Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    i think his point is shaddapa ya face

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I think the Benilyn is having an effect because that made me guffaw on the bus.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    anybody know if you will be able to get tickets for the other nations games in ticketmaster ie. scotland vs wales etc
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    I'm sure there'll be dozens on sale on the day, at face value or probably less.
    Guessing they'll only bother to open 1-2 stands for the 'neutral' games and maybe only up to 3, for our matches.
    If they have any sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    sky are reporting the english, welsh, scots and nordies are in negotiations to play the Home Nations Cup from next year on.
    Could be the end for the Celtic Cup or maybe we should swear allegiance to liz so we can play too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cornflakes View Post
    sky are reporting the english, welsh, scots and nordies are in negotiations to play the Home Nations Cup from next year on.
    Could be the end for the Celtic Cup
    Sadly I'm old enough to have been an avid fan of the "real" Home Championships back in the days of old.
    Nonetheless I'm still too wary of all the various hurdles which presumably still need to be surmounted before the HC's can be revived etc, before I start giving it a Kevin Keegan-stylee "I'd love it, I'd really love it" rant.

However if somehow it should come about, I can't see there being room for the ROI also to be involved, since a fifth team would add more matches than the international calendar could possibly accommodate (outside WC's and Euros etc).

Quote Originally Posted by cornflakes View Post
    maybe we should swear allegiance to liz so we can play too?
    I don't care if everyone stood on their head and sang Rule Britannia on O'Connell Street three times a day, my reaction would be "Up your* hole with a jam roll!"

* - Don't mean you personally, cornflakes, or ROI fans generally etc; rather that snake Delaney and his bunch of cronies out at Abbotstown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    If NI Wales and Scotland are in the British championships I don't see any reason why they would want to continue to participate in the "celtic" cup. Looks like it could be a one off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Northern Ireland and the Republic should join together for this tournament if it happens so there would be four teams in it then, Ireland, Scotland and England and Wales. Easy, problem solved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I feel sorry for the FAI if this is true. The Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish are now gonna ditch the Celtic Cup because their big brother now wants to play ball with em?
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga View Post
    Northern Ireland and the Republic should join together for this tournament if it happens so there would be four teams in it then, Ireland, Scotland and England and Wales. Easy, problem solved.
    Ha Ha.

Expect the likes of EG, GR & their ilk to take their own advice on behaviour in O'Connell Street if that was the case. Or spontaneously combust.

And no sympathy for The FAI about such a crappy competition.
    There's an economic depression in the country and they're trying to launch a completely pointless tournament v. 3 other sides even more mediocre than us, FFS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Northern Ireland and the Republic should join together
    I thoroughly agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    I feel sorry for the FAI if this is true. The Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish are now gonna ditch the Celtic Cup because their big brother now wants to play ball with em?
    just in time for the 2012 Olympics?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Ha Ha.

Expect the likes of EG, GR & their ilk to take their own advice on behaviour in O'Connell Street if that was the case. Or spontaneously combust.

And no sympathy for The FAI about such a crappy competition.
    There's an economic depression in the country and they're trying to launch a completely pointless tournament v. 3 other sides even more mediocre than us, FFS.
    Where opposition fans will come on three seperate occasions and spend money while showcasing the stadium. Also providing the fans home friendlies rather than spending money travelling across europe for friendlies. Stupid FAI.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    The BBC understands the details of a revived British Championship are yet to be sorted out but it is likely to follow the format used by rugby union's Six Nations, with home advantage in alternate years. Inviting Ireland to take part is also a possibility.
    Let's not start the all Ireland team debate yet again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Sadly I'm old enough to have been an avid fan of the "real" Home Championships back in the days of old.
    Nonetheless I'm still too wary of all the various hurdles which presumably still need to be surmounted before the HC's can be revived etc, before I start giving it a Kevin Keegan-stylee "I'd love it, I'd really love it" rant.

However if somehow it should come about, I can't see there being room for the ROI also to be involved, since a fifth team would add more matches than the international calendar could possibly accommodate (outside WC's and Euros etc).
    Considering that the fourth team in the competition was called Ireland all but for a handful of tournaments, it's not necessarily the case that room needs to be made for the ROI to compete. As an avid fan of said "real" Championship, surely you'd welcome the return of Ireland to the competition and the fielding of a team that fully represents Ireland? After all it wouldn't be the "real" Championship without Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    The All-Ireland thing will never happen especially with another brace of defections to the Republic from NI about to take place.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Both the Times and Independent are reporting that the FAI look set to be involved in the renewed Home Championships (if it happens)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...287234093.html

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-2491018.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    If NI Wales and Scotland are in the British championships I don't see any reason why they would want to continue to participate in the "celtic" cup. Looks like it could be a one off
    It could well be a one-off anyway, but that's largely down to the eccentric way it's been organised. If that could be improved, I'd have no problem with a 'Celtic' rather than 'Home' tournament. Put simply England are the least likely of the five to commit to anything. Their claim that the original HI was dropped because of fixture congestion is baloney; they kept on playing friendlies afterwards, just against other presumably more lucrative opponents.

Who said there was a problem? You might find that R.E.M. and U2 merging into one team is more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    I wouldn't feel too sorry. I mean, you lot should be able to arrange a one-off with Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay even if England decide to play ball (unlikely, I reckon).

Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Expect the likes of EG, GR & their ilk to take their own advice on behaviour in O'Connell Street if that was the case
    Thanks, but that won't be necessary. I'm confident of behaving properly in Dublin; I lived there, remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    just in time for the 2012 Olympics?
    The BBC are saying no earlier than 2013, if it happens at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    surely you'd welcome the return of Ireland to the competition and the fielding of a team that fully represents Ireland?
    A team representing Ireland never left the competition. But if the FAI want to join too, that's fine.

Both the Times and Independent are reporting that the FAI look set to be involved in the renewed Home Championships (if it happens)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...287234093.html

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-2491018.html
    It would be careless of the FAI (and local media) not to seek to be involved, if it happens.

The obvious problem with five teams rather than four is that it almost doubles the number of games from six to 10. Fitting everything might be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    The All-Ireland thing will never happen especially with another brace of defections to the Republic from NI about to take place
    Were you thinking of a couple of specific players? I'm sure you're right that there's no likelihood of an end to the NI team, but that would be the case even if a couple of youth players didn't decide not to play for it.
    Last edited by Gather round; 11/01/2011 at 8:26 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Where opposition fans will come on three seperate occasions and spend money while showcasing the stadium.
    Also providing the fans home friendlies rather than spending money travelling across europe for friendlies. Stupid FAI.
    Hmm. No more than 3k, as in Alba? The tiniest county would bring more than that for any sort of important GAA game....

As for being 'showcased', well the Europa Lge. Final should increase that massively.

Finally as for home friendlies, thanks but No. 90% of them are pure crap at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Who said there was a problem?
    Erm, Why not ask yer man EG;Am sure he'll remind you!

I'm confident of behaving properly in Dublin; I lived there, remember.
    And?
    You seem to know remarkably little about the place then, given some of the other questions yer asking online.

A team representing Ireland never left the competition. But if the FAI want to join too, that's fine.

It would be careless of the FAI (and local media) not to seek to be involved, if it happens.

The obvious problem with five teams rather than four is that it almost doubles the number of games from six to 10. Fitting everything might be difficult.
    Hmm, that team 'representing Ireland' have hardly embraced an AI philosophy! Whereas this one would!
    That aside, the latter two 'points' seem to contradict, by saying they should get involved, but there's no time to play the games, yeah right.

Were you thinking of a couple of specific players? I'm sure you're right that there's no likelihood of an end to the NI team, but that would be the case even if a couple of youth players didn't decide not to play for it.
    Just let's say a couple of people who received recent correspondence, not to mention numerous others, must be regretting any links with the North, let alone any soccer team that alludes to represent the place.

Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast