Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snow !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    have to drive from Dublin to Limerick on saturday, so hope it stay someway clear
    it has been indicated that motorways will be given priority for gritting
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Fairly heavy snow in Kerry now, I'd say it'll carry on for the morning at least.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Back with a bang ,anybody in Dublin City centre to confirm driving conditions?

(AA roadwatch seems to be the same report every day)

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Main roads around the city are pretty clear. Traffic is a bit all over the place as you might expect. The snow has stopped again for the moment at least. RTE live updates have been pretty good http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1221/weather.html

Tallaght Stadium Regular

5. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    It took me 2 hours last night to get from Georges St to Ranelagh bridge,a journey of about 1 mile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Tell me about it. I got on a bus on Geroge's St at 5 and only got to Tallaght at 7.40. Lesson 1. I should have got the Luas. Thank God I had a decent book. Roads have deteriorated a lot in the last few hours, it's going to be mental this eveining again. I'm out of here at 4 and straight down to the Luas.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Took me 40 minutes to get home yesterday. That's compared to a typical of - ooh, 40 minutes. I love the DART!

8 inches and counting in South Dublin at the moment. And it's the nicest snow I've ever seen - soft, deep and clean. Tis only lovely out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    It is lovely snow. No matter how annoying the travel and slipping around is I still smile when I look out the window at the winter wonderland outside, it's once in a generation type stuff (hopefully).

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Bah humbug,I hate snow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Took me 40 minutes to get home yesterday. That's compared to a typical of - ooh, 40 minutes. I love the DART!

8 inches and counting in South Dublin at the moment. And it's the nicest snow I've ever seen - soft, deep and clean. Tis only lovely out.
    Slight delays today but got from Dun Laoghaire to Kilcock in 2 hours. It could normally take an hour and a half. Fair dues to Iarnród Éireann though. I don't think I'll be seeing the mother for a few days.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Made it down today. Living high up, you expect the roads to be bad, but it's a joke how bad the national primary routes are. Yer man from the NRA is like Comical Ali with all the crap about enough salt to keep the main roads open - my route is N/M11, M50 and N81 and none of them were what I'd call clear. Any snow and they'll be fecked again (the N81 is particularly bad - not even tarmac tracks). If this is the best they can do, supposedly with better controls and coordination this winter, they might as well admit defeat and legislate for winter tryes from November to Feb.

WTF is going on that the NRA isn't sourcing salt from the North instead of the med? More short termism - cost might be significantly cheaper for the salt, but whats been the cost of the last few weeks disruption to the economy?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Still lovely in East Cork.

Last edited by dahamsta; 22/12/2010 at 5:21 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    just out of curiousity, we live on an island, why can't sand from our beaches be used to grit the roads? we were discussing this in work and none of us could come up with an answer

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Lashing down again.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    View from my balcony about 5 minutes ago. No snow, just day after day of -5 or -6 leaving everywhere frozen. (If this file is too big for the site, feel free to edit/chop/magic it.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hula4 View Post
    just out of curiousity, we live on an island, why can't sand from our beaches be used to grit the roads? we were discussing this in work and none of us could come up with an answer
    It's corrosive and would damage cars, I do alot of sea fishing and after every trip you have to wash your gear or else it will be ruined.
    MOT

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12 View Post
    It's corrosive and would damage cars, I do alot of sea fishing and after every trip you have to wash your gear or else it will be ruined.
    It's not the sand but the salt residue that's corrosive - the same salt they are spreading on the roads out of the salt spreaders / gritters.
    Cars these days are galvanised before being painted and withstand much more than the old UK imports you might remember of the 1980s that quickly being rust buckets. There is a company in Birr (not to be confused with Burrrrr, it's freezing) called Romaquip who are leaders in speading technology. They produced 150 vehicles in the last three years for the UK Highway Services, Our guys bought around 20, so the only reason we don't have the Roads clear is because of Cash. When the snow has melted I'd be keen to know how much it would have cost to keep roads clear against how much the Government lost in tax revenue, productivity and VAT etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    They won't be able to tell you that.
    I spent all of September trying to get my boss to approve a form that I was designing that takes the current a3 folded form all onto a a4 that we would print in-house and would envelope in our enveloping machine. I was over-ruled because of the cost of the a4 paper and laser cartridge. Of course they didn't answer my query as to the cost of the staff to hand envelope.
    I moved department and everyday for the last 2 weeks that section has had all staff labeling the old form and hand folding into envelopes and they are still not finished.
    It warms the cockles to see them.
    Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that there is no way that the govt will be able to or will want to quantify the true cost.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr Damo View Post
    It's not the sand but the salt residue that's corrosive - the same salt they are spreading on the roads out of the salt spreaders / gritters.
    I'm not sure it is the same salt, but regardless there isn't enough salt in beach sand to be that much more effective than sand.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hula4 View Post
    It would be utterly pointless. It wouldn't be as good, and we have the biggest salt mine in Europe in Carrickfergus. Trouble is it has been its been 15-20 below in parts. It was -10 when I was driving through Belfast on Tuesday morning. No practical amount of salt will melt that. Nothing will unless we start pouring pure alcohol or something on the roads.

We're just going to have to grin and bear it for a few more days until it melts. Other countries cope with months of this. A few days won't kill us.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast