This seems like a definite step up for me - Spurs can challenge for the Champions League places next season, I'm not convinced that Wolves realistically can.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Is it true that Chelsea stopped Duff going to Spurs or is that just one of those rumours ? ?

I wonder were Chelsea concerned about Duff’s injury profile and is that why they let him leave.
    Spurs were interested but Duff himself felt he couldn't join such a close rival. Chelsea wanted Duff to stay, it was his own choice to leave and one he regrets - https://www.the42.ie/damien-duff-mov...39562-Jul2020/

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Spurs were interested but Duff himself felt he couldn't join such a close rival. Chelsea wanted Duff to stay, it was his own choice to leave and one he regrets - https://www.the42.ie/damien-duff-mov...39562-Jul2020/
    Who advised him to go to the Newcastle graveyard ? ?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I read that Doherty's agent Jorge Mendes, the so-called "super agent", advises Wolves' owners, is Nuno Espirito Santo's agent and is Mourinho's agent. More conflicts of interest here than in an FAI executive recruitment exercise.

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I read that Doherty's agent Jorge Mendes, the so-called "super agent", advises Wolves' owners, is Nuno Espirito Santo's agent and is Mourinho's agent. More conflicts of interest here than in an FAI executive recruitment exercise.
    M’mmmm ? !

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Playing fairly advanced today against Everton. Has had a couple of dangerous moments. Played a nice one-two with Kane to get through on goal but Pickford closed him down and saved.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Playing fairly advanced today against Everton. Has had a couple of dangerous moments. Played a nice one-two with Kane to get through on goal but Pickford closed him down and saved.
    the bounce tricked him, should have scored

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    It wasn’t an error by Doherty. It was a good run, an excellent attempt, and a better save.

Certainly Doherty is being given far more freedom in this Spurs system than he had with us in the last two matches. Leaning more toward Coleman for us in October if we are playing a true flat four at the back. For the record Coleman is playing excellently as well today. Some crucial clearances/interventions.

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    There was one stage where Son took the ball to the byline after getting behind Coleman. Coleman recovered and made an excellent precise tackle.

Doherty is making hay on that flank because I think Everton are playing very narrow. They have effectively started four central players in midfield (Rodriguez, Doucoure, Gomes and Allan) and have two strikers up front. It looks like they are putting Richarlison out on the left to nullify him a bit now. High compliment.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast