Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Liam Boyce, ex-Cliftonville youngster, now at Werder Bremen

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts
    My 2c.... Would I rather have Evans or Gibson available for Ireland: Evans, by a mile.

Would I be bothered if neither were available? No.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Whatever.

Merely relying on anecdotal evidence of the few Man.U. fans I know who live in a virtually real world and actually go regularly.
    They've slated Brown, G.Neville and J.Evans this eason as they see them all as defensive liabilities. Unimpressed by Gibson, but not on the same scale. On a par with Carrick they tell me.

Perhaps Evans J. is like David Healey who plays far above himself, outside club football....

And no way in a million years they (Evans/Smalling) will replace Vidic and Ferdinand.
    Ah right, so I cite an MU fanzine, a broadsheet newspaper reporter and, ahem, Alex Ferguson to support my case, and you cite some (unnamed) "fans" you claim to know.

Do they live in your "virtually real world", too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Give it a rest lads. Arguing over which of 2 mediocre players is most mediocre...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Fair enough.

Meanwhile, back on topic:

Liam Boyce, Northern Ireland’s newest international recruit, said last night he’s as excited about meeting Manchester United defender Jonny Evans as he is by his call-up to the senior squad.

Northern Ireland manager Nigel Worthington has elevated the Werder Bremen striker to the squad for the Carling Nations Cup opener against Scotland in Dublin next Wednesday.

The 19-year-old former Cliftonville player, who joined Bremen last August, admitted he was “really excited” about meeting fellow professionals who ply their trade in the Barclays Premiership and SPL.

He added: “I’m delighted to be involved in the Northern Ireland squad and I have to admit it is something I had hoped might happen some day in my career.

“The past five months have been fantastic and now I’m going to be training with Jonny Evans and other top players I’m only used to seeing on television. It’s exciting; it feels like I have achieved another step up in my career.”

Boyce had shifted from modest Irish League venues to a high maintenance Bundesliga environment and is now preparing to make his international debut at the all-new Aviva Stadium.

He added: “I have never been to a Northern Ireland game and the only players I know to speak to are Niall McGinn [following a trail at Celtic last year] and Corry Evans, who was in the Under-21 international squad with me.

“I’m a bit nervous about meeting guys like Jonny Evans and David Healy but it’s an excitable nervousness because these are guys I have been in awe of throughout my youth.”

The former Immaculata player has remained grounded since his attractive move to Germany. A former grammar school student, he is breaking down the language barrier and considers himself settled. He added: “I’m living the dream. I know am still progressing but I am faster, stronger and sharper and I hope to show that if I get a chance to play against Scotland.”

Not that he will be allowed to get carried away with the hype — within an hour of his international call-up, the teenager had his former team-mates at Cliftonville seeking tickets to the fixture.

He added: “George [McMullan] and a few of the lads are coming down to the game. It will be great to see them and having them there will help me along.”

Read more: http://www.belfastte...l#ixzz1CnXn8WWy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    210 Posts
    “I have never been to a Northern Ireland game..."
    Interesting enough admission. At least he'll get to make his debut in the capital.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    210 Posts
    Came across this snippet in an article by Steven Beacom, concerning Boyce.

Another important reason for this call up is that it has been suggested the Republic of Ireland are interested in Boyce. They have taken a few Northern Ireland-qualified players down the years, such as Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy and Marc Wilson.
    I’m not sure any of the above will ever be inspiring figures for the Republic, but Liam Boyce certainly has the potential.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...#ixzz1Cu9y8UaA

Is Liam Boyce seriously going to be held up as some sort of coup for the IFA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    “I have never been to a Northern Ireland game..."
    Interesting enough admission. At least he'll get to make his debut in the capital.
    Yes, his away international debut, in the capital of the host team.

Whereas if/when he makes his home NI debut, not only will that be in NI's capital, but it will also be in his own home city.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Came across this snippet in an article by Steven Beacom, concerning Boyce.

Another important reason for this call up is that it has been suggested the Republic of Ireland are interested in Boyce. They have taken a few Northern Ireland-qualified players down the years, such as Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy and Marc Wilson.
    I’m not sure any of the above will ever be inspiring figures for the Republic, but Liam Boyce certainly has the potential.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...#ixzz1Cu9y8UaA

Is Liam Boyce seriously going to be held up as some sort of coup for the IFA?
    No. Beacom's just being a dick. As usual.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Ha ha. Wonder if Liam has spoken to McCourt & McGinn about their recent 'fanmail' ?? So he can at least warn Bundespost.

And doubtless Adam Barton and Lee Camp will also be held up as some sort of 'coup'. To be fair, they should get loads of caps.
    Given their paucity of future talent is possibly worse than even ours....

If Trap wasn't such an obstinate old c*nt, he should call up all 3 for a game. We're not much better, but at least we do have a decent stadium.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Ha ha. Wonder if Liam has spoken to McCourt & McGinn about their recent 'fanmail' ?? So he can at least warn Bundespost.
    Maybe he has: "... the only players I know to speak to are Niall McGinn... ... and Corry Evans, who was in the Under-21 international squad with me".
    In any case, injuries permitting, all three should be in Dublin next week, hoping to represent their country against Scotland.

And doubtless Adam Barton and Lee Camp will also be held up as some sort of 'coup'. To be fair, they should get loads of caps.
    Given their paucity of future talent is possibly worse than even ours....
    No more than, say, James McCarthy or Aidan McGeady was a "coup" for you.

Anyhow, I wouldn't give too much credence to Beacom's efforts to cobble together a "story" (or Predator's interpretation of same).

As for the two players, although his registration has been delayed (FIFA bureaucracy?), it looks as if we'll get Camp, who will be welcomed the same as any other player who qualifies through having a parent or grandparent from NI.

And re. Barton, he's apparently still undecided but as far as I'm concerned, if we get him, great, if we don't move on.

If Trap wasn't such an obstinate old c*nt, he should call up all 3 for a game.
    Maybe if Trap was a foreign manager himself, he'd be more receptive to selecting foreign players. No wait...

We're not much better, but at least we do have a decent stadium.....
    Personally, I'd rather watch my team win in a ramshackle stadium with a bit of atmosphere etc, than watch them lose in a shiny new construction that we can't even afford...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    And??

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    PS. 'Northern Ireland' may be an international soccer team. But it never has been or will be a 'country'. Except in this very ltd. sporting context.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    PS. 'Northern Ireland' may be an international soccer team.
    It's an "international football team", actually.

But it never has been or will be a 'country'. Except in this very ltd. sporting context.
    There's a Politics/Current Events section on this Forum, I believe (though I never go near it myself).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Yes, his away international debut, in the capital of the host team.

Whereas if/when he makes his home NI debut, not only will that be in NI's capital, but it will also be in his own home city.
    I hope all the IFA fans show their support by packing out Lansdowne road.

No. Beacom's just being a dick. As usual.
    I got that impression all right, but it's an attitude that could easily be widely held. I'm glad it's not.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    I hope all the IFA fans show their support by packing out Lansdowne road.
    By the latest estimate, it's looking like 5-6k fans may travel, which ironically would be slightly fewer than we took to Glasgow for a midweek friendly v Scotland three(?) years ago.

Btw, thanks to the kind offer of a Complimentary (i.e. not-for-sale) ticket to next week's game, I shall now be able to support the lads in person, whilst still maintaining my principle of not giving my money to the FAI. (And as an amateur "ground-hopper", I am greatly looking forward to seeing the "Palindrome" as well)

I got that impression all right, but it's an attitude that could easily be widely held. I'm glad it's not.
    I don't speak for the rest of the fans any more than Beacom, but my own view is that whilst I always support any player who wears the shirt, I take particular pleasure in those players who come from a Nationalist background, since I accept that many may have mixed feelings etc.

For example, I saw a wee clip of Michael Hughes on TV the other day, which reminded me of one of my all-time favourite NI players:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...sp/hughesy.gif

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    Whilst still maintaining my principle of not giving my money to the FAI.

I take particular pleasure in those players who come from a Nationalist background, since I accept that many may have mixed feelings etc.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    It's an "international football team", actually.
    They now play Aussie Rules? Or Gridiron? Guessing there's no chance of GAA....

And my sources now telling me only 2-3k travelling (Your boycott seems to have worked? Well Done!), but disinformation and all that.
    What's the 'Palindrome' btw, are the North now playing in Alaska??

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    And my sources now telling me only 2-3k travelling
    Your "sources" would, not for the first time, be wrong.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Fair enough, but given you know the person concerned blame them....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    They now play Aussie Rules? Or Gridiron? Guessing there's no chance of GAA....
    Why don't you take yourself off to soccer.ie ?

And my sources now telling me only 2-3k travelling (Your boycott seems to have worked? Well Done!), but disinformation and all that.
    As NB says, you are plain wrong when you say that. Therefore it is your "sources" who are guessing - if they actually exist, that is - and you who is falling for their guesses.

What's the 'Palindrome' btw, are the North now playing in Alaska??
    It's an early nickname given to the AVIVA by someone with a typically Irish love of wordplay.

But hey, don't worry, these things often pass over the heads of English people...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast