Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 40 of 60 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Barstool facepalm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Odious? The teachers are trying to teach the kids maths and literacy - this isn't a handy job. Presumably the aim is to catch the kids' imagination. The reality is that using the attention of Premier League footballers is a much better way of doing that than a trip to the Coleraine Showgrounds or Moyola Park (fyi Upperlands is in the middle of nowhere).

I don't like the implications of it, if anything it reminds me of that Simpsons episode where, in the future, the school syllabus is sponsored by Pepsi. But from a football point-of-view, these kids are long gone already. And if I was a child at the school, or a parent, the idea of PL coaches coming over would be fairly thrilling.
    I understand what you're saying but it still sticks in the craw though when you stuff like this happpen. Odious was pretty strong. I was reading about Jonathan Vilma at the time I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    To be fair, it's hardly a uniquely Irish problem. I didn't hear you sneering when that school in China adopted Termonbarry Alberts.
    Eh. I was one of the few who protested. I mean they've managed to bag €150m for shirt sponsorship as a result of the Chinese tie-in. Sickening. Never will pass FFP.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I was talking to a Premier League barstooler yesterday. He was initially dismissive of the LoI. I didn't make any issue of it. I just discussed about how half the current Irish team came through the LoI ranks and on how the FAI do little to promote the talent coming from the league and how they could possibly work with Irish international who've played in the LoI to do some promotional work for the league. The Premier League barstooler in fairness opened his eyes a bit after that, acknowledging talent has come from the league. I'd be of the view speaking about the league's positives than attacking people for having an eye on the global game is the best approach. It's a free world, to a degree!
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

3. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    I was talking to a Premier League barstooler yesterday. He was initially dismissive of the LoI. I didn't make any issue of it. I just discussed about how half the current Irish team came through the LoI ranks and on how the FAI do little to promote the talent coming from the league and how they could possibly work with Irish international who've played in the LoI to do some promotional work for the league. The Premier League barstooler in fairness opened his eyes a bit after that, acknowledging talent has come from the league. I'd be of the view speaking about the league's positives than attacking people for having an eye on the global game is the best approach. It's a free world, to a degree!
    Probably worth pointing out it's not a recent thing either. Ronnie Whelan, Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, all came through the LOI.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    I like the expression "attacking people for having an eye on the global game". Surely Irish parochialism is just as bad as an Irishman who only watches English football? One of the things that has always attracted me to football is its global reach and what it has taught me about the world. The fact that football is a metaphor for many of the world's political, cultural and ideological differences has always fascinated me.

I fully accept that consuming everything British whilst ignoring, or worse, ridiculing, our domestic game is as irritating as anything, but watching the global game (as legendz called it) is a great thing.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I like the expression "attacking people for having an eye on the global game". Surely Irish parochialism is just as bad as an Irishman who only watches English football? One of the things that has always attracted me to football is its global reach and what it has taught me about the world. The fact that football is a metaphor for many of the world's political, cultural and ideological differences has always fascinated me.

I fully accept that consuming everything British whilst ignoring, or worse, ridiculing, our domestic game is as irritating as anything, but watching the global game (as legendz called it) is a great thing.
    I think most LOI fans keep an eye on world football, in general. What I question consistently is people who comment negatively on the league despite not having seen a game in years. In fact, it's ironic that the people that put the league down, never actually see it.

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Yep, that must be unbelievably frustrating.

Am I right in thinking, from afar, that there seems to be a buzz about the start of the LOI season maybe a bit bigger than usual? Or is it just early season optimism? Crowds seem good, games seem good...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Yep, that must be unbelievably frustrating.

Am I right in thinking, from afar, that there seems to be a buzz about the start of the LOI season maybe a bit bigger than usual? Or is it just early season optimism? Crowds seem good, games seem good...
    Strip out Cork's brilliant early attendances and the obvious addition of Galway and Shels to the First Divison, and I'm not sure things are really that far ahead. The league champions have, if anything, gone backwards attendance-wise and Sligo and Dundalk haven't really kicked on. Rovers opening attendance seemed pretty decent and Sligo up next so will be another good one, but after that we'll see if they keep up or tail off. From talking to some Bohs fans, there seems to be a bit of excitement going around the fanbase with some of the things the club is doing. Certainly Friday night was the biggest Dublin derby I can remember in half a decade or more, though I'm sure having a normal Friday night kick-off for once helped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,395 Posts
    If clubs could afford to promote every game the way Cork did their first home game, we'd see a much, much healthier attended league in my opinion.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    If clubs could afford to promote every game the way Cork did their first home game, we'd see a much, much healthier attended league in my opinion.
    Well the corollary of that is that if it was worth so much to Cork (or any other team), they'd do it every week. A one-off effort will only ever lead to a one-off result.

edit: I should clarify I don't know how much advertising they've been doing since the first game. I really hope they keep it up and show us all how it's done.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 24/03/2014 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Great article on the bbc website about dealing with the psychology of defeat and expecatation of winning and what it means to be a fan through the highs and lows.

Some great points in it that would relate to LOI supporters and our barstooling/league knocking brethren

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26704856

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Was at the Off The Ball Liverpool special in Vicar Street tonight. Was... interesting. A lot of people from Ireland proudly calling themselves scousers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Was at the Off The Ball Liverpool special in Vicar Street tonight. Was... interesting. A lot of people from Ireland proudly calling themselves scousers.
    ...an yer childers childer, calm down, you-ihll bee aout in chree munts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Irish Liverpool fan to fly 10,500 miles from Australia to Anfield for final league match - and he DOESN'T have a ticket': http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish...s-pays-3475807

A die-hard Liverpool fan has forked out €1,200 to watch his beloved Reds play their final game on May 11 – and he doesn’t even have a match ticket.

Trevor Hines, an Irish expat working as a hotel manager in Australia, secretly bought a plane ticket in the hope of seeing Liverpool become league champions for the first time in 24 years.

Basking in the glory of their 3-2 victory against Norwich last week, 32-year-old Trevor purchased flights from Melbourne to Manchester without telling his friends or family.

The soccer fanatic, who emigrated from Drogheda, Co Louth, to Melbourne six years ago, watched the game and enjoyed a few pints in the pub before buying the tickets on a whim.

He said: “I didn’t tell anyone, I just walked straight out of the pub and bought the flights on my phone.

“I was worried people would try and talk me out of it. They would have said, ‘What are you doing you crazy man?’

“But I don’t regret a thing.”

Trevor admitted he is “disheartened” about the Reds’ prospects after they lost 2-0 to Chelsea at Anfield on Sunday, ending an 11-game winning streak.

He is now pinning all his hopes on Liverpool lifting the trophy when they clash with Newcastle on May 11.

Trevor said: “Just to be in the city during the last game of the season with the potential to win the league is beyond any emotion describable.

“The thought that we could be champions has just taken over my life during the past three months. I would be absolutely devastated if we lost.” But Trevor is still willing to travel a 60-hour round trip on his own to see his favourite team win.

Since moving overseas, he has made sure he hasn’t missed one match by getting up in the middle of the night to watch games on Foxtel, Australia’s equivalent of Sky Sports.

Thankfully, he is in good company.

Trevor said: “My girlfriend Rachel often gets up with me at 4am and wears my football shirts to watch the match on TV.”
    According to a comment under the story, "half of Drogheda" has "been waiting 20 odd years for this" and is flying over to Liverpool for the final day of the Premier League season, similarly ticketless.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,395 Posts
    Hasn't missed a game....on tv. What a line.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    'Irish Liverpool fan to fly 10,500 miles from Australia to Anfield for final league match - and he DOESN'T have a ticket':

According to a comment under the story, "half of Drogheda" has "been waiting 20 odd years for this" and is flying over to Liverpool for the final day of the Premier League season, similarly ticketless.
    Would it be mean of me to hope that none of them get tickets
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Would it be mean of me to hope that none of them get tickets
    Not at all. I'm actively hoping for an unfortunate delay in Abu Dhabi for him.

bizarre stuff.

I wonder has he managed to take in a Victory or Heart game since moving to Melbourne 6 years ago.

In fairness, I did stay up to watch games on Fox when I lived in Oz.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    "he has made sure he hasn’t missed one match by getting up in the middle of the night to watch games on Foxtel"

Magnificent piece of satire - I wonder if he moves the sofa into another room for away games.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivesilver View Post
    "he has made sure he hasn’t missed one match by getting up in the middle of the night to watch games on Foxtel"

Magnificent piece of satire - I wonder if he moves the sofa into another room for away games.
    To be fair, he is flying halfway around the world so he can get to Liverpool and watch the match in the pub with other true diehards.

26. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivesilver View Post
    " - I wonder if he moves the sofa into another room for away games.
    Nice one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Trevor Hines must be snapping with how things have panned out. I'd love an update on the story. I wonder if he'll still bother travelling.

Page 40 of 60 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast