Thread: Russia wins 2018 rights, Qatar to host 2022

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

Russia wins 2018 rights, Qatar to host 2022

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/heartb...d-cup-2010-12/

So, one corrupt, semi-fascist dictatorship rewards another, don't know how a country the size of Qatar will accommodate all the necessary stadia.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    http://thescore.thejournal.ie/heartb...d-cup-2010-12/

So, one corrupt, semi-fascist dictatorship rewards another, don't know how a country the size of Qatar will accommodate all the necessary stadia.
    All within a 60km radius I believe. To be dismantled afterwards and reused in the developing countries.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    im bitterly disappointed that England and USA didnt get it to be honest. I hate Sepp Blatter and FIFA.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Fifa is so obviously corrupt its sickening. Qa-feckin-tar

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Gas how all the talk at the moment is on how damaging Panorama's allegations were to the England bid. Nobody cares if the allegations were true or not. Read a bit a while back (think it was on WSC?) about how a majority of people in Holland didn't want the World Cup because of all the tax breaks and constitution re-writes that FIFA were asking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Round 1: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes.

Round 2: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 13 votes (Russia obtain absolute majority of 12)
    anyone know why would 2 Netherlands/Belgium voters switch allegiance to Russia in Round 2 when Netherlands/Belgium bid was still on the table?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Presumably cos they saw the Holland/Belgium bid wasn't going to work and they favoured Russia over Spain/Portugal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Unsurprised by the result, it's likely almost any other competing bid would put on a better tournament than either Russia or Qatar. Individuals voted with their wallets, plus ca change.

I'm not generally in favour of corrupt oligarchs getting to host global events, but any chance Russia might actually follow through and clean up their endemic hooliganism and racism problems? At least we're getting a slight dry run next September...
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Sepp Blatter was asked "who is your favourite Qatar player Sepp?".

"Eric Clapton" he says.

11. Thanks From:

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From Australia's point view, what a lot of crap

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cornflakes View Post
    Fifa is so obviously corrupt its sickening. Qa-feckin-tar

There has never been a World Cup in one of the 20+ Arab countries so it is their time. Nor has there been a World Cup in Eastern Europe. We are biased towards Western Europe.

Good luck to them both.

England only got 2 votes. Obviously never in the running despite what their press think.

On the positive side, we usually qualify when the WC is thousands of miles away!
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    England only got 2 votes. Obviously never in the running despite what their press think.
    One from themselves. Other probably from the US, who pulled out of 2018 when England pulled out of 2022 I think?

I'd be shocked if the Panorama thing didn't cost them a few votes, even if it was late in the day. You can't call a load of people corrupt - with evidence, it seems - and expect that they'll not try and stab you right back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    anyone know why would 2 Netherlands/Belgium voters switch allegiance to Russia in Round 2 when Netherlands/Belgium bid was still on the table?
    The thinking is it was 2 Russia voters who voted for Bel/Ned to knock out England in first round

Either way its laughable that people think that this result means FIFA is corrupt while a victory for the US or the UK would've been fair. have none of you heard of wikileaks? They're more corrupt than most.

its actually sickening to hear the England bid people (and their media cheerleaders) refuse to even entertain the thought that their bid wasn't impeccable. They are exactly the same when the team loses. Its never down to ability, its always a ref's decision or the weather.

Maybe, just maybe, the best bids came from Russia and Qatar? Seeing as not one of us have seen all the bids...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I find it interesting that UK media and the Bid Team and sports commentators in general now all appear to be on the 'Lets investigate FIFA' bandwagon. Whilst I 110% agree that FIFA should be brought to task, Its amazing the hypocrisy of all this, in that, as long as the corrupt organisation and its executive committee members are voting for our bid 'its ok', otherwise, it can't be allowed to go on and the organisation needs a complete revamp.

Rumour has it that Warner (and his 3 votes) had been guaranteed to the UK Bid Team - Though obviously he ticked a different box! The guy is a complete crook who I have no time for but its hypocritical of the English FA to get Prince Willy and Prince Becks to go off cap in hand blowing smoke up this guys ar$e in order to get votes and then be shocked when he is not true to his word.

Its a farce of a process. God knows how many favours $$$$$ will be changing hands after this but I hope it all comes out.

I would have liked for it to come to England in 2018 but I dont mind that Russia got it either. Qatar is a bizarre selection, I don't really buy the bringing football to the Middle East argument - It stinks of cash, cash and more cash.

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    On a slightly different note, how did Mexico get to host it twice in 16 years?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I think one of them was a last minute change of host (From Colombia I think)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Yeah, there was an earthquake in Colombia in 1985, so they switched it to Mexico.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yeah, there was an earthquake in Colombia in 1985, so they switched it to Mexico.
    Colombia couldn't afford it, Mexico got it and kept it despite earthquake in 1985.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FIFA_World_Cup
    Colombia was originally chosen as hosts by FIFA in June 1974. However, the Colombian authorities eventually declared in November 1982 that they could not afford to host the World Cup under the terms that FIFA demanded because of economic concerns. Mexico was selected on 20 May 1983 as the replacement hosts, beating the bids of Canada, and the United States (who eventually hosted the 1994 World Cup), and became the first nation to host two World Cups. This second World Cup in Mexico came 16 years after the first one in 1970. A severe earthquake in September 1985, eight months before the tournament, cast doubt over Mexico's ability to organize the event, but the stadia were not affected and it was decided to go ahead with the preparations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Interesting. I knew about the earthquake in Mexico alright. It was mentioned in the 1986 dvd that the Irish Independent were selling during the WC, would have thought they'd have mentioned something about Colombia too though, maybe they did!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Colombia couldn't afford it, Mexico got it and kept it despite earthquake in 1985.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FIFA_World_Cup
    Always thought that earthquake was in Colombia. Though I know (was the last World Cup I didn't watch) that TV commentary was garbled - wrong languages and stuff like that. Don't know why I didn't put two and two together!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast