Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Celtic Cup thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Thanks for the update, Gspain (not that I'll be giving the FAI any of my money.
    Pensioners go free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    They must have cut prices for visiting fans, as they would have charged €40-50 minimum if they could get away with it
    Very possibly. They must have decided they couldn't get away with it. (Although they are getting stick, particularly from Scottish fans, for changing the timetable after many had paid for their travel, hotels etc.).

Even those prices seem too much for the abject quality of the teams on offer. Especially in the light of the parlous economic climate
    The prices are comparable to what you'd pay in the League of Ireland or English D4. Even weakened international sides are a bit higher standard than that. But if you don't fancy it, fine.

Which ironically will be contradicted by the nice 'cheap' prices for accommodation, food & drink etc. That visitors will find when they roll up....
    Dublin Hotel costs look reasonable at the moment (cheaper than many equivalents in Britain). People broadly know what food and drink prices to expect.

Anyway, thought the North's fans were all boycotting this because of the FAI?? For once I'd be in total agreement
    Some are, others aren't. There seems to be a difference between OWC and the Irish League supporter boards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    We can't complain about the terrible state of football in Ireland and then condemn the FAI and IFA for trying to get some money in.
    Dunno whether that was directed at me, but if it was, I've consistently acknowledged the financial imperative which (presumably) has caused the four Associations, inc IFA, to devise this tournament.

However, I also have a problem with the IFA's involvement on a point of principle i.e. I do not think we should be co-operating with a rival Association whose recruitment procedures have been described as "unfair, seedy and predatory" by the man who operated them, at our direct expense.

Therefore my own "solution" to this conundrum is to accept that due to TV money and sponsorship etc, the tournament will go ahead regardless of whether the stadium is full or empty; the IFA will participate because it needs the money; some?/many? NI fans will attend because they want to support the team; but I will not be one of them because I do not want to see one penny of my money going to that s h i t head Delaney and his cronies.

Beyond that, I hope those of our fans who do travel have a good time, the team wins and there is no trouble etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    So you don't think fans (and even football associations) should try to have some integrity?
    As regards NI fans, I do not think this issue is black and white. That is, I can understand why some NI fans feel they should go to support the team. I will not be one of them, on an "agree to disagree" basis.

As regards Associations, I cannot see any organisation led by a chancer like Delaney ever having any integrity - but I suspect that deep down, all ROI and/or LOI fans knew that already.

As for the IFA's dilemma which has caused it place pragmatism over principle, I wish it weren't so (indeed hate it), but accept that it is so.

Maybe in time that will change.

Anyway, thought the North's fans were all boycotting this because of the FAI?? For once I'd be in total agreement.
    My own guess is that only a minority of fans will "boycott" this event and I understand that (especially for those fans who cannot normally attend away games for one reason or another).

For in the end they, like me, are supporters and how else does one demonstrate that other than by attending games and supporting the team?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Very possibly. They must have decided they couldn't get away with it.
    Believe me, they have cut their prices by half.

The prices are comparable to what you'd pay in the League of Ireland or English D4. Even weakened international sides are a bit higher standard than that.
    Given the fuss you've made paying similar for a 'top' Championship game I consider this gross hypocrisy!
    Not to mention, the stadium will have barely 5-10k in the middle of Feb.
    And the whole thing is irrelevant economically, to the country.

Dublin Hotel costs look reasonable at the moment
    Anything that's that cheap, is probably a sh*thole.

Have some sympathy with EG's view, as at least he's operating within a 'principle' of sorts and shares the common view of JD.
    Having met JD, he's a consummate political operator and whilst not agreeing with his 'economic policies', acknowledge the man's charisma. Of sorts.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    In the eligibility issue over the past few years, Delaney has been a credit to the FAI.
    Imho, on this issue, he has represented the FAI, knowledgeably, diplomatically and with integrity. I think most fans would credit Delaney on his conduct throughout the period that the eligibility issue was the subject of much bluster and bluff by the legally ignorant IFA.

Since this issue has been finally adjudicated, I doubt that the FAI policy of facilitating contact with eligible young players is any different to other associations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardee Bhoy
    Believe me, they have cut their prices by half
    I know. If (as I originally expected) the tickets had cost ca €50, then I probably wouldn't be interested in going. I suppose the FAI have to balance attracting a decent crowd against annoying their own fans, partic. those with season tickets.

Given the fuss you've made paying similar for a 'top' Championship game I consider this gross hypocrisy!
    How so? I don't support any teams in the 'top' Championship; NI play few enough games as it is. I want to go, FAI are making me a reasonable offer. What da problem?

Anything that's that cheap, is probably a sh*thole
    I didn't quote a figure- how would you know? But a quick search now reveals plenty available for €30 per head in a twin, within 1km of O'Connell Bridge. Five star luxury not necessary.

Have some sympathy with EG's view, as at least he's operating within a 'principle' of sorts
    Translation: neither of you want to go to the matches, albeit for vastly different reasons. EG because he thinks (wrongly, in my opinion) that the FAI are acting unfairly and threaten the NI team's future existence. We're quite capable of doing that single-handed, thanks.

It's a shame the pair of you can't meet for a sharpener. Maybe next time?

Quote Originally Posted by Geysir
    In the eligibility issue over the past few years, Delaney has been a credit to the FAI
    That's a bit like crediting Mussolini as a war leader because he managed to invade Albania or the Cote d'Azur. JD managed to deal with the IFA's confusion pretty adroitly, I'll grant.

Imho, on this issue, he has represented the FAI, knowledgeably, diplomatically and with integrity
    I think AB was probably thinking of other issues. To this outsider, securing the Europa Cup Final looks a bigger achievement than marginally increasing the playing pool. Against that, consider his foolish and drawn out response to the France game last year, or the embarrassment of the ManU v LoI scratch side

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    I didn't quote a figure- how would you know? But a quick search now reveals plenty available for €30 per head in a twin, within 1km of O'Connell Bridge. Five star luxury not necessary.
    You're looking at hostels then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    You're looking at hostels then?
    No, hotels as I said above. Here are the first three that came up in that search:

Mont Clare, Merrion Square

Arlington, Lord Edward Street

Belvedere, Parnell Square

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    No, hotels as I said above. Here are the first three that came up in that search:

Mont Clare, Merrion Square

Arlington, Lord Edward Street

Belvedere, Parnell Square
    What search engine are you using? The Mont Clare and Arlington are coming up as €80 - 100 per night when I've search them. The Belvedere is cheap but I don't want to stay near Parnell Sq.
    Last edited by ifk101; 20/12/2010 at 2:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    What search engine are you using? The Mont Clare and Arlington are coming up as €80 - 100 per night when I've search them. The Belvedere is cheap but I don't want to stay near Parnell Sq
    Google => Dublin+hotel+bookings => http://dublin.city-centre-hotels.com/.

Discounts offered for two nights.

Point taken about PSq, but it is very central.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    That's a bit like crediting Mussolini as a war leader because he managed to invade Albania or the Cote d'Azur.
    not really. i am sure those places didnt welcome mussolini where as the players concerned are delighted to be able to play for the south

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    I suppose the FAI have to balance attracting a decent crowd against annoying their own fans, partic. those with season tickets.
    It was done purely out of economic reasoning, not for any altrusistic reasons.

I don't support any teams in the 'top' Championship.
    Hmm, well if you don't recall why that's a gripe now, you never will.

I want to go, FAI are making me a reasonable offer. What da problem?
    Clearly it would help boost capacity, but we have enough self-righteous fools already!

I didn't quote a figure- how would you know? But a quick search now reveals plenty available for €30 per head in a twin, within 1km of O'Connell Bridge.
    Er, again for reasons you should know only too well!
    And the average is around €10 more, but still a worthwhile shout.

Save it for an AI team's first game....

That's a bit like crediting Mussolini as a war leader because he managed to invade Albania or the Cote d'Azur.
    Yet another bizarre, pointless and irrelevant analogy. As JB identified.

Against that, consider his foolish and drawn out response to the France game last year, or the embarrassment of the ManU v LoI scratch side
    Compared to Bl*tter & some of the IFA, he's almost a giant by comparison.

Google => Dublin+hotel+bookings => http://dublin.city-centre-hotels.com/.

Discounts offered for two nights.
    To be fair that's a good find. Finally, Reality bites.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    talk of ireland or wales playing in triangular tournament wiht the basque country next year

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    That would be a lot more interesting, especially in Iberia.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    In the eligibility issue over the past few years, Delaney has been a credit to the FAI.
    Imho, on this issue, he has represented the FAI, knowledgeably, diplomatically and with integrity. I think most fans would credit Delaney on his conduct throughout the period that the eligibility issue was the subject of much bluster and bluff by the legally ignorant IFA.

Since this issue has been finally adjudicated, I doubt that the FAI policy of facilitating contact with eligible young players is any different to other associations.
    To be fair he has a pretty water tight case backing him up, ie The Good Friday Agreement, so it a bit of a no brainer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Actually Dublin hotel prices are amongst the best value in Europe these days. Other aspects of our economy are not as competitive.

I haven't seen ticket prices for our 3 games. No indication that they are cheaper apart from JD's comment about reducing prices.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were dearer than the 3 non RoI games in this tournament. 20 euro would be very cheap and probably
    aimed at getting local neutrals to go. Haven't even heards a rumour though as to what our prices will be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Translation: neither of you [Ealing Green and Ardee Bhoy] want to go to the matches, albeit for vastly different reasons. EG because he thinks (wrongly, in my opinion) that the FAI are acting unfairly and threaten the NI team's future existence. We're quite capable of doing that single-handed, thanks.
    Actually, I feel the FAI actions to be "unfair, seedy and predatory", as somebody-or-other once admitted.
    As for this threatening our existence, I do not believe that to be so as such. However, I do feel that it greatly jeopardises our ability to go on putting out a team which equally represents both traditions in NI, since the FAI now offers an outlet for those footballers from a Nationalist background who may allow their politics etc to inform their choice of international team.
    Thus it is this increasing de facto sectarianising of football in Ireland, whereby the ROI may come to be seen as the "Catholic team" and NI as the "Prod" team, which I consider to be the most "threatening" and utterly abhorrent aspect of this whole shabby episode.

Ardee Bhoy has suggested we meet at the first game of a United Ireland team.
    I can certainly wait* that long, even if he can't...

* - Don't expect to live that long, mind, unless things turn out so bad in Da Republick that they are forced to beg for readmission to the UK.
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 21/12/2010 at 12:19 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I think you'll find that a united Ireland team already exists and rightly so. Anyone born in this single island of ours can play for the team called Republic of Ireland. Hence we have a team which has representatives from all of the island.

Ha ha id be more worried about the state of your own little government supported economy if I were you. Things wont be so rosy for the UK banks/government when they have to go to the market in late 2011.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    I haven't seen ticket prices for our 3 games. No indication that they are cheaper apart from JD's comment about reducing prices.
    I could see crowds of less than 10,000 if they charge €40 for these. They have be careful with prices; charging too much for these games could see a big drop in block-booking numbers as even big games aren't selling out currently.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast