Results 1,201 to 1,213 of 1213

Thread: Celtic Cup thread

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Hmm, don't think he did....

As for the good citizens of Belgium, their minds will be truly boggled!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Norn Iron ranked 65 and Scotland 66. FYR Macedonia 85. I see every reason.

If teams only played countries of a higher rank, then no one would play anybody!
    We don't need practice beating teams of Macedonia's standard. We need practice beating strong technical eastern European teams like Russia and Slovakia. We almost always don't qualify because we failed against the higher seeds against us. We're very good at going away from home in trying conditions and coming away with a point against a better team. We're not so good when we're playing the same team at home and should be controlling the game, getting a win and claiming a 6-pointer.

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    If we can't get guys to commit to coming over to Dublin via Manchester airport, I think we'll struggle to get them to Kiev.

I agree that we should have more exposure to good eastern or southern European opposition though. Playing Italy before Macedonia would have made more sense.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Imo, playing a full strength competitive Scotland a week before this game, is good enough preparation.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I agree, but in general more opposition-specific preparation makes more sense. I think this last fortnight has been good in many ways and the FAI can't be blamed for NI's understrength teams and supporters' abstainance but for a while now (20 years!) we've taken the convenient home game opition a bit too much.

You're right though, especially in the sense that the likes of Andrews, Cox, Ward, O'Dea and McShane have all seen some good action.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    IYHO(or IMHO) even.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I agree, but in general more opposition-specific preparation makes more sense. I think this last fortnight has been good in many ways and the FAI can't be blamed for NI's understrength teams and supporters' abstainance but for a while now (20 years!) we've taken the convenient home game opition a bit too much.

You're right though, especially in the sense that the likes of Andrews, Cox, Ward, O'Dea and McShane have all seen some good action.
    Why, where did they go? Coppers?
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 31/05/2011 at 3:18 PM. Reason: WRONG QUOTE
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I agree, but in general more opposition-specific preparation makes more sense.
    but what if the team that you are against turns up to just go through the motions?
    I would rather see us play teams that will try to play against us as that trully primes you better for competitive qualifiers. i think we got that last sunday in particular.... as your post says the last fortnight has been good

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I suppodse you can never tell how good an exercise a friendly will be.

Anyway, Stephen Hunt is so funny. He says Scotland have the quality to qualify, as long as Charlie Adam stops thinking he's Pele!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...rs/9500795.stm

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    2+2 = Charlie Adams, I suppose that makes sense

"You don’t want certain individuals thinking they are Pele. I won’t mention any names. Put two and two together and you can work it out …"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    2+2 = Charlie Adams, I suppose that makes sense

"You don’t want certain individuals thinking they are Pele. I won’t mention any names. Put two and two together and you can work it out …"
    Hmmm - Jim Leighton by my maths.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    This tournament has been written off in a lot of quarters with comments like it's a piece of scrap metal etc.

I don't know about other but I enjoyed the tournament. Probably more so because we won but I like watching Ireland do battle even if we lament the style at times. It was great to see Ireland do a lap of honour after the Scottish game with the cup in hand. Must've been a great memory for the players and a first for them at home. People comment success breeds success. A few months later Ireland secured a play-off place at home and a month later the players were back doing a lap of the Aviva for what was the second time in about 6 months. Fantastic!

The idea of football usually is to score, win games and win trophies. The World Cup only comes around every 4 years as does the Euro's. Qualification for either isn't straight forward either. For all nations, there's definitely a place for a third competition to compete in. If the Celtic Cup is that for Ireland, and it does suit us and the other 3 nations, I'm happy enough with that.

Regards the format, I think a review will definitely have to take place after this year. It'll take time for any tournament to establish itself. It's easy for critics to rush in and write it off. The late Gary Speed, RIP, very tragic loss,, wasn't happy with the schedule of games for Wales. Something could possibly be learned from the draw for yesterday's Euro 2012 group stage draw.

Is it necessary to have a host country and/or city?
    If a leaf was taken out of the 6 nations book, two nations would have two home ties with the other two nations getting two home ties in the next tournament.

If there is to be a host nation could a second city be used as well?
    N. Ire v Sco
    Wal v Sco
    Wal v N. Ire
    These games above could have been staged in Thomond Park. For supporter of the three countries though, it might have been better if one had home tie.

Should matchday 3 games kick-off at the same time?
    This years game was a virtual final between Ireland and Scotland. If a team in the other game had a chance to win the tournament, like groups stages in major competitions, should all kick-offs be at the same time for the final game?

I think the Celtic Cup has a future. It just needs to be scheduled better. Supporters will vote with their feet.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I think a straight knock-out is the way to go. 2 semi finals and a few days later the final.
    If it's possible to have double headers then throw in a 3rd place playoff before the final.

Lansdowne, Hampden and the Millennium stadium are all big enough to host double headers.

Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061