Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 52 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1183

Thread: Barstool facepalm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I don't think this will have any significant impact. With the length of our off season we won't be affected for 4 months of their season. Add that to the fact that most of the Friday games will involve middle to lower teams as the better teams will be playing European games on Tues/Weds/Thurs and won't be playing games on a Friday.

It will just be another excuse for the people who really aren't bothered about attending LoI games anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Have you got more info on this English "rule"? Is it in law or what?

Anyway, banning certain content from being beemed onto people's televisions isn't the solution. Depriving people of choice would only breed discontent. It's about convincing them; not coercing them.
    Slightly more info can be found in the wiki article 'English Football on Television'

I remember seeing something, possibly from uefa, listing the various 'closed times' by association. As the quote in the article indicates that 10 of 22 associations used them. If memory serves Northern Ireland were on that list, having the same times as England, Scotland and Wales (makes sense otherwise Sky would be able to broadcast live 3pm in parts of the uk), but this is contrary to the quote.

I've tried various search terms but have been unable to anything like that list.

Of course that ruling is from the 2011 case. So it's possible that these 'closed times' no longer have a mandate from uefa, or some such guff.

Interesting article here, on the outcome of that case - claims that among other things the 'blackout' is now de facto across europe

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    And the EPL TV rights from 2016-17 have increased by an incredible 70%. Whoever finishes bottom of the EPL in 2017 will trouser in the region of GBP90-100m in television money alone, before selling a single ticket or jersey. Realistically Barca and Real are the only clubs who'll be able to compete (financially) with the likes of Hull.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    is it possible for the FAI to ban the showing of football from another association on Irish T.V
    If that was ever attempted, an army of Maxi type characters would descend upon Abbottstown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    If that was ever attempted, an army of Maxi type characters would descend upon Abbottstown.
    Let's have a whip around for petrol....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Let's have a whip around for petrol....
    Petrol wasnt the problem last time, it was having too short a ladder....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    There's a tweet doing the rounds (sorry, I don't know how to link to such thing!).... you've probably seen the image at some stage, the text is "Don't Let Your Kids Grow Up Thinking Football is a Television Show". Healthy sentiments all League of Ireland and match-going fans would agree with. The originator of the tweet? The Dublin Arsenal Supporters Club. Sometimes you couldn't make this sh1t up.

10. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Saw that yeah. Here's a link: https://twitter.com/brianheneghan/st...54030101823489

PS you can get to an individual tweet and its link if you click on the time/date to the right of the username.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I think the funniest thing is they got so embarrassed they changed their name to Dublin Arsenal on twitter and deleted the tweet.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Got better tonight with the Editor of "World Soccer" trying to sound informed while informing Drivetime that Ireland had "recently" changed to a Summer season. This while reading the nonsense on RTE under Dunphy!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I think the funniest thing is they got so embarrassed they changed their name to Dublin Arsenal on twitter and deleted the tweet.
    The tweet I saw (cheers dodge!) had also attached a tweet where they gave the upcoming TV matches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Bizarrely, Bertie Ahern contributed this to a St. Pat's programme in 1994, shortly before he became leader of Fianna Fáil:

Why on earth was Bertie Ahern allowed (asked?) to write two pages on his love for Manchester United in a St. Pat's programme?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Ah now. Bertie did a hell of a lot worse things then that that people should have pulled him up over.

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    The use of caps is quite funny; it's like he's trying to introduce us to a little known team that he discovered!
    UNITED blah blah blah UNITED blah blah blah
    Ad nauseam.
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Irish people criticising England fans for being boring sh!tes and not doing a mexican wave at their away fixture vs Italy, before launching into a defensive about how it's okay to support English club football because "It may be an English league, but how many English players play in it?".

Logic.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    The league lacks a national vibrancy despite all the main cities being in the Premier Division. People in predominantly gaelic football counties will know more about what's going on in the hurling leagues than in the league of ireland.
    In hurling, Kerry can play away at their level in Division 2A and the Christy Ring Cup. The LoI family throw out the GAA county mentality comment but if a club hasn't a connection with an area, they are unlikely to gain any support.

23. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I haven't read the whole thread but I must do. Seems interesting.

Anyway, I was having a chat with a mate of my about the EPL. It was about this new TV deal. I was saying how sad it is that we won't see another Notts. Forest rise up through from the Div.2 to win a European Cup or a club like Ajax because of the money in the game. He response was 'True, but don't you want to see the best players staying in our and the best coming over?' It took me a second to realize he meant the EPL. This was from a man who is a so-called die hard Ireland fan.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Irish people criticising England fans for being boring sh!tes and not doing a mexican wave at their away fixture vs Italy, before launching into a defensive about how it's okay to support English club football because "It may be an English league, but how many English players play in it?".

Logic.
    My sister-in-law is always have a go at my brother and me for going to see Bohs or our local team Glebe North play. She doesn't understand how people can watch that rubbish. It's the same when Jordan Henderson and Darren Bent were with Sunderland and I'd cheer for England because I'm happy for them and I cheer for them every week so why not now. I even said I'd cheer for a Bohs player (or any LoI player) who made it in to an England team. But then I got the standard response.

Just for the record, I've no problem with people following English football, it's the Sky generation I have a problem with.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Good to see we're finally on the way to a United Ireland.

United behind Liverpool I mean, not United behind United.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Page 52 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast