Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2011 - General

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Which is why we need an election now, in order for a new government to have the authority to implement it. Atm we effectively have no government, as the government is ending soon.

The UK have had 2 budgets this year, because of a change of government. They weren't influenced by the IMF, but they were influenced by Brussels.

Next year, we'll have an election for parliament, an election for the bill-signer, a referendum to abolish the Seanad, and possibly an election for Dublin Lord Mayor. And at least 2 budgets to implement. We'll be doing laps of the polling booths.
    We had two budgets for 2009 don't forget.

We will not have a Dublin mayoral vote next year. That idea will thankfully die with the yellows.The Seanad referendum will not come in 2011 more than likely 2012 as well. the next administration will have far too much to deal with.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Is Btw still backing FF I wonder ??

Surely they've blown it for a generation? Forget them & FG. And regrettably the Greens (in Europe they seem to have pragmatic policies, though not Ireland or their Brit counterparts, in the main.)

At this point, would want a Labour/SF/Indpts. coalition, the latter preferably being of a more left persuasion. Potentially up to six must have a chance, though others more knowledgeable will know more exact details.

If I could vote for her, would certainly back my pals sister, who got deselected as an Indpt.(formerly of a 'mainstream' party, Thankfully, not the gruesome twosome.) TD in the last election which was more of a FF/FG squeeze.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    The next government will be FG major and Labour minor. FF will be a pointless rump party. Near destructed to nothing. SF will gain substantially and I think that this will be the last government where FG and Labour are in coalition and we can see a normalisation of Left Right politics finally in this state. Or the gobshoites will continue to vote for FF.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Maybe my Babel Fish has finally tuned into Cowen speak or he has started to use plain English, but I had the strange experience of understanding what the man was saying as he was speaking on Monday, when he faced the press with the announcement of inevitable elections in January.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Both. The Brits have offered us a loan too.
    I haven't seen any mention that a cent of IMF money is involved yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post

Surely they've blown it for a generation?
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    FF will be a pointless rump party. Near destructed to nothing.
    I wouldn't go writing their obituary just yet. Once the next administration has taken over and quickly becomes unpopular they'll start to creep back -especially when they change leader - a move that'll be about as seismic a shift for them as Malibu Stacey getting a cheap plastic hat. Sadly I could see them rehabilitated, in the minds of enough voters, to the point of fit for office in a tragically short time. As it stands, with all that has happened and all that we know of who was at the wheel, 17% of voters admit that they'd vote for them again. I reckon for every two confessed FF voters there's at least another one who'll do the needful when called upon. As has been said -it aint just an election this country needs -it's an electorate.

Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Maybe my Babel Fish has finally tuned into Cowen speak or he has started to use plain English, but I had the strange experience of understanding what the man was saying as he was speaking on Monday, when he faced the press with the announcement of inevitable elections in January.
    Mark Twain said something like "Nothing hones the mind like the prospect of an imminent linching".
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    I don't think FF'll die either, although it'll be fascinating to watch the deserters.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Sinn Fein to table motion of no confidence: http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/19573

This could end the Cowen era.. or he could struggle through one more time. We'll see now what the FF 'rebels' are really made of.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Sinn Fein to table motion of no confidence: http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/19573

This could end the Cowen era.. or he could struggle through one more time. We'll see now what the FF 'rebels' are really made of.
    Dont they need 7 seats ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Dont they need 7 seats ?
    It could end up like the John O'Donoghue vote, where SF didn't have the numbers, but forced Labour to respond with their motion.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Apparently so, wasn't aware of that initially.

Kinda just bluster from them so.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Apparently so, wasn't aware of that initially.

Kinda just bluster from them so.
    Don't know about that, Sinn Fein seem to be doing the right things lately - winning court cases for by-elections, the O'Donoghue vote as mentioned above and now this?

We will certainly see now who is looking towards the national interest, if Lab / FG / Healy Rae and any other deserting rats really think a GE is required - surely this is thier chance to make it happen ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Geysir, you're right. I was agog with euphoria last night and couldn't contain myself. The next few days will decide the fate of the party. Although we all know that there's always some who'll vote FF and not admit it, I.think that the colloquial nature of the party could be its downfall. Think about it, how many if the current flock of ffers are.going to want to stand for election next time round? If the party is beset my an influx of unknowns we could see decimation. Also, the opposition will either have to face an election before or after the budget. In either event they will have an enormous majority ensuring they'll be in power for at least 5 years. If they bring us back from the brink and I have confidence that they will then I can easily see FF being exasperated come 2016. Unless they hitch their ride to the rising bandwagon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Then, as now, i only backed them in the north. In the south I'd give my No. 1 to whoever had the best chance of getting elected between SF and Labour
    Last edited by backstothewall; 23/11/2010 at 5:39 PM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    So a glory hunter eh?
    You'll be biting for Labour and they'll be in coalition with your beloved FG.
    Delicious.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    We had two budgets for 2009 don't forget.
    Was it not 3 in/ for 2009? Hard to keep up with Lenihan tbh...

For all the talk of a FG/ Labour or Labour/ FG coalition (and by god have RTE been attacking this "incoming Government" all day, particularly Pat Kenny), surely something approaching canadian tory style meltdown for FF opens up other possibilities?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Surely not. I'm getting miffed at the easy ride that FF get on rte of late. Prime example with that vacuous bint o'callaghan tonight with varadkar and battman. Hassles Varadkar for not guaranteeing that FG will vote for the budget. Varadkar handled her well. Then she asked Battman What do FF feel about being the worst/most unpopular government ever... Battman started talking about exports. Nothing said by the cow.
    Cooper was at it today and in fairness John Drennan and Fionnan Sheehan sorted him out.
    The Irish media is complicit in the ****storm we're in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Apparently we are now in hock for €200billion. Get your coats lads.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Was it not 3 in/ for 2009? Hard to keep up with Lenihan tbh...

For all the talk of a FG/ Labour or Labour/ FG coalition (and by god have RTE been attacking this "incoming Government" all day, particularly Pat Kenny), surely something approaching canadian tory style meltdown for FF opens up other possibilities?
    It would be hard for such a result under PR, they'd probably have to fall under 10%, which isn't likely to happen, but FF could end up like Italy's Christian Democrats. A popular centrist party, corruption, disillusionment with the entire political system and an economic crisis - so not so different from here then. They still exist, but nowadays they only get 5-10% of the vote.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    It would be hard for such a result under PR, they'd probably have to fall under 10%, which isn't likely to happen, but FF could end up like Italy's Christian Democrats. A popular centrist party, corruption, disillusionment with the entire political system and an economic crisis - so not so different from here then. They still exist, but nowadays they only get 5-10% of the vote.
    I know there's a "shy FFer" effect in the polls, but they were down to 17% in the last red c poll, which was taken Monday to Wednesday last week, before confirmation of the IMF/ Lies and all the crap since. Not sure of the red c methodology, but I think it might tend to over estimate FF support too. I doubt they'll go to 10%, but it's not so far beyond the bonds of possibility that we should be expecting a joint FG/Labour programme before an election imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels
    Surely not. I'm getting miffed at the easy ride that FF get on rte of late. Prime example with that vacuous bint o'callaghan tonight with varadkar and battman. Hassles Varadkar for not guaranteeing that FG will vote for the budget. Varadkar handled her well. Then she asked Battman What do FF feel about being the worst/most unpopular government ever... Battman started talking about exports. Nothing said by the cow.
    Only of late? I had thought the worm had turned earlier in the week, but RTE were well and truely back in Pravda mode yesterday, that's for sure. Apart from Brawn, the last few weeks I've been relying on BBC and Channel 4 to find out what's happening in Ireland.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast