Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Barstool facepalm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Irish spend €145m on visits to Premier League making a 164,000 visits. But in 2008 there was 267,000 Irish fans who attended a match in the UK. Thats 102,000 less visits, doubt many went these to LOI matches instead.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...303401548.html

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    An average spend of a grand a game?!?! Are these lads morons or what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    An average spend of a grand a game?!?! Are these lads morons or what?
    I work with a bloke who goes to Arsenal matches once or twice a season.

He's a decent enough chap but he spends serious bucks on these trips and spends a week either side of them in work singing that mongrolitic, spasticated 'And it's AW sen u-ul, Awsenu-ul fc, aw by faw the best team the world has evah seen' chant in a Cockney accent. (He's from West Dublin).

It's the stupid accent that puzzles me the most.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by born2bwild View Post
    he spends serious bucks on these trips
    On what though? I know they're expensive enough - you'd see stupid prices in the papers from the travel agencies - but nothing like a grand on average. (Obviously the agents' prices wouldn't include spending money). They'd probably be the first to say the LoI is too expensive at E15 a ticket too.

I might spend a grand on an Ireland away game if I pushed it - but you're talking about flying much further away than England and staying for maybe five days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    On what though? I know they're expensive enough - you'd see stupid prices in the papers from the travel agencies - but nothing like a grand on average. (Obviously the agents' prices wouldn't include spending money). They'd probably be the first to say the LoI is too expensive at E15 a ticket too.

I might spend a grand on an Ireland away game if I pushed it - but you're talking about flying much further away than England and staying for maybe five days.
    Transport to/from airport; flight; to/from Stadium etc ...250 eu
    1 night's accomodation ...100eu
    Match ticket???... 50 eu
    Beer/food/hookers 200 eu?

600 euros, I'm guessing.

Even on a day trip it'd be 400 or so.

Why would any sane man or woman do such a thing???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    It's the stupid accent that puzzles me the most.
    But you get that at League of Ireland games, chants are lifted from England not just word for word but syllable by syllable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    But you get that at League of Ireland games, chants are lifted from England not just word for word but syllable by syllable.
    Yeah my brother said he heard Bohs fans chanting in English accents. Never heard it myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Transport to/from airport; flight; to/from Stadium etc ...250 eu
    1 night's accomodation ...100eu
    Match ticket???... 50 eu
    Beer/food/hookers 200 eu?

600 euros, I'm guessing.

Even on a day trip it'd be 400 or so.

Why would any sane man or woman do such a thing???
    And this, it seems, is only about 70% of what the average trip comprises. Add in a second night's accommodation and you're still not even there.

I've been to a couple of Premiership games (two, to be precise) and spent about £200 (at the time) tops. So have you people at the other end spending E1,500 a trip? Or maybe the article is wrong.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Not football-specific, but nice little line in Charlie Brooker's column today:

Maybe I could plug the gap by forcing myself to get into a sport of some kind. Oh, and obviously it'll have to be something that's televised. I'm not physically moving further than my sofa.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...sion-for-sport

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    And this, it seems, is only about 70% of what the average trip comprises. Add in a second night's accommodation and you're still not even there.

I've been to a couple of Premiership games (two, to be precise) and spent about £200 (at the time) tops. So have you people at the other end spending E1,500 a trip? Or maybe the article is wrong.
    JP McMannus, John Magnier and the Drumaville lads pushed the average spend up a bit I suppose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    I love the attitude of 'Well China do it so it's ok'

This guy was my favourite (admittedly I didn't get much further than this so there could be better ones)

Yep, I'm a Chelsea fan through and through. Influence of a cousin got me into them, and I've just loved em since I was 6. Don't know why, particularly, but probably the high exposure of the English Premier League over here, wanting to belong to what was once a small and select group of football fans.

I love my little trips over to London (and beyond sometimes!) to see Chelsea playing. Either on my own, or with friends, you can always be guaranteed to have a bit of craic going over to the games. I love the whole atmosphere over there, and it's even better at away games. When you're in the minority, when it's us against them, hedged into a small area into the worst stand in the opponent's stadium... the roar of the crowd, the urging on of the players, the passion, the highs, the lows, the glory, the pain... it's all there. and it's just absolutely enthralling and addictive.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Lasted to the end if the second page.

The justification of playing good football keeps coming up.

My argument against that is one word, Bundesliga. That's good football from a competitive entertaining league with great players.

When I've queried why they don't support the Bundesliga in that case they clam up!

I've given up on the Barstooler. It's like arguing with a small deaf child.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemovie View Post
    I've just discovered a whole new form of barstool facepalm. I give you the "bos aghaidhe stól tábhairne". For reasons I won't go into, I happened upon a copy of Foinse (Irish language paper free with the Indo) on Wednesday. They had a page on football - two articles on the Ireland matches and a column on everybody's favourite Irish club..........Celtic.

Basically, it was this guy Cian ó Raghallaigh bemoaning Celtic's losses to St Johnstone and Sion. He actually goes as far as to call the Sion defeat "a sporting disaster". The seriousness of the situation is emphasised by saying Michel Platini is very disappointed with the performance of Scottish clubs. In the middle of this guff about Motherwell's ability to challenge the Old Firm and Sion using unregistered players, the biggest story in Irish sport gets a mention - "When Shamrock Rovers qualified for the group stages during the week, they got about €1 million. So Celtic had a bad night when the Swiss beat them 3-1". That's it. One of the greatest achievements in Irish football history is given a brief airing only as a touchstone for how expensive some British team's failure would have been (had the Swiss not been found cheating).

It seems the cultural nationalists are willing to embrace "foreign games" so long as they're played by foreign teams preferably with some vague Irish connection (though not actually Irish as that could upset the GAA). This paper is mainly aimed at Leaving Cert pupils so it just goes to show how all-pervasive the indoctrination into barstooling is in this country.

And just as I was about to fling it in the recycling, I saw the footnote "Cian's column about the English Premiership will be back next week". Phew!! They only deviated from the regular schedule to discuss this most newsworthy event about a Swiss team beating a Scottish team. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.
    Fabulous post. Says it all, really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    Never heard LOI fans singing in English accents.
    What English regional accent is most commonly used out of interest?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    East end London I find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Never heard LOI fans singing in English accents.
    'Oo arh yah? 'Oo arh yah? 'Oo arh yah?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    The way some of them are talking a League of Ireland club would probably actually have to win a European trophy before they'd consider paying the league some attention.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Yeah, Anglo Irish Bank clients.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Originally Posted by jive
    God I hate this argument. Every other week some gob shíte on here thinks he's copped something genius and that all these lads supporting English teams are hypocrites. Let my rant begin

To kick things off, not all people who support English teams 'hate' England. The quality of football is much better in the premiership and thus makes it more entertaining to watch for the majority of people. I think everyone supports their local team to some extent but to be honest I don't want to pay to stand in the ****ing rain in crap stadiums in the middle of an Irish winter.

The premiership is televised every weekend and matches that aren't televised can be found online. Not only that but Match of the Day is on every Saturday and Sunday night not to mention that Sky Sports News covers the premiership every day of the week. Do you get that level of coverage for any Irish teams? No and for a large number of reasons you never will. Premiership teams also get to play against other European teams in various cup competitions. The fact that you can get all these matches online means you don't even have to have a TV to follow English teams (or you can go down to the pub if you support one of the bigger teams). It actually works out cheaper to follow an English team than an Irish one.

TL;DR
    English teams get more coverage, better coverage, more matches, play against other European teams, can be watched online, better standard of football and it's cheaper.
    The new age barstooler. Why go to LOI games when you can just watch them online. Also does he not realise we play summer football now.

The problem with alot of these barstoolers is that they forgot or never knew what it actually means to support a team. They are scared of the rain and to stingy to put their hands in there pockets and pay into a match. For them supporting their team can take place in a bar, in front of their plaza TV or via online streams. Okay fair enough the facilities in the league are for the most part not great, but I'd much prefer standing in Oriel or any other LOI ground than sitting on my ass watching football through a screen.

Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast