Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Did You See??

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Did You See??

Just a general thread that might be useful to discuss any programmes aired on TV. It can be a one-off documentary, a good episode of a currently running series, a news item - whatever you think may be of interest - you get the idea!!

I watched The Truth About Travellers, TV 3, 9pm, Tuesday 18th May.

Journalist, Henry McKean endeavours to explore Traveller culture and customs through interviews and spending time with members of the Travelling community.

What struck me about last nights episode was how subservient the traveller female still is - despite the programme trying to suggest otherwise. Beyond the most basic education is discouraged, and most girls are married off at 17 and are still at the mercy of domestic violence.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Due to the unparalled success of this thread so far, I thought I'd throw out another one!!!

Any chance, anyone saw The Stones in Exile last Saturday, 29th May, BBC1.

Very good insight into the background, writing and recording of 1972 album "Exile on Mainstreet".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Exclamation

Did you see ..... McLibel - Two People Who Wouldnt Say Sorry

McLibel is a documentary film directed by Franny Armstrong for Spanner Films about the McLibel case. The film was first completed, as a 52 minute television version, in 1997, after the conclusion of the original McLibel trial. It was then re-edited to 85 minute feature length in 2005, after the McLibel defendants took their case to the European Court of Human Rights.

The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Saw both these Wolfie.

The Stones in Exile was very good indeed. The whole recording set up was mental.

The Truth About Travellers didn't really satisfy many. Saw him (McKean) interviewed on Vincent Browne after it and he was having strips torn off for "stereotyping" travelling people. I on the other hand thought Saatchi & Saatchi couldn't have done a better rebranding blitz. It put the blame for their woes and problems squarely at the door of non-traveller society. I can't recall a single hard question put to any participant. No one was asked where 50 grand came from for a headstone that was featured. Even the headstone itself, and again this is just my opinion, appeared to have been rather cynically chosen by the producer as, while it was absurdly big, it didn't have a surround or capstone that frequently accompany such things and cause havoc and upset in Lawn cemeteries.

One note and nod of admiration for a particular female traveller in it who was re-using an elder daughters communion dress for the young one making her communion. That's the type of thing that should be encouraged in any community -settled, traveller and all.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Enjoyed the Stones Documentary. A quite mad recording process and bohemian lifestyle. I think you could trace the origins of Richards "Keef" persona fully emerging - his lapsing into heroin addiction and the adoption of that Americanised twang.

The word "legend" gets bandied around a lot these days - but Richards really is a one off. Never took himself too seriously.

Agree in relation to the Traveller series. Avoided challenging its subjects and ended up reinforcing stereotypes I think it had notions of debunking.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Anyone following The Apprentice (BBC 1, 9pm, Wednesday).

Who'd have thought Stuarts tragic/comic rhetoric in the boardroom on an epic scale could save him?

The blokes a deluded baffoon but he is entertaining, if only to see what complete tosh he'll come out with next.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Anyone following The Apprentice (BBC 1, 9pm, Wednesday).

Who'd have thought Stuarts tragic/comic rhetoric in the boardroom on an epic scale could save him?

The blokes a deluded baffoon but he is entertaining, if only to see what complete tosh he'll come out with next.
    That was hilarious last night. When he opened his mouth I was sat on the sofa, hand over my eyes cringing. Some of the crap he came out with was so ridiculous, he is the kid of person that will one day go door to door to convince people to join a pyramid scheme.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TenaciousDee View Post
    ...he is the kind of person that will one day go door to door to convince people to join a pyramid scheme.
    Those damn Egyptians! Always trying to get me into that...
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TenaciousDee View Post
    That was hilarious last night. When he opened his mouth I was sat on the sofa, hand over my eyes cringing. Some of the crap he came out with was so ridiculous, he is the kid of person that will one day go door to door to convince people to join a pyramid scheme.
    Baggs the Brand got his come-uppance last night. Sugar's realisation that he'd been conned and resultant reaction was classic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.