Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1183

Thread: Barstool facepalm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I asked the girl behind the bar in Pifko to throw in the match on Friday. And she did. The darn Slovaks are more interested in the LOI!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I asked the girl behind the bar in Pifko to throw in the match on Friday. And she did. The darn Slovaks are more interested in the LOI!
    I was in Slovenia before and a bar man there had more knowledge of the league than most Irish people.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    On a positive note, I was in Helsinki last week. Out for drinks with a couple of young local journos. One asked where I was from. "Small place - you probably wouldn't know anything about it - Sligo." Straight away he goes: "Sligo Rovers." Needless to say, my round.

Bizarrely, had the same thing in provincial Germany a few weeks ago. Asked the middle-aged bloke: "How on earth do you know Rovers?" "Everyone knows Sligo Rovers," he replied. I'd dearly love to believe him but I can't help thinking he's probably in the Illuminati or something.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    If clubs want to be serious about bridging a connect between themselves and the proud Irish public, they need to start adopting Union flags and St. George's Crosses.
    Nah, all our clubs have to do is start winning the Champions League. So simple I'm surprised none of them has thought of it yet. We love a winner in this country.

(Sing when you're winning.....)
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivesilver View Post
    On a positive note, I was in Helsinki last week. Out for drinks with a couple of young local journos. One asked where I was from. "Small place - you probably wouldn't know anything about it - Sligo." Straight away he goes: "Sligo Rovers." Needless to say, my round.

Bizarrely, had the same thing in provincial Germany a few weeks ago. Asked the middle-aged bloke: "How on earth do you know Rovers?" "Everyone knows Sligo Rovers," he replied. I'd dearly love to believe him but I can't help thinking he's probably in the Illuminati or something.
    I'm sure the victory over Rosenborg in Trondheim can't have done the club's name any harm. It's bound to have caught the attention of many football supporters across Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Well their victory made me notice them and I was in Canada.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I'm sure the victory over Rosenborg in Trondheim can't have done the club's name any harm. It's bound to have caught the attention of many football supporters across Europe.
    The amount of money we sold Seamus Coleman for has raised our profile around Europe too, sadly.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    The amount of money we sold Seamus Coleman for has raised our profile around Europe too, sadly.
    What was the story with that? He was under 23 so presumably Sligo were entitled to a tribunal fee, but English clubs refuse to pay that and training compensation to Irish clubs so I'm guessing Sligo knew they were bent over a barrel and just got as much money as they could (ie much less than he was worth)? A sad state of affairs for our clubs, and another example of the lack of help provided to us by our supposed national association.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Kerry County final today in front of 8500 supporters and RTE start the sport news with soccer from across the water. Disgrace.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Kerry County final today in front of 8500 supporters and RTE start the sport news with soccer from across the water. Disgrace.
    I made a similar comment when I saw them showing Man. Utd vs Chelsea as their 1st headline.

No relevance to Ireland.

Leinster were playing in European Cup, as you said, County finals all over the country.
    Yeah man, they call gambling a disease, but it's the only disease where you can win a bunch of money.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    An archived RTÉ video news report from 1994 entitled 'Love Hate for Manchester United': http://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/1121...hester-united/

Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ
    Love them or hate them Manchester United have a strong following in Ireland.

20 years ago Gareth O'Connor found out more about the conflicting passions which Manchester United arouse on this side of the Irish sea.

John Giles talks about some of the Irish players connected with United. Gareth also talks to Darren Brereton, from the Manchester United shop in Arnotts department store, and Dermot Ryan from Classic Sports Travel in Stephen's Green.

West Ham fan David Smyth and owner of Smyth's pub provides a haven for soccer fans who don't like the Red Devils, turning his dislike for the pub into a successful business. Another customer in Smyth's pub describes United as a "glorified t-shirt factory".

An RTÉ News report broadcast on 23 November, 1994.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivesilver View Post

I was once in 2013 in a Bray Wanderers match when taking the train back to Dublin I noticed some guys speaking an Scandinavian language to each other. They had the full gear, shirt, scarves, pins, were dressed like diehard Bray fans. I asked them where they were from and how come they ended up there. They were norwegian and said that when playing FIFA at the XBOX somebody started picking up Bray as it's one of the ****tiest teams available in the game, turned into a machine beating everything and everybody and such inner joke spiraled out of control and they finished actually following the team in real life, culminating with the idea of travelling to Ireland to see them play. I kind of understand them because I had a similar relationship with Forfar Athletic because of Football Manager

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luiz View Post
    I was once in 2013 in a Bray Wanderers match when taking the train back to Dublin I noticed some guys speaking an Scandinavian language to each other. They had the full gear, shirt, scarves, pins, were dressed like diehard Bray fans. I asked them where they were from and how come they ended up there. They were norwegian and said that when playing FIFA at the XBOX somebody started picking up Bray as it's one of the ****tiest teams available in the game, turned into a machine beating everything and everybody and such inner joke spiraled out of control and they finished actually following the team in real life, culminating with the idea of travelling to Ireland to see them play. I kind of understand them because I had a similar relationship with Forfar Athletic because of Football Manager
    Pats have a Norwegian supports club. They were on a trip to Dublin when we played IBV in Europe a few years back and they decided to go to the game and got hooked. They come over to loads of games. They were even in Warsaw for our Champions League game this season and came to the home game as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    The Norwegian lads 1st game was 5-1 v rovers on good Friday. Came to dublin for weekend and didn't realise pubs closed that day. Very sound lads and 2 made it over for the Cup final this year too

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luiz View Post
    Must have been late eighties team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I have an irrational grá for Lincoln City because of Premier Manager 98.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    In Europe our league is well known, thanks to bookies and stat junkies (or both). Strangest request I had was in a pub/bar in Kursk being asked for an opinion on Wexford Youths vs Shels! And the folks asking were not gamers or hipsters!

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    In Europe our league is well known, thanks to bookies and stat junkies (or both). Strangest request I had was in a pub/bar in Kursk being asked for an opinion on Wexford Youths vs Shels! And the folks asking were not gamers or hipsters!
    Taxi driver in Bucharest in July 2011 had a decent discussion on a forthcoming Sligo v St. Pats game. Much of the interest is down to betting. Our league is considered to be fair.

27. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain01 View Post
    Taxi driver in Bucharest in July 2011 had a decent discussion on a forthcoming Sligo v St. Pats game. Much of the interest is down to betting. Our league is considered to be fair.
    Fair to middling is about right.

29. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I'm sure this will surprise exactly nobody. Three separate foreign football clubs more popular than any Irish domestic club, or the national team.

Edit: Although I was surprised to see Leeds still up there instead of say, Manchester City or Chelsea. Maybe barstoolers are more loyal than I thought, in a perverse sort of a way

31. Thanks From:

Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast