Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Jason McAteer.... muppet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Jason McAteer.... muppet?

Caught a glimpse of the Telethon Radio 252 thingy on Network 2 tonight... who appears as a guest on the station only a certain Mr. McAteer... is it me or is he popping up everywhere? He appeared on some RTEngland reality cookery show yokey a while back. Either your a celebrity or a footballer Jason, which is it to be?
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    sorry forgot to mention, he missed a vital penalty for Sunderland in their play-off final and there he is not 24 hours later not a care in the world, flaunting his "celebrity" thing.... if i was a Sunderland fan id be fairly ticked off...
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    davros, sometimes you perplex me with your replies. This is one of those occasions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PAURO 7
    sorry forgot to mention, he missed a vital penalty for Sunderland in their play-off final and there he is not 24 hours later not a care in the world, flaunting his "celebrity" thing.... if i was a Sunderland fan id be fairly ticked off...
    Here's what I put to a similar point made elsewhere. I've seen nothing since to make me change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    I think a little perspective is called for here. His team lost a play-off match. No-one died. No doubt it was a long-standing commitment to appear on TV; certainly one arranged before the play-off fixtures were known. What's the man supposed to do? Long face and a black armband? Come on...
    PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Reality check here! FFS. Can anyone tell me the name of the goal scorer in the Ireland v Holland match 2001 (the one that got us through the group)?

Re: Penalty misses. Roberto Baggio retired last week and was praised by Italians. His World Cup 94 miss long forgotten.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    I mean, tell me the foootballer whose supposed to be deep and thoughtful .
    Royston. Didn't ye know. The outburst on McCarthy (Stick it up your b******s was sheer poetry). I just wish Wilde and Yeates were around to hear it.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Why do people hate McAteer so much?
    Personally? Cos he's an annoying scouse b@stard - but maybe that's just me....

Slightly more seriously, if it was a United player on Sunday after losing the Cup final I'd be mightly píssed off to see him laughing and joking on telly the day after. I say it shows a lack of professionalism (and not for the first time in McAteer's career), whatever the good intentions.

btw Many footballers do work for charity (including Keane) - not all of them in the full glare of the media all the time.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Don't normally have a problem with McAteer but I will say that I lost a bit of respect for him the other night watching the play off game. The Palace player was sent off so why did Jason feel the need to try and **** him off by mouthing at him and pointing the way off for him to go. He has been sent off himself a few times for silly incidents and it was only a few weeks ago that he got sent off in the F.A. Cup semi final against Millwall for 2 needless yellow cards.
    Couldn't help feeling justice had been done when he missed his penalty. Anyway, Sunderland are shocking so I'm glad Palace went through,at least they play a bit of football and try to entertain.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Didn't know that, as contrary to the accusations flying on the other forum where this is being discussed about people who are anti-McCarthy, I didn't see any of the match. Not surprised though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    McAteer enters two programmes, both in Ireland (unlike many of our British based footballers), both for charity, and he gets slated.

I would take the complete opposite view to this thread. I thought fair play to him.
    agreed. he would have committed to the people in need show (remember that's what it's about) probably long before play-off dates were confirmed. I like McAteer, the only negative thing I've felt about him, was when he faked fitness before the Cameroon game, but it was understandable, and he was probably still a better option than Mark kennedy at that stage anyway .

As with McCarthy, I don't think liking Roy means you have to hate Trigger, I certainly don't. In fact, as a person, I'd probably prefer to have a drink with the latter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    You all know my feelings on McAteer (and if you don't use the search facility) BUT in this case he would have got even more vilification if had've pulled out of his charity engagements.

Oh I think Roy Keane is a tosser too...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Me too. He wouldn't puke on you anyway...
    Are you sure? Given his "spice boy" antics....

Besides, if you were talking to him think of all the phlem that would end up on your face.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    woah, another Roy v Mick thread was not intended... all i was saying as, yeah i know its for charity and all that, and fair play to him for that ... but my point was that it did seem a bit unprofessional ...

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    but my point was that it did seem a bit unprofessional ...
    It would hardly have been professional for him to bail on the charities at the last minute either though? If it had been the day before the playoff game I'd agree with you but as things stand I think it was professional of hime to honour his engagements and put on a happy face at a time that can't have been easy for him.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    woah, another Roy v Mick thread was not intended... all i was saying as, yeah i know its for charity and all that, and fair play to him for that ... but my point was that it did seem a bit unprofessional ...
    Pull the other one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvio
    There is nothing to debate. McCarthy is a tosser. Roy is a National hero...

Nuff said...
    Someone else who is just a former shadow of himself.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fair play to Jason. May not be the brightest, but by all accounts a great fella.

Alot of footballers do charity work, and dont do it just for the kudos attached. Roy Keane is a prime example here. Like him or not, he gives alot to the community.

Had it been a player like Roy or Beckham doing any charity drive, people would be applauding them yadayada, rightly so, so why the double standards with McAteer? Because he winds a few ppl up on the pitch?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.