Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Albums you're looking forward to 2011.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauro 76 View Post
    Can confirm Helplessness Blues by Fleet Foxes is wonderful.
    Yep - a great album. It has a bit of a darker edge to it than the first album. Its got that same timeless quality to it.

Enjoying the Vaccines album as well. A great debut and little indications within it that this band are only getting started. I think they have a lot more strings to their bow than the debut would have you believe. They're opening salvo consists of Ramones / Jesus and Mary Chain and a few 80's indie touches but I think they'll broaden their sound quite quickly.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I've not 'got into' the new fleet foxes album just yet. I put it on my iphone last night so I'll be able to listen to it a bit more.

Listened to morning glory for the first time in about 10 years yesterday and it's still the dogs ********.

What are the walkmen like? Worth listening to?
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Appropriately enough given their name, I've been spinning Graveyard's 'Hisingen Blues' album to death for the last month since it's release.

My expectations couldn't have been higher and they were comprehensively met.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Fleet Fozes one is sounding good so far alright. This year the latest one from Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti is great, and the one from Panda Bear is also nice, though I probably prefer Animal Collective stuff. Trying to get the new one from The Antlers but downloading here in China is difficult. Anyone heard it? Loved Hospice, and the reviews seem good...damn you Great Firewall
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Arctic Monkeys 'Suck It And See' out this week. Pretty good but prefererred Humbug myself.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Fleet Fozes one is sounding good so far alright. This year the latest one from Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti is great, and the one from Panda Bear is also nice, though I probably prefer Animal Collective stuff. Trying to get the new one from The Antlers but downloading here in China is difficult. Anyone heard it? Loved Hospice, and the reviews seem good...damn you Great Firewall
    nice beavis! love a. pink and the a.c. - animal collective and radiohead probably ruled the first decade of music in the new century, in these here headphones anyway. check out pink's earlier stuff if you don't have it, 'the doldrums' is great, just as good as 'before today' but wayyyy lower-fi.

you might also like sun araw's 'on patrol' (something like a cross between later era black dice and early a.c.) or james ferraro's 'night dolls with hairspray' - sort've a lo-fi horror high-school soundtrack in the vein of ariel pink's stuff.

although behind the red firewall, i'm not so sure how easy this will be to pick up..! good luck
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Arctic Monkeys 'Suck It And See' out this week. Pretty good but prefererred Humbug myself.
    There's some great tunes on there I haven't quite gotten in to it yet but I never really got into Humbug unfortunatley

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ken foree View Post
    nice beavis! love a. pink and the a.c. - animal collective and radiohead probably ruled the first decade of music in the new century, in these here headphones anyway. check out pink's earlier stuff if you don't have it, 'the doldrums' is great, just as good as 'before today' but wayyyy lower-fi.

you might also like sun araw's 'on patrol' (something like a cross between later era black dice and early a.c.) or james ferraro's 'night dolls with hairspray' - sort've a lo-fi horror high-school soundtrack in the vein of ariel pink's stuff.

although behind the red firewall, i'm not so sure how easy this will be to pick up..! good luck
    Nice 1 Ken! Great to get some tips from someone with similar (great) music taste. The language barrier here (and my inherent unsociability ) means I'm getting through a serious amount of music, so will definitely check out the Ariel Pink stuff (only heard the latest one) and get to the other recommendations too.

Just so it's not one way traffic, Halcyon Digest from Deerhunter out at the end of last year is a must if you like such music. Also the aformentioned Burst Apart from the Antlers is very good but I find they're not everyones cuppa tea.
    <insert witty remark>

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Liking the new album - some great Johnny Marr inspired lead guitar work on some of the tunes. Come to think of it, the vocal delivery on some of the songs is not unlike Morrisey either.

I think "Humbug" will end up like one of those albums that gains in critical stature the more time goes on - a bit like "Pinkerton" by Weezer, or "Modern Life is Rubbish" by Blur.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I was the same. I was really looking forward to that album but it turned out to be a disappointment. I've listened to it 4 or 5 times so it's hardly issue of it being a grower like previous Arctic Monkeys' albums. Turner needs to stop focusing stop heavily on the lyrics.

On another note, I can't wait for Coldplay's new album due out at the end of the year. They do an album every three years but they are worth the wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    New Half Man Half Biscuit LP '90 Bisodol (Crimond)' out in September
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Just got "Velociraptor!" by Kasabian.

After one solitary listen, gotta say its absolutely brilliant.

Wasn't sure if they'd repeat the quality of "West Pauper" but I think they may well have surpassed it here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    New Half Man Half Biscuit LP '90 Bisodol (Crimond)' out in September
    Arrived in the post the other day. Fantastic record. Excellent review and appraisal of HMHB here -including several soundcloud links etc.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Finally got my hands on Future Islands- On The Water.
    Excellent follow-up to the imperious In Evening Air which was going to be a tough act to follow.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456