Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future of Women's Football in Ireland

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Future of Women's Football in Ireland

The FAI have cut back on all non-core activities to save money. The Women's unit has been all but closed-down. If the FAI see women's football as a NON-CORE ACTIVITY what does that say about the game here in Ireland?

With only Sue Ronan and Paul Cleary(no, I've never met him either) remaining in the Women's Unit of the FAI where does the future of women's football lie?

Sue is the Senior Women's Team Manager - Essential job, but not grassroots or development level. Also, just saw post on FAI website that Sue is going to be coaching in Israel too(with Ger Dunne and Des Tomlinson). How bout coaching here in Ireland Sue? I can't imagine where the money for that is coming from as the government grants have dried up, the FAI is millions in debt, can't sell tickets to international games and the country is €85Bn in the red! http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...=75&Itemid=139

Paul is the National Co-ordinator Women's Football - What will he be co-ordinating as there is no-one left in the unit....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    This probably means that there will not now be a National league. I've never met Cleary either, all I know is that he is based up in Donegal, or was. The FAI are never going to be interested in womens' football unless it brings in some serious money. Watch now as they will probably disband some of the under-age teams in the coming year.

I suppose it has already started, I was at the WFAI Junior cup final in Limerick and there was not so much as a cup of tea or sandwich for the teams after the game. But there was at half-time for the league officials (suits), who turned up.

More cut-backs on the way, how many more people in the Women's game are going to lose their jobs by the end of the season?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What a surprise!!!!!NOT!!! Until clubs get together and have a forum on womens football,nothing will change.I called for clubs to get together some weekend and put their heads together and organise a plan for the future last year but I got very little response from any one.It's amazing what could be done if we could all meet up and bounce ideas of each other.If we don't get together we will be still in the same boat this time next year.Only us can get the ball rolling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hi monuman,

I would be more than willing to meet up to discuss this. I think we will have to do something now because the FAI are not going to invest anything whether it be money, time or resources.

If any clubs out there are really interested in the future of the womens' game then we must all get together sooner rather than later.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hi Cityman.
    I have no problem meeting up with you and anyone else who is interested.I suppose Dublin is the safest bet.All we need is to sit down and have a chat over a few pints early in the new year.Lets get the ball rolling!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would be willing to meet anywhere. I live in Meath now but would have no problem getting anywhere.

As you said, " let's get the ball rolling". I could run this by the DWSL but I don't think they would be interested to be honest. I don't think we would need their permission to speak with other clubs if we needed to.

I have names of club secretaries from at least 3 divisions in the DWSL. I'm sure some of them could be interested in meeting up to discuss this issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The One View Post
    The FAI have cut back on all non-core activities to save money. The Women's unit has been all but closed-down. If the FAI see women's football as a NON-CORE ACTIVITY what does that say about the game here in Ireland?

With only Sue Ronan and Paul Cleary(no, I've never met him either) remaining in the Women's Unit of the FAI where does the future of women's football lie?

Sue is the Senior Women's Team Manager - Essential job, but not grassroots or development level. Also, just saw post on FAI website that Sue is going to be coaching in Israel too(with Ger Dunne and Des Tomlinson). How bout coaching here in Ireland Sue? I can't imagine where the money for that is coming from as the government grants have dried up, the FAI is millions in debt, can't sell tickets to international games and the country is €85Bn in the red! http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...=75&Itemid=139

Paul is the National Co-ordinator Women's Football - What will he be co-ordinating as there is no-one left in the unit....
    No,the FAI just can't be that dumb!
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    No problem Cityman.If you can pick a place in the city that you think is suitable to most people,a pub or hotel bar I will attend.What about Sat or Sun 15/16 Jan.I also have contact details for a lot of the DWSL clubs but I think an initial meeting of 6-7 people just to get the ball rolling would be enough.Then we could see what happens.Maybe those who regularly write on this forum might be interested.We don't need permission from the League as it's only an informal get together between a few people interested in the promotion of Ladies soccer.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Well did a few of you get the chance to meet up and if so what were the outcomes? Whats the next steps? (If any)...
    If the FAI have cut back on the Womens Side of operations then its up to the Clubs and Leagues to use their initiative to get things going, which all above seem keen to do.
    Just had a quick look for the FAI Womens Development Plan 2006-2010 to no success... If anyone has a copy, I'd be interested to have a look to see what stage its at now.
    Is there a new plan for 2011-2015/16 due in the coming months??
    As a relatively new Club in terms of Womens/Schoolgirls Football just over 2 years, we have done it all on our own, like you all I bet... We had a small bit of development work from FAI and it worked well and generated interested but we still worked hard to develop the "Female" section.
    We have always worked with our FAI Development Officer and he is fantastic in helping us develop our Girls as Coaches and in promoting our Schoolgirls Academy... If Clubs can show to be pro active in working with their FAI Officers about developing the Female game then they will support you. If enough Clubs done it, then perhaps the FAI would take it more serious as a "core activity"...
    Clubs also need to look at how they are run, Mens and Boys comes before the Girls in many Clubs with no section given more preferential treatment over another.
    We are unfortunately years away from any kind organised and properly coordinated structures & development in the Female game.
    At Schoolgirls level there is a huge opportunity to shape the way Childrens football is played in this country with rule changes, properly run non competitive leagues with mandatory rules etc. It could be the leader in showing how Schoolboys football should be done from age 6 up.. It wont happen because its the win at all costs attitude from Coaches and Parents, until we put the child at the centre to develop them with techniques etc etc etc its a losing battle and its already falling into the Schoolboys mentality..
    This sums it up, our Under 11's development League, the opposition Claiming the walkover/points because our team was not ready, (Not ready means we only got the girls at training for the first time 5 days prior to the game, think some of them never kicked a ball ffs and we even we requested it off). Thats whats out there! So if our "development" leagues have people like that, what chance is there!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    We didn't meet up.I didn't hear any thing back from city man.If any one has any ideas about where would be a suitable place to meet up in Dublin over the next couple of weeks I will be there.I don't know Dublin all that well but it can be any city bar or hotel bar.All I'm talking about is an informal chat for an hour so that we can bounce ideas off each other on how to improve the ladies game.Hopefully city man can get back to me.
    I'm open to any suggestions,it's all about getting the ball rolling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hi Monuman,

Sorry in delay in getting back to you. I know we said the sooner the better we should meet!!
    How about next Monday? As I live in Meath I could meet you outside Dublin if that suits you. I imagine you have a distance to travel so if you are based outside Dublin there is no point in heading all the way there. Have you asked any clubs about this or would you like to meet up first?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hi Cityman,can't do Monday as our club AGM is this week.How does Saturday sound,say 2pm in the Red Cow.We can meet up in the foyer over a pint/cup of tea and have a chat.I can ring a couple of people who might be interested in having a chat also.Any one on this forum is invited.Lets bounce a few ideas off each other and see what develops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hi there,

I'm unable to meet on Saturday due to football. Sunday is out aswell because my team has a friendly

Next week I'm free Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What about next Thursday evening say about 7 or 8.The Clarion or the Raddisson at the airport would suit me better rather than going to the south of the city.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yea that sounds grand.

How does the Clarion suit you at 7pm?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    hi cityman,next thursday in the clarion it is then,I'll ring a couple of people who might be interested in having a chat that night and the invitation is open to any one interested in coming along also.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    For any one interested.I met up with cityman and we had a very good meeting where we talked about all levels of the girls/ladies game.We covered a lot of points from trying to make the game attractive as to encourage girls to take up the sport,the standard of pitches and referees that we have to put up with.From pitches not properly cut and lined out to sub standard referees who don't treat the girls the same as male players.We also found that the WFAI have lost touch with grassroots football and will tell us that the ladies game has never been better just because our U-17's did well in the world cup.On 1 hand the international teams are doing well and at the same time former WFAI cup winners St Francis have folded,Drogheda Utd folded also last year.There are probably other teams that have gone that I don't know about.We need to get all clubs to meet up more regularly if we have any chance of progressing.
    ANY TAKERS!!!!!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Add Aisling Annacotty to that list of folded clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by monuman View Post
    For any one interested.I met up with cityman and we had a very good meeting where we talked about all levels of the girls/ladies game.We covered a lot of points from trying to make the game attractive as to encourage girls to take up the sport,the standard of pitches and referees that we have to put up with.From pitches not properly cut and lined out to sub standard referees who don't treat the girls the same as male players.We also found that the WFAI have lost touch with grassroots football and will tell us that the ladies game has never been better just because our U-17's did well in the world cup.On 1 hand the international teams are doing well and at the same time former WFAI cup winners St Francis have folded,Drogheda Utd folded also last year.There are probably other teams that have gone that I don't know about.We need to get all clubs to meet up more regularly if we have any chance of progressing.
    ANY TAKERS!!!!!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Hi All,

did anyone go to the FAI National League Meeting last Thurs?

What was discussed/agreed?

Anyone know which clubs have declared interest / attended the meeting?

thanks.....

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The One View Post
    Hi All,

did anyone go to the FAI National League Meeting last Thurs?

What was discussed/agreed?

Anyone know which clubs have declared interest / attended the meeting?

thanks.....
    It's running from Nov 2011- Feb/March 2012. 6 to 8 teams in it for this season. Everyone who is interested has to apply and then the FAI will announce in the Summer who they will pick for the league.
    Lots of criteria needs to be met (eg. need own private pitches & changing facilities, good underage setup needs to be in place...) and they seem to be trying to get as good a mix of clubs from all over the country as possible. Games all to be played on Sundays. The National League will now be the route into Europe instead of the WFAI Cup.
    All the usual suspects were at the meeting as far as I know, but I have no idea how many clubs applied.

Bring it on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast