Thread: Barstool facepalm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Oh god, that's dire:

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McStool
    They say that the relatively weak performances of our teams in the Champions League in recent seasons - Liverpool in particular put up a poor show last year - has "proven" that the Premier League is not "the best league in the world", that that is all hype.
    "Our teams" indeed.

I thought perhaps it was an article borrowed from an English news service, as is sometimes, the case, then got to the last paragraph:

Quote Originally Posted by pure ****e

And still...still they come with their cribbing about how ludicrous it is for people from, say, Roscommon, to be regarding themselves as Liverpool fans. In fact, Irish people have been supporting English football teams for so long now, as a natural expression of their humanity and of their longing for a bit of diversion in their lives, it can with some justification be called our national game.
    In a similar move, people from Roscommon became fans of the Beatles without thinking it was ridiculous, what with all the great Roscommon bands they could have supported at the time.
    Thank God we can admire aspects of a culture other than our own, that we are so open-minded.
    A couple of short sentences would pretty much win you a game of Barstool Bingo. Just a reference to crappy facilities and you'd have a full house.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    I was reading it and kept having to remind myself it wasn't an article from Waterford Whispers News. Cringe Factor 10!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    A natural expression of our humanity.... Mother of jaysus.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    So disrespectful and ignorant toward football in this country. Come to expect little else from the majority of journos here though.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I would think that Lynch's piece was dripping with irony until the sub editor got his hands on it

Lynch is a long time Athlone fan, would have seen him at lots of other LOI ga mes too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    I would think that Lynch's piece was dripping with irony until the sub editor got his hands on it

Lynch is a long time Athlone fan, would have seen him at lots of other LOI ga mes too
    If being an Athlone fan doesn't make you hate Irish football, nothing will

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    If being an Athlone fan doesn't make you hate Irish football, nothing will
    Says the Bray fan... I feel your pain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    https://thetirconaillview.wordpress....et-revolution/

A loosely related article to this thread. Why are more people not watching a team top of the league while 15,000 travel to Croke Park and more travel regularly to England and Scotland?

Thought it was a well written article and deserved a few more readers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    The saddest thing about it is it probably represents the view of the vast majority of football supporters in this country the patriotic Irish me hole!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    the patriotic Irish me hole!
    That always makes me laugh but not as much as 'the sports mad Irish'.

12. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Wow...

Why did you start supporting Wigan Athletic?

It’s a strange story really because I don’t have any family ties to Wigan or anything.
    Not really that strange mate. Exactly like 99% of the Irish fans of English teams.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    In all fairness, most Scandinavian and Dutch lads have an English team they support pretty rigorously.

Even a surprising amount of people in the more traditional footballing nations support a foreign team (along with their domestic team). I've seen Italians in Rome wearing West Ham kits, presumably due to the Paolo Di Canio link - that's as tenuous as it gets.

I mean there are bigger things to laugh about than young Johnny supporting Crewe Alexandra. Half the people in the country under the age of 30 - and virtually the entire non-inner city Dublin female population - speak in an American accent. I think that's pretty embarrassing.

It's hard to sustain any kind of fanbase when the G.A.A. has an iron grip on things, the stadiums are worse than English Conference and Scottish League Two stadiums and emigration is culturally ingrained - particularly in the most attractive market segments.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 06/08/2015 at 8:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    In all fairness, most Scandinavian and Dutch lads have an English team they support pretty rigorously.
    more often that not in addition to a local team. That's really the key missing part with Irish barstoolery (barstoolism?).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/...es-high-800000

The number of overseas fans visiting England to watch Premier League matches rose to 800,000 last year, contributing a collective £684m to the economy, according to new research.Though most of the visitors were from the Republic of Ireland (121,000), the league also drew 93,000 from Norway, 58,000 from Sweden and 53,000 from the US.
    Manchester United were the most popular destinations, with Old Trafford and the Emirates both receiving 109,000 international visits last year. Liverpool rank not far behind on 99,000, with 89,000 visiting Chelsea, 51,000 Wembley, 40,000 Tottenham, 33,000 Manchester City, and 30,000 Fulham’s Craven Cottage.
    The research, undertaken on behalf of VisitBritain by the Office for National Statistics, also indicated that football-related tourism is responsible for one in 10 visits to the north-west, and one in 20 trips to the north-east.

The overall £684m economic gain represents a 15% rise – or an increase of £89m – compared to when the research was last conducted in 2010, when 50,000 fewer overseas fans visited.
    While Richard Scudamore, the Premier League’s chief executive, welcomed the numbers as “very encouraging”, some fans groups remain concern that increasing demand will serve to drive up ticket prices still further. Last season fans stagedorganised
    protests against prices
    in the Premier League, while a Guardian survey this month found adult prices in the Championship will regularly surpass £35 – with Sheffield Wednesdaycharging £52 for certain games.
    Sean Bones, the Manchester United Supporters Trust vice-chairman, told the BBC: “It’s good for the country when additional funds come into the economy but we need clubs to reward the long-term loyalty of our supporters.”
    Tracey Crouch, the tourism minister, welcomed the figures as proof of “the positive role football is playing in showcasing key destinations in many different regions … It’s great for local economies, great for football and great for the UK’s tourism industry.”

We're winning...
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    That's over 1/3 of the entire League of Ireland attendance for the 2014 season across 20 clubs.

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Reading comments on this made me feel really depressed this morning. "10% of them in LOI grounds" "10% of the revenue for LOI clubs..." Can anybody imagine the absolute carnage and apocalypse were 12,000-odd extra heads were spread across our games? And worse, a couple of million extra slosh around LOI clubs? Chaos. Our clubs are not built (with very, very few exceptions) to handle money, they're not even able to negotiate as a collective, nor handle TV coverage. It's terrible that this came out the same moment as the Rovers plea to RTE.
    http://www.championat.com/bets/artic...r-week-16.html

Giving the Russians a weekly taste of our glorious LOI!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    they're not even able to negotiate as a collective
    Naughton and co. have been extremely efficient at stopping anyone from doing anything positive.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I have officially seen it all now.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Strummer View Post
    I have officially seen it all now.

There was a Leicester one yesterday, looking forward to them being the new Blackburn rovers. I'm a spurs fan but I'd never wear that.

Page 54 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast