Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Albums of 2010 - (It's tradition!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Paulie, if you heard an album in a particular year then its from that year its your album of the year. Or something to that effect.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Paulie, if you heard an album in a particular year then its from that year its your album of the year. Or something to that effect.
    That's pretty true actually. 'Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix' is from 2009, but I've only heard it this year, so that would have been up there.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Pauro that you understand what I meant from that gibberish I wrote I have to commend thee.

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    My favourites this year were (off the top of my head and in no particular order):
    Antlers - Hospice
    Deerhunter - Halycon Digest
    Foals - Total Life Forever
    The National - High Violet
    Caribou - Swim
    Los Campesinos - Romance is Boring

Honourable mentions:
    Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record
    Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
    LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening
    Jonsi - Go
    Holy Fook - Latin
    Crystal Castles (eponymous)
    <insert witty remark>

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I say this every year but I really mean it this time - this was the worst year for music I can ever remember, certainly until next year anyway!

The only new album released this year I can see myself religiously listening to in 10 years time is High Violet by The National. Took me about 3,4 listens to get into it but it's on par with the magnificence of both Alligator and Boxer.

Off the top of my head The Suburbs/Arcade Fire, Four Tet/There Is Love in You, Foals/Total Life Forever were the only others I enjoyed.

Alot of average stuff was released this year but the new LCD Soundsystem, Interpol, Manics and Royksopp albums all really disappointed me.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    I say this every year but I really mean it this time - this was the worst year for music I can ever remember, certainly until next year anyway!

Alot of average stuff was released this year but the new LCD Soundsystem, Interpol, Manics and Royksopp albums all really disappointed me.
    I disagree that there is such thing as a bad year for music. There is so much out there that is always some quality, you just have to throw the net wider.

Interpol are a spent force. I didn't even get the album which would have been unimaginable for me four years ago following Antics and TOTBL. The bits I heard sounded similar to the incredibly dissapointing third album. I'm resigned to the fact that the success has ruined them.

LCD Soundsytem was a credible effort though, quality at EP too.
    <insert witty remark>

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    This Is Happening for me also was quality, probably my favourite of the year following an intense tussle with Gorillaz and Sleigh Bells and a late surge by Future Islands (thanks for the tip-off BonnieShels!). Only gutted to since find out that it'll be LCD's last album.

My ten favourites of the year would be (in no particular order then bar top spot):
    LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
    Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
    Sleigh Bells - Treats
    Future Islands - In Evening Air
    Eels - Tomorrow Morning
    Chemical Brothers - Further
    The Fall - Your Future Our Clutter
    Four Tet - There Is Love In You
    Plan B - The Defamation Of Strickland Banks
    Foals - Total Life Forever
    More than useful outings too from Arcade Fire, Goldfrapp, Yeasayer, New Young Pony Club, Groove Armada, Pendulum, The National, Hot Chip, Faithless, Eels (again)...

Like Beavis this "worst year ever for music" we get each year makes me laugh. Truth is, of course, that there are no bad years (though I'd argue that even if there were this couldn't be counted one of them), only not-as-good ones. They can't all be 2004 after all!
    Last edited by stann; 22/12/2010 at 8:53 AM. Reason: horrible error amended!
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I have to nominate Contra by Vampire Weekend. Lots of good tunes and every bit as good as their debut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Interpol are a spent force. I didn't even get the album which would have been unimaginable for me four years ago following Antics and TOTBL. The bits I heard sounded similar to the incredibly dissapointing third album. I'm resigned to the fact that the success has ruined them.
    I wrote off Interpol's last album but after giving it a chance and many more listens, it's a very decent album. The National 'High Violet' is just superb, got into it quite late too.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I highly rate "Antics" and I liked much of "Our Love to Admire".

How I've managed to miss the first album up to now is, to quote a zany German, "crazy like a malfunction to me".

However, I've just purchased and am looking forward to hearing it later, with headphones on and pint in hand.

First album comes highly recommended. All Agree??
    Quoting years at random since 1975

FORMERLY: shannonman Lev Yashin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I highly rate "Antics" and I liked much of "Our Love to Admire".

How I've managed to miss the first album up to now is, to quote a zany German, "crazy like a malfunction to me".

However, I've just purchased and am looking forward to hearing it later, with headphones on and pint in hand.

First album comes highly recommended. All Agree??
    LOVE the first album. The best of them in my opinion. Say hello to the angels just picks you up a pulls you through four and a half minutes of pleasure...and you could even dance to it if you were that way inclined!!
    My Goal Is To Deny Yours...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    From start to finish TOTBL is quality. All time top ten quality.
    In fact I'm going to put it on now...

Untitled and Obstacle 1 still make me drop my jaw.
    Dancing to some Interpol is an experience. Love losing it Whelans to Obstacle 1.

When I saw them in Edinburgh last month they were just going through the motions. Nothing like the Antics eta Interpol. They were genuinely shocked when coming on stage at Oxegen 2004 to see that crowd in that teny. To this day its one of the greatest gigs ever. They really miss Carlos now. Highlight in Edinburgh was Say Hello to the Angels.

Wolfie, while you're at it pick up Julian Plenti is... Skyscraper. It's Paul Banks' solo album from last year.

Oh Stella...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    From start to finish TOTBL is quality. All time top ten quality.
    In fact I'm going to put it on now...

Untitled and Obstacle 1 still make me drop my jaw.
    Dancing to some Interpol is an experience. Love losing it Whelans to Obstacle 1.

When I saw them in Edinburgh last month they were just going through the motions. Nothing like the Antics eta Interpol. They were genuinely shocked when coming on stage at Oxegen 2004 to see that crowd in that teny. To this day its one of the greatest gigs ever. They really miss Carlos now. Highlight in Edinburgh was Say Hello to the Angels.
    I heard that one at Oxegen 04 one was amazing but have seen them 3 times (Oxegen and RDS) and was dissapointed with each one. It's part of the reason I'm not interested in their new offering.

TOTBL is really great though. The phrase 'dark and brooding' is always included in it's reviews and is perfectly apt. Strangely, if there is a lowlight for me it would be Say Hello to Angels. It's probably the only song on the album that lacks depth. Favourites would be Leif Erikson, Untiltled, PDA, NYC, Hands Away...ah feck it, all them.
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Swans - 'My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky'. Michael Gira is one of those rare individuals who can do no wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Don't know it but will spend the day searching.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Didn't get that many 2010 releases so most of what I did buy compose this list:

Black Francis - The Golem (Pity it wasn't promoted properly, it's quite fantastic)
    Grinderman - Grinderman II (Took a couple of listens to fully digest but it's very, very good, especially the final two tracks)
    Beach House - Teen Dream (I was actually startled to discover the other day that the singer is a girl!)
    Arcade Fire i The Suburbs (Stuck on for the first time a week ago, didn't care for it much, the second listen got my full attention, ruddy good effort)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    How come nobody has mentioned yeasayer odd blood, or beach house?? Both top quality in a very lean year for albums
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn, it's what seperates us from the animals!! Well... except for the weasel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    Swans - 'My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky'. Michael Gira is one of those rare individuals who can do no wrong.
    nice one sullivinho, i have some of the doomy early swans stuff which i really like but haven't got any angels of light - i think i read that the new one falls somewhere in between? it's on my list regardless, gira is definitely a singular madman. more to come from him/them i hope.
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The Suburbs br Arcade Fire was the standout album for me, also liked Becoming A Jackal by The Villagers and as has been mentioned High Violet by The National.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12