Thread: Drogheda

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Sligo's inclusion in that is laughable
    Why is that Dodge?
    "Even if the sun ceases to rise, Even if the sea ceases to flow, Even if the wind stops to blow, The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning, glinting star in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Perhaps I'm missing something. Drogheda are carrying forward a loss from 2010 of €88,000 and that deficit will increase by €100,000 if they proceed with budgeted expenditure of €402,000.

So why not reduce budgeted expenditure to €214,000 and clear all the debt.
    402k - 214k = 188k = Not enough to run a LoI club

Quote Originally Posted by Red4Eva View Post
    Why is that Dodge?
    I'd imagine he's refering to the bi annual bouts of poor mouthery tbf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    2010 expenditure was put at €529,000, when all income considered there was a shortfall €88,000. The projected budget for 2011 takes a realistic approach in factoring in significantly lesser figures including gate income, due to the anticipated smaller crowds and the relative lower ticket prices. Fixed costs such as travel, rent, medical, light and heat have driven the figures upwards. Overheads for 2011 are estimated at €402,000, however considering all incomings there is a perspective deficit of €188,000.
    http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/4710/

Perhaps I'm missing something. Drogheda are carrying forward a loss from 2010 of €88,000 and that deficit will increase by €100,000 if they proceed with budgeted expenditure of €402,000.

So why not reduce budgeted expenditure to €214,000 and clear all the debt.

Drogheda need to realise that they are a small club with a tiny fan base. If they cut their cloth, they can plan to build up their fan base (and their revenue) over a number of years.

And you need to realize that its swings and roundabouts in this league , a few seasons ago when things where going well on the pitch ( granted it was due to large investment ) we had great crowds by LOI standards . Before that while we where going between divisions we had decent crowds .The last time we won promotion away to sligo we had more there than the home team . Last seasons crowds where by far the worst for many years , due to among other things the recession etc . I remember being in Oriel a few years ago and there was about 200 people there . Your " small " club is a nonsense tbh , all LOI clubs are tiny in the scheme of things and No club gets a crowd it could brag about . I wonder how Dundalk are going to cope without Dermot Ahern and those big sports grants you where getting ?
    Last edited by ndrog; 16/12/2010 at 12:06 AM.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Reduce it to €214k he said in fairness. Our budget wouldn't be too far off that somewhere around €200-250k I think.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ndrog View Post
    . . I wonder how Dundalk are going to cope without Dermot Ahern and those big sports grants you where getting ?
    Gerry Adams has a few quid salted away for a rainy day or two ;-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Reduce it to €214k he said in fairness. Our budget wouldn't be too far off that somewhere around €200-250k I think.
    Vodka + (reading + maths) = fail

Really that low?! That's bare bones stuff.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    So I believe anyway, there's no frills but they seem to be keeping things relatively in order. Don't owe players or Revenue anything from what I hear so that's a start!
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    . Your " small " club is a nonsense tbh , all LOI clubs are tiny in the scheme of things and No club gets a crowd it could brag about . I wonder how Dundalk are going to cope without Dermot Ahern and those big sports grants you where getting ?
    Ouch!! Bitter doesn't suit you..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    It is all fail.
    Sporting F*ck All!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post

Really that low?! That's bare bones stuff.
    To be fair Harps club budget isn't much more than €180k for the year.
    Most of our players are on €50 a week with the luxury players getting around €100-€150. We had at least 4 players getting nothing last season.
    Admin staff is cut to just 1 and we've even gone so far as using email notifications to shareholders to reduce the costs of postage.

It's about time clubs got a serious bout of reality and cut their cloths to suit. I know not all clubs will do this but the majority are looking towards local youths and building local sides for the future.

Always enjoy my trips to United Park and fingers crossed we will be visiting there again in the new year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    A lot of clubs have made the mistake of spending beyond their means in the first division in the expectation of promotion.

Dundalk FC almost went out of existence through persistent over-spending.

Drogheda are coming to the end of a crazy rollercoaster ride. Many fans of other clubs would advise them to recognise the unfortunate reality of their position and only spend what can be generated from their fans and sponsors. Plannning to spend in excess of that is lunacy.

However, I still sense an air of unreality in Hunky Dory Park.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    And you need to realize that its swings and roundabouts in this league
    Absolutely nothing in your post was relevant to White Horse's point. He needs to realise nothing; DUFC need to realise where they're at, which was the point made.

FWIW, I think our budget next year is around the E200k mark as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Absolutely nothing in your post was relevant to White Horse's point. He needs to realise nothing; DUFC need to realise where they're at, which was the point made.

FWIW, I think our budget next year is around the E200k mark as well.
    My post was relevant both to the post and the thread in general . He made reference to us being a small club with a tiny fan base which as i said is swings and round abouts in this league . Crowds come and go , as does success and failure . Both depend on finance , unfortunately we dont have any . Any thanks for pointing out that DUFC need to know what they're at stu , i will pass that on to the club .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    And the point he made from that was that Drogheda need to factor that into their projections, which he feels they haven't done. None of your rant addressed that point. It was completely irrelevant, in fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    ..... Anyway. Projected budget does seem very high for next season, especially for a first division club any reason (other than obvious overspending) ? Sad to see Drogs in trouble again so soon after the last "great escape" hope they can pull it around but not a great time to go looking for investment in LOI (was there ever ? )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    And the point he made from that was that Drogheda need to factor that into their projections, which he feels they haven't done. None of your rant addressed that point. It was completely irrelevant, in fact.
    What rant ? That aint a rant by any stretch . Believe me the club is going to cut is cloth etc .It has no choice whatsoever because there is no one coming in with any outside investment . Chairman was on the radio this morning stating this , and also at the meeting the other night it was stressed in no uncertain terms that there will be no spending money we dont have ! Going completely amateur was also mentioned . There was a very real sense of getting there act together once and for all re our finances . Every club has to promise to underwrite debts that will be incurred during the season , our problem is there is no one willing to do that anymore . We do not have a gerry matthews like dundalk or the backing of a college like UCD unfortunately . The people who backed us just cant do it anymore and thats the bottom line. There are realistic budgets being put in place to run a first division club and even that seems to be beyond us at this stage . Hopefully they cant pull it out of the bag before deadline day .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Believe me the club is going to cut is cloth etc
    Yet White Horse's point is that that isn't evident at all from the press release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    There was a very real sense of getting their act together once and for all re our finances .
    So the people didnt get their act together 2 years ago after pushing the club into examinership?
    The same people more or less have pushed DUFC to the brink again?

You had a Gerry Matthews plus some and that investment was squandered on the basis of an unsustainable and unrealistic pipe dream!
    Considering you dont even have the considerable outlay of maintaining Hunky Dory park happily defferring that financial burden to the FAI.

Realism and Drogheda Utd and in particular nDrog should not appear in the same paragraph!!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Sad to see Drogs in trouble again so soon after the last "great escape" hope they can pull it around but not a great time to go looking for investment in LOI (was there ever ? )
    But have we established they are actually in trouble, or just trying to raise funds for an unaffordable budget, yet?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    It is sad to see the Drog's in the position they are in. Hopefully they can get the funds in place. A drop to the A Championship is a nightmare scenario though Cobh have rebuilt to a degree.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast