Thread: Barstool facepalm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RahenyBohs View Post
    First sentence in this is worth a facepalm

http://weplayonfridays.com/liverpool...-match-report/
    If I could thank that more than once, I would.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Ssssshhhhh PS. Don't let the secret out.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Went to Dalymount last night. The sight and sound of Irish men, women and children dressed in blue cheering for 'their' team was pathetic.

I'm sure many of those present had actual links to the city of Liverpool and one Shams fan I know went wearing an Everton shirt for his own 'reasons' but as for the rest?

Pathetic.

Standing there in the rain, an army of lost souls, loyal to a club that they cannot, because of geography, actually support, I wonder what they saw when Anto Flood buried Tim Howard to make it 1-1? Many of them probably blanked it out, pretended it didn't happen.

Then again, maybe some of them will start going to LoI matches?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Did it end 1-1?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    yup 1-1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Surprised at the lack of comment on here last night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by born2bwild View Post
    Went to Dalymount last night. The sight and sound of Irish men, women and children dressed in blue cheering for 'their' team was pathetic.

I'm sure many of those present had actual links to the city of Liverpool and one Shams fan I know went wearing an Everton shirt for his own 'reasons' but as for the rest?

Pathetic.

Standing there in the rain, an army of lost souls, loyal to a club that they cannot, because of geography, actually support, I wonder what they saw when Anto Flood buried Tim Howard to make it 1-1? Many of them probably blanked it out, pretended it didn't happen.

Then again, maybe some of them will start going to LoI matches?
    Would there have been roughly an equal number of those wearing Everton rigs as wearing Bohs? Not surprising really considering how many went to the Ireland match with their Man Utd colours on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Didn't count but there was a lot of blue - we sat up where the noisier Boh - es lads usually sit in the Jodi and it was about 60-40 home crowd. Further down the Jodi, were it not for the Dublin accents, you could have been in Liverpool. (I hear Goodison Park is not in very good shape these days either) Ironically there was a good few Bohs fans over behind the school end goal - planting landmines no doubt for the next Shams visit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    a couple of scouse lads chucked out for racist chanting against our ball boy last night according to some posts on our message board. I have often confused a scouse accent with a tallaght accent... but then i remembered there is no direct bus from Tallaght to Dalymount so they must have been toffees...

In all seriousness, a good result and, according to those who were there, we played really nice ball. Hopefully that will attract some of the lost souls to a game or two in the future. Yeah right.

It didnt sell out by the way.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I really wouldn't mind these people so much if they used the same criteria for supporting national sides and club sides.
    Presumed reasons for supporting their national side (Ireland): it's a team which represents their home, their community, the place where they live.
    Presumed reasons for supporting their club side (Everton, Man U., Liverpool etc.): an imagined, invented identification with currently or once successful teams who play in a glamorous (if widely over-hyped) League. Put simply - they support these clubs because they're BIG, largely successful clubs - and they can occasionally watch on television.
    Two different criteria at work here. Logically the national team they support should be Brazil, Germany, etc. (or, most obviously, England). I really wish they would - they'd be a lot less hypocritical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I think this is the right thread for this. Here's a cracking report by the Guardian in England about supporting your own club and how growing a fan owned club is more rewarding than a business type profiteering club.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ester-fc-video

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Why are RTE doing transfer window live updates? It's just embarrassing because 99% of it is just copied from somewhere else. Sky and BBC have reporters and contacts all over England, the best RTE can manage is the Enda Stevens deal (days late) and a few of Man Utd and Liverpool "fans" slagging each other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Sorry, that should read "(days late and from the wrong club)"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMon View Post
    Sorry, that should read "(days late and from the wrong club)"
    I just saw that as well.

They only gave it a "rumour rating" of 2.5/10 too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Maroon View Post
    I just saw that as well.

They only gave it a "rumour rating" of 2.5/10 too.
    It's so wrong, it's right. The chances of UCD player Enda Stevens signing for Villa are pretty minimal.

RTE guy put in his place fairly sharpish, at least he had the guts to publish this:

@Albertwhite (via twitter): "Enda Stevens plays for @ShamrockRovers not UCD. Stop showing your ignorance #rtetransferday".
    Last edited by SwanVsDalton; 31/08/2011 at 12:43 PM.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Some lad in the canteen complained that all the Rovers fans are coming out of the woodwork. This from a Spurs fan.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    I've just discovered a whole new form of barstool facepalm. I give you the "bos aghaidhe stól tábhairne". For reasons I won't go into, I happened upon a copy of Foinse (Irish language paper free with the Indo) on Wednesday. They had a page on football - two articles on the Ireland matches and a column on everybody's favourite Irish club..........Celtic.

Basically, it was this guy Cian ó Raghallaigh bemoaning Celtic's losses to St Johnstone and Sion. He actually goes as far as to call the Sion defeat "a sporting disaster". The seriousness of the situation is emphasised by saying Michel Platini is very disappointed with the performance of Scottish clubs. In the middle of this guff about Motherwell's ability to challenge the Old Firm and Sion using unregistered players, the biggest story in Irish sport gets a mention - "When Shamrock Rovers qualified for the group stages during the week, they got about €1 million. So Celtic had a bad night when the Swiss beat them 3-1". That's it. One of the greatest achievements in Irish football history is given a brief airing only as a touchstone for how expensive some British team's failure would have been (had the Swiss not been found cheating).

It seems the cultural nationalists are willing to embrace "foreign games" so long as they're played by foreign teams preferably with some vague Irish connection (though not actually Irish as that could upset the GAA). This paper is mainly aimed at Leaving Cert pupils so it just goes to show how all-pervasive the indoctrination into barstooling is in this country.

And just as I was about to fling it in the recycling, I saw the footnote "Cian's column about the English Premiership will be back next week". Phew!! They only deviated from the regular schedule to discuss this most newsworthy event about a Swiss team beating a Scottish team. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

21. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If that's Ciaran O'Raghallaigh then he writes for the Mirror. Took no interest in Irish soccer until last week.

And unfortunately for Foinse, Celtic are back in so not such a sporting disaster after all! Just a cultural one.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 02/09/2011 at 7:15 PM.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Jersey day in school the other day out of around 700 students I was the only one with a LOI jersey on while I only saw a few Ireland jerseys the rest where United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Madrid and everyones new favorite Barcelona.
    Last edited by outspoken; 04/09/2011 at 8:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Jersey day in school the other day out of around 700 students I was the only one with a LOI jersey on while I only saw a few Ireland jerseys the rest where United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Madrid and everyones new favorite Barcelona.
    What no Rovers bar stoolers?

25. Thanks From:

Page 11 of 60 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast