Thread: How Bad is Galways Bad?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

agreed

Quote Originally Posted by L.T.F.C. View Post
    It has nothing got to do with the FAI or how much they're paying Delaney. Moreover, Delaney isn't the one that that checks the accounts is it? No.
    It is only Galway's fault and theirs alone.

100% right

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Why was Leeson given all this power (going on Galway fans' posts here, he was pretty much in charge of everything)? With his past, surely it's pretty obvious that there should have been someone keeping an eye on what he was doing.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    He was the Bees Knees not so long ago, now he's EVIL it's all very confusing.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    It has nothing got to do with the FAI or how much they're paying Delaney. Moreover, Delaney isn't the one that that checks the accounts is it? No.
    It is only Galway's fault and theirs alone.
    In most leagues this would be the case. But the FAI have given themselves the power of quite a lot of oversight to stop clubs shooting themselves in the foot. Is this something that should have been picked up by the FAI? Or was it spending of a different kind?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    He was the Bees Knees not so long ago, now he's EVIL it's all very confusing.
    not even the spiders ankles now.... BOOM..!!!!!!!1

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    In most leagues this would be the case. But the FAI have given themselves the power of quite a lot of oversight to stop clubs shooting themselves in the foot. Is this something that should have been picked up by the FAI? Or was it spending of a different kind?
    Then what is the point of a league, of clubs, of committees and supporters clubs? If the FAI are going to run the thing, then there is no point to any of this. Wait! They don't run the clubs. Clubs have to be self-sufficient and can't be molly-coddled but the FAI.

The blame does not, I repeat does not lie with the FAI, Delaney or his pay-cheque. Maybe the FAI should have picked up on it, but if anyone from Galway blames the FAI, I'm glad the club is in debt.
    Last edited by L.T.F.C.; 23/11/2010 at 2:51 PM.
    Sporting F*ck All!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    It's already been shown that clubs are largely incompetent at running themselves. The point of licencing was to force clubs to focus on medium- and long-term benefits and not just always look at the short term. In that regard, the FAI are absolutely to blame for not stopping this earlier. Whoever within Galway United is obviously more to blame, but the FAI can't be let off the hook that lightly in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Let's not forget Galway are the model First Division clubs were repeatedly told to follow

The Original Model Club if you will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Let's not forget Galway are the model First Division clubs were repeatedly told to follow

The Original Model Club if you will.
    Ah yes, the club who scored 389 points out of a possible 500 in assessing off-the-field criteria by the IAG – more than any Premier Division club.

The IAG/FAI were really sold on the plan drawn up by the convicted fraudster, Nick Lesson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Ah yes, the club who scored 389 points out of a possible 500 in assessing off-the-field criteria by the IAG – more than any Premier Division club.

The IAG/FAI were really sold on the plan drawn up by the convicted fraudster, Nick Lesson.
    Glad to see you dont hold any grudges against them !
    Why are people who "need no introduction" always introduced?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Leeson will remain in charge at Galway

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/...y_leesonn.html
    Tuesday, 23 November 2010 16:53

Nick Leeson and Galway United's board of directors have confirmed they will remain in charge at Terryland Park despite criticism from supporters over debts incurred that threaten the future of the Connacht club.

The Galway United Supporters Trust (GUST) have called a meeting at Terryland on Wednesday to address what Trust chairman Ronan Coleman describes as 'serious financial issues'.

The fan body claims that football debts incurred over the season may be as high as €70,000, but sources close to the board have indicated that the actual figure in the region of €35,000 to €40,000.

Footballing debt can include, among other things, payments to players and staff, other clubs and the Revenue Commissioners.
    The debt must be cleared to allow the club to fulfil FAI licencing requirements for the 2011 Premier Division. The closing date for the application is the 31 January but there is also a preliminary deadline on the 21 December. GUST have also claimed there is a lack of clarity over the CEO's position. The Galway board today pointed out that the overall level of debt, including the footballing debt at the club, is decreasing year on year.

Furthermore they say the level of football debt is comparatively less than the figure included in the 2009 accounts.
    The Board are due to meet on Friday of this week and have stated they are committed to working with all of the stakeholders at the club, including the Supporters Trust to secure the club's future. Galway today announced on their official website, www.galwayunitedfc.ie, that 2011 season tickets would be on sale just €99 until 7 December.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It's already been shown that clubs are largely incompetent at running themselves. The point of licencing was to force clubs to focus on medium- and long-term benefits and not just always look at the short term. In that regard, the FAI are absolutely to blame for not stopping this earlier. Whoever within Galway United is obviously more to blame, but the FAI can't be let off the hook that lightly in my opinion.
    5 maybe 10% fault lies with FAI.

So what if the clubs can't run themselves? Do you think the FAI should take over them because they can't? No one, it seems can learn from other clubs mistakes, so let them learn the hard way.
    Sporting F*ck All!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    sa after three pages its all ok the ceo is not gone the debt is coming down year on year and its only tiny anyway so whats all the fuss about.
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts

Leeson Stays!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufc2000 View Post
    ...The fan body claims that football debts incurred over the season may be as high as €70,000, but sources close to the board have indicated that the actual figure in the region of €35,000 to €40,000.

Footballing debt can include, among other things, payments to players and staff, other clubs and the Revenue Commissioners.
    So, what are their non-footballing debts for the season? There's no reason to use a label like that unless they're being evasive about their total losses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    5 maybe 10% fault lies with FAI.

So what if the clubs can't run themselves? Do you think the FAI should take over them because they can't? No one, it seems can learn from other clubs mistakes, so let them learn the hard way.
    No-one's asking the FAI to take over clubs. We are asking the FAI to take action against the clubs - warnings, fines, points deductions, relegation - if they start down this route. I'd say 40% of the blame lies with the FAI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    It's a very delicate issue for the FAI though stu, if they were to come down hard on all the clubs who act the maggot during the year you'd have a league with the majority with asterixs and the image is bad enough as it is!

I can never ever understand where the PFAI stand in issues like this, unless of course players in Ireland remain overpaid.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    It's a very delicate issue for the FAI though stu, if they were to come down hard on all the clubs who act the maggot during the year you'd have a league with the majority with asterixs and the image is bad enough as it is!
    For one year, sure. But in the long run, consider the history of club finances since, say, Sheligation. That unending dirge of trouble is the single most reported part of the game, and clearing it up could only be good in the long run. Hell, one season with a bunch of asterisks could even be good press if it's all spun right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Agreed. I'd take one year with ten asterisks though if it meant none of this nonsense going forward. All we have now is a position where the FAI are like an ignored parent screaming token-ly at their out of control kids. The kind of parent you'd love to slap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    A year of purges is the way forward then.

Seeing as for the first sustained period of time since I've started following LoI Limerick are among the good guys I fully support this move.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast