Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Seems Lizzy's on the way...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I'm sure Lizzie will be very disappointed she can't call into the Players Lounge for a quick Sherry.

I love when he says 'it's just a bit of craic' before launching into a 'three-fold' rant on why she shouldn't be coming.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    "I might have to close the pub down, but some things are more important than money."
    Yeah. Like publicity seeking.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    If the Queen took her crown off and came in here with a pair of jeans and a shirt on as an ordinary person she would be welcome here for a pint of Guinness
    She'd still be the head of state you dingbat.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    How Times change....

The Irish Times prepares to welcome the Queen... in 1900.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...292257743.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Funnily enough he's happy enough to have his son paying taxes to support the Queen's lifestyle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Publican to remove banner barring Queen

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...n-2582620.html

"This is nothing against English people. We've a lot of English people in the pub, we show English football and we're quite happy to do that," he said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I heard that in liveline. God I get angry with myself when I listen to that toss.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Just back from an evening in A&E - Fook it, Minihan was right. Absolutely disgusting to see the way patients are expected to tolerate their stay. She has blood on her hands and she deserves everything she gets. Ye can ponce all you want about civilised protest and acceptable behaviour - nothing too civilised or acceptable with Harney's Legacy.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I don't think it's fair to put all the blame on Harney. The system was screwed before she arrived and she implemented some reforms that have been applauded by people in the service. The health service is (a lot) bigger than one minister.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Back on Anthony Stokes parents: http://www.u.tv/News/Celtic-stars-pa...2-fb0ab1b777db

An estimated €500 of cocaine and an amount of bullets were found as upwards of 100 officers raided properties across the city on Friday morning.

Three people were arrested, including 54-year-old John and 55-year-old Joan Stokes, parents of Celtic player Anthony Stokes. Another man, aged 46, was also detained.
    The Royal party will probably pass up drinkypoos in their bar light of this.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    I don't think it's fair to put all the blame on Harney. The system was screwed before she arrived and she implemented some reforms that have been applauded by people in the service. The health service is (a lot) bigger than one minister.
    And she did what to improve the A&E situation? It was worse by the end of her term than the bloody start. To invoke Godwins Law on myself - I'm sure some in Germany still applaud the autobahns and the beetle...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Passed through the Phoenix Park on my way home earlier, there's notices up that the roads are to be closed for repairs, due to finish just in time for Liz's arrival.
    What a happy coincidence.

BTW, the main road through the park, from the entrance to the Castleknock exit, has been in bits since the heavy snow at the beginning of the year, it's so bad on one side that you're better off driving in the middle of the road to safeguard your car's suspension
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Passed through the Phoenix Park on my way home earlier, there's notices up that the roads are to be closed for repairs, due to finish just in time for Liz's arrival.
    What a happy coincidence.

BTW, the main road through the park, from the entrance to the Castleknock exit, has been in bits since the heavy snow at the beginning of the year, it's so bad on one side that you're better off driving in the middle of the road to safeguard your car's suspension

Yeah drove up Chesterfield Avenue for the first time since last year; Road's in rag order. A disgrace... I distinctly remember Noel Dempsey saying we had no money for road repairs...

God Save Lizzy for this road improvement.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    call me cynical, but the last time a road was badly in need of repairs and completed before a major international event came to Ireland was the upgrade of the Naas dual carriageway, completed just in time for the Ryder Cup.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    There was water or sewage works on in the Park a few weeks ago, iirc from Live Drive on Dublin City FM (not my route, so don't pay that much attention).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    And she did what to improve the A&E situation?
    I'm not talking about A&E specifically, but if you want me to: A&E was in the horrors long, long before Harney came along. Of course she should have improved the situation, but it's not like A&E is the sole remit of Health.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I think this is a good thing to be honest. Shows that everyone has grown up (bar the few usual morons that you'll see out protesting no doubt). It's more about the symbolism than anything else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    I'm not talking about A&E specifically, but if you want me to: A&E was in the horrors long, long before Harney came along. Of course she should have improved the situation, but it's not like A&E is the sole remit of Health.
    agree with this totally.

To develop the point a bit further, I always felt that the Health Ministers in Ireland got a very, very raw deal. Health truly is a poisoned chalice. Show me an efficient health system anywhere in the world that could easily be transposed into the exisiting Irish health framework. Its nearly impossible. Canada and France are commonly considered as being two of the most efficient and fair health systems in the western world but even they are extremely vulnerable to the black hole effect.

Dont get me wrong, I still dislike Harney intensely but healthcare is a disaster everywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    dated a nurse many, many moons ago and she reckoned that the South Korean healthcare system was the best in the world. The minister for health was a former surgeon, and he reorganised the whole setup

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    agree with this totally.

To develop the point a bit further, I always felt that the Health Ministers in Ireland got a very, very raw deal. Health truly is a poisoned chalice. Show me an efficient health system anywhere in the world that could easily be transposed into the exisiting Irish health framework. Its nearly impossible. Canada and France are commonly considered as being two of the most efficient and fair health systems in the western world but even they are extremely vulnerable to the black hole effect.

Dont get me wrong, I still dislike Harney intensely but healthcare is a disaster everywhere.
    She did nothing to try and change the system at all though. The HSE was made into a mechanism to sheild her, and she tried to enshrine the two teir system with co location. Apart from that, she did and attempted nothing, and never accepted any responsibility. She's held up as some feckin radical thinker, but what did she actually do? Rob a Green party policy on smokeless fuel back in the 80's seems to be the height of it. Oh and she didn't need a script to do a speech. She was just another gombeen politician, only her constituency was business interests rather than attending funerals.

Maybe the FG/ Labour plan won't work (I have reservations about the particular form of universal care that FG are following), but at least it is an attempt at root and branch reform of the system to give us some equality of access. Any figures I've seen dissing the plan or inflating the cost, don't appear to include what people pay outside of health insurance for GP's, Nurses etc.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast